Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
CLEAN

Drives: '19 Stingray '22 MB GLC 300
1LE tire question

I just recently noticed that the 1LE option gives you ZL1 size wheels, but does not give you ZL1 sized rubber. you get the 285's all the way around, instead of getting the 305 rears. Was there ever a reason for this that was discussed? Search came up w/ zilch. Just based purely on aesthetics, I think the 305's would look better, so I don't see any reason why they couldn't be added post purchase to the stock wheels, unless I'm missing something. Anyone know of any issues?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
From personal experience, all four tires being the same size is the best handling (Feels best). And from what I've always been told, having all four tires the same size is also the best for road course racing. Someone feel free to correct me, but I thought that was why some members here buy a set of SS rears to place in front

edit: but yeah they should be able to be wider just fine if it fits on the ZL1... unless something else has changed.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
powerslave
Assembly: April 12/12

Drives: A Self-Propelled Mechanical Vehicle
"20-INCH, 10-SPOKE BLACK WHEELS WITH LOW-GLOSS BLACK FINISH AND 285/35ZR20 GOODYEAR EAGLEŽ SUPERCAR G:2 TIRES1
The front and rear wheels of 1LE are borrowed from the ZL1 and have a low-gloss black finish with a 10-spoke design. They are optimized to hold up on the track and provide a powerful appearance. The Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar Generation 2 (G:2) front and rear tires
1 (identical to the front tires for ZL1) contribute to outstanding handling."

Seems to be the same brakes, car width, etc I don't see any obvious reason why you couldn't add the wider wheels, aside from money, they're a few thousand dollars each. If I remember correctly from the ZL1 videos I've seen, the rear tires actually extend slightly beyond the edge of the car body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malave7567 View Post
From personal experience, all four tires being the same size is the best handling (Feels best). And from what I've always been told, having all four tires the same size is also the best for road course racing.
Well, true in a sense... until you get to extremes like Formula 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEAN View Post
I just recently noticed that the 1LE option gives you ZL1 size wheels, but does not give you ZL1 sized rubber. you get the 285's all the way around, instead of getting the 305 rears.
Actually, it doesn't give you the same wheels, it gives you 4 'front' ZL1 wheels (according to the blurb), because the rims are different on the back of the ZL1: 20 x 10 on the front and 20 x 11 on the back.

Last edited by powerslave; 05-07-2012 at 02:30 PM.
powerslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
gcope63

Drives: 2007 Corvette, 2004 Grand Prix GTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave View Post
"20-INCH, 10-SPOKE BLACK WHEELS WITH LOW-GLOSS BLACK FINISH AND 285/35ZR20 GOODYEAR EAGLEŽ SUPERCAR G:2 TIRES1
The front and rear wheels of 1LE are borrowed from the ZL1 and have a low-gloss black finish with a 10-spoke design. They are optimized to hold up on the track and provide a powerful appearance. The Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar Generation 2 (G:2) front and rear tires 1 (identical to the front tires for ZL1) contribute to outstanding handling."

Seems to be the same brakes, car width, etc I don't see any obvious reason why you couldn't add the wider wheels, aside from money, they're a few thousand dollars each. If I remember correctly from the ZL1 videos I've seen, the rear tires actually extend slightly beyond the edge of the car body.

Well, true in a sense... until you get to extremes like Formula 1.

Not sure where you heard "thousands each" but on Tire Rack they are $449 each for the 305/35ZR20 Goodyear Supercar G2 tires..
One issue you might run into with going to the larger tires is reprogramming the computer to read speed correctly...

Gary
gcope63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
powerslave

I wasn't talking about tires, I said "wheels".
Old 05-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
gcope63

Drives: 2007 Corvette, 2004 Grand Prix GTP
Sorry, misread it...
gcope63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
powerslave

...maybe(hopefully) you could pick the option when you order a 1LE and have a deep discount, like when ordering larger diameter wheels with an SS or what-have-you during the purchase of the vehicle and they're only a fraction of the cost that they would be if you ordered from GM after the fact.

...really, I'm confused as to why the wheel set up wouldn't be the same on the 1LE as the ZL1 and I'm wondering if it's possible that it's misinformation.

Someone with more info chime in please!
Old 05-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
1LE is being designed for road racing. With that in mine the same tire size all the way around the car handles better. The ZL1 is built for the strip and road racing, to give you good performance on the strip they went with big rear end tires. You still do great in road racing the ZL1 with the different tire setup but that is where the magnetic ride comes in to help.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
CLEAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave View Post
[I]"[SIZE=3]

Actually, it doesn't give you the same wheels, it gives you 4 'front' ZL1 wheels (according to the blurb), because the rims are different on the back of the ZL1: 20 x 10 on the front and 20 x 11 on the back.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...07&postcount=1

which states.....
Other changes to optimize the 1LE for track-day use include:

Larger, 27-mm solid front stabilizer bar, and 28-mm solid rear stabilizer bar for improved body control
Higher-capacity rear-axle half shafts to cope with increased levels of traction
Strut tower brace for improved steering feel and response
ZL1-based 20 x 10-inch front and 20 x 11-inch aluminum wheels
285/35ZR20 Goodyear Eagle Supercar G:2 tires front and rear (identical to the front tires for ZL1)
ZL1 wheel bearings, toe links and rear shock mounts for improved on-track performance
ZL1 high-capacity fuel pump and additional fuel pickups for improved fuel delivery during high-cornering
Old 05-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
spencer489

Drives: 2013 Pre-Production SW Camaro 1le
how are 305's going to make it look better
spencer489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
CLEAN

I just like the wider look. the 1LE got the wider rear wheels, I'm just curious why the wider tires didn't come w/ them.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #13
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
I suspect the roughly-150 hp difference necessitates the ZL1-specific 305s on the rear (1" wider tread width than the 285s). The 1LE has similar output to the SS, give or take a dozen-or-so stallions, so its 285/35s are considerably more suitable than the SS's 275/40s (.70" shorter and .80" wider) but narrower and lighter (by 1lb) than the ZL1's 305/35s.

Being equal sizes, for those torturing the fronts on a road course, they are rotatable front-to-rear (from one rim to the other), as well, for more even wear. At the moment, Goodyear is the only supplier with 305/35s on the rack.

Here's something to ponder: those "small" 285s, with an extra 200+ hp, are the standard rear tires for the '13 GT 500...think how tortured they'll be in that application...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
CLEAN

Corvette Grand Sport got Z06's rear tires, even though it's powered by the "base" LS3. Just sayin...

I guess I'd be happy or at least understanding if the 285's proved a better balanced package, but w/ the stiffer bar in back and wider wheels as part of the package, just seems odd that they'd not go w/ the bigger tire as well. No worries, I can just buy a set of 4 305's, put 2 on, and keep the other 2 and the 2 285's I take off for my next set. Rears cost about the same as the fronts, so it's not like it's costing much for the upgrade, other than the upfront cost.