Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #99
drtwo

Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstLSK View Post
I laugh when people make the jump off the bridge comment. You are only hurting yourself. I take it you will only buy the cheapest hand tools as well..... because you don't want to jump off the Craftsman bridge... and surely not the Snap-On, Matco, etc. bridge.

I think the smarting thing would be to TRY some of the products and see if it is hype or actually provides results. Then, you can formulate an informed opinion (good or bad) and share it with others.
Not true as I think you are trying to generalize. If an equally good product is available anywhere or is proven better than the alternative...I'll get it (craftsman, snap-on, etc...).

Hype comes when an ok product (ie. Zaino) it made out to be somehow superior to other products simply because it gives a shine and is not OTC, simply because you pay more for it, or simply because it comes in boring bottles with fast sounding names (z-2, z-5, z-fx, AcCeLeRaToR). There is nothing in Zaino that you can't find in any wax or polish brand. My goal here is to do exactly what you are saying and find an OTC product that is just as good as the infamous Zaino where I don't have to send off $200 plus shipping for a 'system' to wax my car. I need a clay bar, some wax and that is it. I don't need bee-imbeded detailing spray, Grand Finale Super Spray, Ultra Clean Fresh Scent Gloss Enhancer Spray, Super-duper window cleaner, micro grit remover, Fusion Dual Action foaming spiral remover, skunk smell remover, leather seat tanning lotion or camel skinned drying towels. I should be able get by with the basics and find a clay bar and good wax locally and skip all the ridiculous add-ons that sound like a women's cosmetic counter.

With this discussion, I hope others will then benefit and save time/money too. I've never implied that I want the cheapest, but Zaino-ites are always so defensive about their overly complicated 'system' reputation. So I'll say it; here it is: Zaino works just fine!!! But, just because I don't want to use Zaino doesn't mean that I don't like my car, nor that I want the cheap way out, nor that I'm some sort of waxing rebellious zealot. I don't want to 'follow the crowd' on this one, because I think others also want an good, local alternative that is absolutely just as good as the almighty Zaino. This forum has been far too biased with Zaino and it needs noted alternatives.
Quote:

Unlike those who may see it as "jumping off a bridge", I have empirical knowledge of both the auto store shelf stuff, and pro-grade products. I can tell you that you are only selling you, and your paint short by buying that OTC stuff.
We shall see my friend, we shall see... And I will bask in the sun with a beer as the Zaino-ites scrub the need less lotions and potions into the surface all day long!!! Ahhh ha ha ha

Last edited by drtwo; 02-07-2010 at 03:25 PM.
drtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #100
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwo View Post
Not true as I think you are trying to generalize. If an equally good product is available anywhere or is proven better than the alternative...I'll get it (craftsman, snap-on, etc...).

Hype comes when an ok product (ie. Zaino) it made out to be somehow superior to other products simply because it gives a shine and is not OTC, simply because you pay more for it, or simply because it comes in boring bottles with fast sounding names (z-2, z-5, z-fx, AcCeLeRaToR). There is nothing in Zaino that you can't find in any wax or polish brand. My goal here is to do exactly what you are saying and find an OTC product that is just as good as the infamous Zaino where I don't have to send off $200 plus shipping for a 'system' to wax my car. I need a clay bar, some wax and that is it. I don't need bee-imbeded detailing spray, Grand Finale Super Spray, Ultra Clean Fresh Scent Gloss Enhancer Spray, Super-duper window cleaner, micro grit remover, Fusion Dual Action foaming spiral remover, skunk smell remover, leather seat tanning lotion or camel skinned drying towels. I should be able get by with the basics and find a clay bar and good wax locally and skip all the ridiculous add-ons that sound like a women's cosmetic counter.

With this discussion, I hope others will then benefit and save time/money too. I've never implied that I want the cheapest, but Zaino-ites are always so defensive about their overly complicated 'system' reputation. So I'll say it; here it is: Zaino works just fine!!! But, just because I don't want to use Zaino doesn't mean that I don't like my car, nor that I want the cheap way out, nor that I'm some sort of waxing rebellious zealot. I don't want to 'follow the crowd' on this one, because I think others also want an good, local alternative that is absolutely just as good as the almighty Zaino. This forum has been far too biased with Zaino and it needs noted alternatives.

We shall see my friend, we shall see... And I will bask in the sun with a beer as the Zaino-ites scrub the need less lotions and potions into the surface all day long!!! Ahhh ha ha ha

DrTwo, you do an excellent job at expressing yourself. Kudos to you for that.

I think the bottom line is if you are happy with the results that you are getting from OTC products, then that is all that matters. After all, we don't have to be happy with the look you achieve as it is not our car. However, if during your search for a product equivalent to the professional lines yields no acceptable results, I'm sure that the Zainoites, Meguiarites and Adamnites will be more than willing to invite you into their fold.

I hope to see you at Camaro5 Fest. You seem like a bunch of fun to get going!

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #101
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Just let us know what you decide to go with so we can tell ya what a big mistake you made. kidding of course!....seriously though, there's alot of great products out there...megs NXT or megs #26 has my vote for OTC..Just be familiar with what your getting, ie.. if you get a nuba like #26, you will need to do it more often...NXT is a sealant which should last you atleast 3-4 months..
Old 02-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #102
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
Quote:

Best of luck, my friend. By empirical, I mean that I have already been down the road that you are traveling. What I found is right in-line with what Junkman has already stated 100 times over. You will find some OTC stuff that work O.K.... and if O.K. is good enough for you, then you will be easily satisfied with something like NXT. If you think that you are going to find an OTC product that will match a pro-grade product...... God speed and may the force be with you.

The problem with your quest is that you will never know if it matches the pro-grade products unless you compare them yourself.

I really hope that you can find that magic OTC product that, somehow, nobody has tried yet. It would surely save me lots of money and I would drop Zaino in two seconds.

BTW, I have been using Zaino since LONG before the 5th gen came around. No kool-aid -- I was just tired of how quickly other waxes and sealants would wear off. I found Zaino while searching for some kind of paint protectant that would outlast the OTCs. It not only lasted a very long time, but the visual results were jaw dropping.

Call me a Zainoite if you will, but I sincerely wish you the best of luck in your quest. I would love for you to find an OTC that would yield pro-grade results and longivity. I am actually on your side.... I was just trying to save you the pain and cost of the road already traveled.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:06 AM   #103
mulletman

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Let those who have gone before you show you the way.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #104
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
Let those who have gone before you show you the way.
the whole reason that there is a need for a C5 forum
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #105
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I'm just going to make a few comments;

A. This purpose of this thread was for alternatives to Zaino.
B. There is NO reason to start putting down a product (ie; Zaino) just because; 1.) You've never tried it, 2.) You're tired of the "hype", 3.) You feel theres too much support of Zaino.

Let's get back to offering thoughts and opinions, and AVOID getting into what seem like little petty arguments over one product versus another.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #106
drtwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I'm just going to make a few comments;

A. This purpose of this thread was for alternatives to Zaino.
B. There is NO reason to start putting down a product (ie; Zaino) just because; 1.) You've never tried it, 2.) You're tired of the "hype", 3.) You feel theres too much support of Zaino.

Let's get back to offering thoughts and opinions, and AVOID getting into what seem like little petty arguments over one product versus another.

Ed
A: you are correct, only I would add, 'available locally/OTC'

B: Not sure who is putting Zaino down, but point A tells you why I don't care to continue hearing about how good Zaino is. That's why I posted this thread...BESIDES ZAINO. I understand that it is a fine product, but am looking for alternatives. Conversation keeps coming back to users of Zaino... So Zaino-ites STAY AWAY!
Old 02-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #107
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
A: you are correct, only I would add, 'available locally/OTC'

B: Not sure who is putting Zaino down, but point A tells you why I don't care to continue hearing about how good Zaino is. That's why I posted this thread...BESIDES ZAINO. I understand that it is a fine product, but am looking for alternatives. Conversation keeps coming back to users of Zaino... So Zaino-ites STAY AWAY!

You got me, I missed "OTC".

I was trying to refocus the thread on your original question.

And, ATTENTION ALL USERS OF ZAINO! THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR YOU!

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #108
drtwo

NICE, now that's what I'm talking about!!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #109
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
+1
Old 02-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #110
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Best Wax?...............................Collinite
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #111
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
.... and with that caveat, this thread has died.... LOL

Best OTC combo that I ever found for looks was.... 3M hand glaze, followed by Zymol. Best longivity OTC product that I found was NXT.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #112
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Quote:
.... and with that caveat, this thread has died.... LOL