Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-01-2014, 11:17 PM   #29
mylftft

Drives: 2013 TT ZL1
Just buy my car & be done Jess, it'll knock you on your ass!
Old 05-02-2014, 05:32 PM   #30
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylftft View Post
Just buy my car & be done Jess, it'll knock you on your ass!
I wish I could afford to buy both your and ayousef's cars then I would have one white, one black and one red ZL1 and maybe I would be able to keep at least one of them running at all times.....lol.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #31
mylftft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I wish I could afford to buy both your and ayousef's cars then I would have one white, one black and one red ZL1 and maybe I would be able to keep at least one of them running at all times.....lol.
Kevin at AGP has been trying to get my car into him for a long time to compound it, my car already has the big air to water cooling system on it, it would be easy.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #32
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Kevin at AGP has been trying to get my car into him for a long time to compound it, my car already has the big air to water cooling system on it, it would be easy.
Now I don't understand how that would be easy because you would have to remove that great big air to water intercooler brick because it is sitting right where the supercharger goes.... Is he going to try to compound a centrifical and a set of turbos because that really does not make sense to me, that is the only way I see leaving that great big brick you have in there.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #33
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
I think what he meant was it is easy because just swap that for a whipple/maggie. HE is mounted, water lines there, ice tank there, etc. Just swap intake manifold for a blower. Done.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #34
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
Just do it Jess! I double dog dare you!! LOL!!!
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #35
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Just read this entire thread and it is hilarious to see when people are just not happy with 800hp. This is exactly why I love this thing we do called building Hot Rods because it never ends and after you think you've seen it all, someone comes up with another take on it. Jess you are the man and I love how you are continually pushing the performance on your car.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #36
mylftft

Quote:
Now I don't understand how that would be easy because you would have to remove that great big air to water intercooler brick because it is sitting right where the supercharger goes.... Is he going to try to compound a centrifical and a set of turbos because that really does not make sense to me, that is the only way I see leaving that great big brick you have in there.
Unreal is correct! Unbolt my Lingenfelter intake that sells for the price of a Maggie/Whipple & bolt the blower in place, I already have the huge intercooler fluid tank, huge heat exchanger in the grill, all the coolant lines, ridiculous flow rated intercooler pump, ice tank in the trunk that activates on a switch for racing & my turbos are big enough to support 1400 rwhp. Go ahead & dare me, I just left Camarofest, car is on a trailer, all I have to do is make a right turn & go about 4 hours out of my way.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #37
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
If you come through Odessa let me know I'll meet you and buy you lunch! Have a safe trip back home.
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:56 PM   #38
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Unreal is correct! Unbolt my Lingenfelter intake that sells for the price of a Maggie/Whipple & bolt the blower in place, I already have the huge intercooler fluid tank, huge heat exchanger in the grill, all the coolant lines, ridiculous flow rated intercooler pump, ice tank in the trunk that activates on a switch for racing & my turbos are big enough to support 1400 rwhp. Go ahead & dare me, I just left Camarofest, car is on a trailer, all I have to do is make a right turn & go about 4 hours out of my way.
My pump, exchanger and reservoir are the same as yours... remember he built them at the same time....lol. The reason that Lingenfelter intake manifold is so expensive is because it has about 4x the cooling capacity of any supercharger available. The entire space is dedicated to cooling, no rotors.....

I think if you pull that intake you are going to have to find some supplemental cooling somewhere because the big reservoir and pump are not enough with the supercharger cooling bricks. When I ran out of ice bags at the mile, my car was pulling 3 degrees of timing because IAT's got too hot in 24 seconds or whatever time it took to run the mile. That is pushing the car to the start line and doing no burnout to keep the heat down...... with over 2 hours since the previous pass.

If you swapped on a LS9 supercharger and I swap on a matching set of your turbos we would have the exact same induction and cooling systems....and we would both need more induction cooling. If those AGP guys think you can push over 20 pounds of boost through the stock supercharger bricks and cool it to safe IAT levels they don't have any real world experience. It may work on a 5 second dyno pull but probably would pull timing in a 9 second 1/4 mile. Forgot about a one mile race or road racing.

You probably already drove by there and it is probably a good thing because your car is awesome and putting a blower on it would probably hurt more than it would help.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #39
mylftft

My car is perfect the way it is, showcar looks, tons of power, ridculously drivable, stupid fast, I don't think there is another 1000+ rwhp car anywhere with better IAT's than my car. Besides all that Andy told me he'd kick me in the nuts if I tried anything like that, I don't wanna get kicked in the nuts!
Old 05-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #40
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
My car is perfect the way it is, showcar looks, tons of power, ridculously drivable, stupid fast, I don't think there is another 1000+ rwhp car anywhere with better IAT's than my car. Besides all that Andy told me he'd kick me in the nuts if I tried anything like that, I don't wanna get kicked in the nuts!
Lol.. yeah, the nut kicking is no fun... As much trouble as I have had with IAT's I'm looking at any viable option. As you correctly noted your IAT's are very good for your levels of boost. 14 pounds is all I can sustain before the heat starts to shut me down.

I'm thinking I could get one of the air to water bricks that the certrifical superchargers use and put it where my stock air filter is since I would have air filters under the car at the turbochargers. This would give me a first intake cooling pass between the turbos and supercharger.

I could scale way down on the supercharger pulleys so the supercharger is running at about twice engine rpm rather than 3x. Maybe peak supercharger boost of about 7 pounds.

This would be the difficult part but in addition to the idle speed and low throttle supercharger bypass, set up the supercharger bypass so when the car gets over say 4000-4500 rpm it opens the supercharger bypass valve and the supercharger makes no more boost and at that rpm just run it completely off the turbos. I'm fairly certain this would significantly reduce intake temps. I believe the air routing on the LS9 still passes all the bypass air through the supercharger bricks before it enters the engine heads. So turbocharged only air would first pass the centrifical air to water cooler brick in place of my air cleaner and then it would pass the supercharger bricks.

In a full throttle pass when the car hits the point the bypass opens and it instantly loses the seven pounds of boost the supercharger was giving it I'm thinking give it a good 300 shot of nitrous at the same instant the bypass opens and it may actually feel like all hell is breaking loose as the boost transitions from compound to turbos and nitrous.... With some big turbos and a little spray I'm thinking 1500 to 1800whp on tires may be possible.

Then I will have to think about breaking the rest of the driveline....

Old 05-04-2014, 06:25 PM   #41
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
Quote:
I think if you pull that intake you are going to have to find some supplemental cooling somewhere because the big reservoir and pump are not enough with the supercharger cooling bricks. When I ran out of ice bags at the mile, my car was pulling 3 degrees of timing because IAT's got too hot in 24 seconds or whatever time it took to run the mile. That is pushing the car to the start line and doing no burnout to keep the heat down...... with over 2 hours since the previous pass.

If you swapped on a LS9 supercharger and I swap on a matching set of your turbos we would have the exact same induction and cooling systems....and we would both need more induction cooling. If those AGP guys think you can push over 20 pounds of boost through the stock supercharger bricks and cool it to safe IAT levels they don't have any real world experience. It may work on a 5 second dyno pull but probably would pull timing in a 9 second 1/4 mile. Forgot about a one mile race or road racing.
Haha, let me help you understand step one of the most basic part of this. A PD blower is a locked rotation pressure multiplier. And they only work well at low pressure multiplication. What you think of as a 7.25psi setting, start thinking as a 1.5:1 multiplier. Whatever pressure you put into it, it's going to multiply by 1.5. Down at this pressure ratio it's little pathetic intercooler can handle it, assuming the air started out at a reasonable temperature. So to reach desired boost level we just feed it desired pressure /1.5 from the turbo. The air out of the turbo was already cooled down in an air-air intercooler 90%.
So 10psi (170kpa) from the turbos x 1.5 = 23psi (255kpa)
It's actually much more complicated than this but that gives you the general idea.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #42
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
10 multiplied by 1.5 is a little less than 23

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote