Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
5,000 Mile Camaro Review (1LT)

As some of you know and may have read before (Original Camaro Review, my friend has a 2010 CTF Camaro. Well he just hit 5,000 on his baby and he sent me his 5,000 mile review. Enjoy.

Here are my thoughts after 5000 miles of driving the Camaro. A little wordy I now see! Sorry.

This a very early VIN, less than 50.

Performance:
Fuel economy now averages 25.6 mixed driving (highway, city, traffic) I have been using the cruise when possible on the highway, usually set at 70 (the speed limit here)! I also have pushed her with hard shifting, fast acceleration, etc.

The V6 is fast! Period!, No its not 400+ horses, but acceleration is quick and smooth. Even at 70 MPH, keeping it in 6th gear & 'punching' it will provide passing speed in a flash. Drop to 5th and you could use a 'G' suit! No one will be displeased by the V6 performance, you may WANT a V8, but you certainly do not NEED a V8!! This is not an engine/transmission combo with sports car appearance and grocery getter performance.

And no, I have not experienced a single issue with the 6 speed transmission. She shifts smoothly. Clutch still feels fine. I do not like the position of REVERSE, but once you are used to it, its not an issue. And now with the recent reflash, there is a 'BEEP' when you shift into reverse and a large 'R' appears in the DIC.

The throw is short as you can imagine, and that makes for quick and effortless shifting. The gear range is best I have experienced since a 1964 Chevy Pick-up with 3 on the tree and a broken clutch! :-)
The gearing is very forgiving between gears, you won't stall her starting out in 2nd as an example and she does not drag in a lower gear until you really get below the threshold. I have found that the cruising gears prefer RPMs at almost exactly 2000 for best performance and economy.

Handling/Ride: Handling is superb! On twisty turns she takes them at high speed with no issues as long as you do not shift IN the turn. Ride is much better than expected. I remain with my opinion that she does not ride like a Cadillac, but yet the ride is not what you expect from a performance car (or at least what I expected). It is a firm ride with little sway. The shocks absorb enough bumps on our pothole infested highways to not spill my diet coke! One note: the tire pressure has maintained constant pressure for all 4 tires on a continuous basis. They fluctuate between 34 and 39 dependent on weather conditions, but they are all the same not a mismatch between front right and left as an example.

I have driven her on ice, in snow 3-4 inches deep, in fierce driving rain, and thru water high enough that it was at the bottom door sill. Not a single issue: no spin outs, no stalls, no loss of traction... AS LONG AS I did my part! In fact during an ice storm, the Camaro made it out of driveway and onto main road with no issues, but my wife's Solstice was spinning out (me driving both for a comparison).

Overall, this is one of the best driving experiences I have had. If only it was a convertible! The only vehicles that come close are Solstice and Corvette.

Exterior: I realize beauty is in eye of beholder, but this car gets folks attention! I continue to get horns honked, thumbs up, people taking cell phone pics, and swamped at almost every parking lot I am in! What really surprises me is WHO is reacting. It is a wide range: young, old, male, female...and folks driving Mustangs, Challengers to Lexus' and mini-vans! And remember this is a plain jane vehicle, no stripes, not an SS. Just a Silver 1LT. I can only imagine the reactions a striped SS will garner!

Trunk space is large, but opening is small. A large suitcase on wheels is an issue getting into trunk. Yes I know it's not a sedan, but some will complain. Not sure if golf bags will fit [MY EDIT: we know from Number 3 that two will fit in with the back seat closed.], but a double scoped rifle hard case only fits with the rear seat folded down. Again, just a review not an indictment on the lack of trunk space.

Interior: I mentioned before, the steering controls, (phone controls to be exact), are difficult for me to reach given the sharp angle of the steering wheel inserts. HVAC controls are great, easy to use, a nice feel to them with the soft rubber surfaces. The center mounted door lock/unlock controls take a little to get used to, but are convenient for both driver and passenger to reach and use.

Glove box is large enough to be useful. Center console storage is not. Its shallow, and not much good for anything besides sunglasses and a cell phone charger [MY EDIT: MP3 player, ipod, USB drive will also fit. I noted the small size also yesterday when I drove a 1LT, but I don't plan on keeping much in there anyway]. Cup holders work great. 2 sizes are nice, one for a larger cup and one perfectly sized for my diet coke can.

On the center console, I never noticed it until the weather got warmer, but driving in short sleeves, the 'rubber' like texture of the console top sticks to my skin. Its very irritating. So much so that I have now placed a towel over it, which looks terrible. I would highly recommend a no stick smoother surface. You are not going to place anything on top of it anyway.

Instrument cluster is easily readable, but the way I set the steering wheel and seat I have a hard time reading the speedometer. Not really an issue, since the DIC has a great MPH display dead center in the cluster.

The DIC controls are not like typical GM cars, so spend a few moments getting used to them. I would like to see an instant economy screen like so many of our other vehicles. But you get 2 tripmeters, avg speed & avg economy (resettable), compass, oil life, engine coolant, tire pressure monitoring (one screen for all 4 tires-unlike may of GM vehicles), voltage, speed warning and fuel range. And the controls to manipulate thru the screens are within easy reach on turn signal stalk.

The radio is one of best we have. The features are great. It's the AM/FM/XM/CD. You can dial the phone from the radio if you desire not to use Bluetooth or ONSTAR voice commands. Nice for the passenger.

The sunroof is large, and when in flip up position has acceptable noise levels even at highway speeds. However, I do not like the sunroof controls. There is a single switch that once pressed will move the sunroof all the way to fully open position. You have to press it again to get it into the 'cracked'/'flip up' position. Small complaint, but again this is a review.

The back seat is fine for 2 car seats. My grandchildren fit there no problem, one in a car seat, other in a booster. But adults taller than 5'6" will feel cramped. Leg room is minimal at best and their heads come very close to roof. I would not want to travel any distance in rear seat. But again, it is not a family sedan. One other thing, when 2 adults are in back seat, visibility gets reduced through the rear window. Get used to using your outside rear view mirrors!

While speaking of visibility, initially it was an issue. But after a few months and 5000 miles. I don't even notice it. The ' turret' effect some speak of goes away quickly. I have no problem seeing merging traffic or the road ahead. If I was 'King for a day", I would include a rear view camera, (I got spoiled on vehicles with them). But there is a large blind spot directly behind car, so be sure and look before backing up over the family cat or a kid's bike!

Wind and road noise are minimal. The sealing of the windows is great. The way they come down then go back up when opening and closing the doors gave me concern, but they work well and do their job.

Door storage pockets are shallow and again not much use for anything, I keep my gas receipts in the driver door, about only things that fit. I don't have the center SS gauges so there is a storage spot there that is very handy. Rear seat access is OK, the release for the front seats are in center back of the front seats, not a great location, would prefer closer to outside edge, but once you know where they are not an issue.

The passenger seat is low. And mine is not height adjustable. So visibility over dash and hood is not great. But my wife does not complain, just mentions it! Drivers seat is very comfortable. I have the power seat. But I would like to see lumbar controls. This would help on long drives. If you cannot find a comfortable position with the power seat controls, telescoping and tilt steering wheel, then you must have a rather unique body style! :-)

Lastly, I have experienced no mechanical, electrical, safety or performance issues in 5000 miles. I love this car! And look forward to my 1.5 + hour commute each morning and evening.

Now, how do I convince the wife we NEED a Solstice AND a Camaro!!
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
RB43TD
Me Likey My Camaro

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 1LT/RS Camaro
Great info. Thanks!
Old 05-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Good stuff. Pretty much what I thought. Now I just need mine
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Well, I've heard so many reveiws and opinions and saw the car first hand, I'm starting to be able to give my own reveiw without even having one yet. I agree UCF, pretty standard reveiw. Very encouraging especialy the v6 power stuff. Oh, and this line ("The only vehicles that come close are Solstice and Corvette")doesn't hurt either.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
bradRS

Drives: Pontiac Solstice GXP
Loved this review...

My Solstice GXP may very well be replaced with the Camaro LT...or shall I wait for the convertible?

Song: "Torn Between Two Lovers" comes to mind.
bradRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Glorious! Is it January yet? Or does anyone have 15k I can have for a downpayment lol?
Old 05-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
LosXC451

Drives: 2010 SS SIM w/ RS
Nice write up thanks
LosXC451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
good stuff. That annoyance with the rubbery material is most likely remedied with a 2lt or 2ss, which will have leather interior surfaces. But very good review!

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
Nice review!!

Sounds like you're really enjoying the car. Hard to believe there are Camaros with 5,000 miles on them already, but thats what the car is made for, to be driven!!
Wesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #10
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
good stuff. That annoyance with the rubbery material is most likely remedied with a 2lt or 2ss, which will have leather interior surfaces. But very good review!
Good to know. So the SS 2LT or 2SS models have leather on the center console as well then, not just the seats??
Wesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #11
Travis64

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1lt rs auto 4-9-11
I have driven her on ice, in snow 3-4 inches deep,

on summer tires?this is the only thing i worry about with this car
Travis64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #12
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis64 View Post
I have driven her on ice, in snow 3-4 inches deep,

on summer tires?this is the only thing i worry about with this car
It's a 1LT, and he didn't mention the RS package, so I assume he has the all-season tires.
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #13
Travis64

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1lt rs auto 4-9-11
true

would think this thing would get more then 25mpg on highway going 70

u ever break 30 mpg on a tank?
Travis64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #14
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
Nice review!!

Sounds like you're really enjoying the car. Hard to believe there are Camaros with 5,000 miles on them already, but thats what the car is made for, to be driven!!
Number 3 just rolled over 13,000!!!!!

And Camaropete, thanks for posting the review. Good stuff.