Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
A question about supercharger noises from an LSA engine.

I've been noticing a weird sound that's coming from the supercharger on my ZL1's engine. It kinda sorta sounds like a worn out bearing on an idler pulley but a little louder. (Almost like someone put a few marbles inside and they're slapping around inside.) I took the car to the dealership and they said all LSA engines make the same sound. They reassured me everything is completely normal. They said its because its a twin-screw type of supercharger which is why its making those sounds. They also said the CTS-V version actually makes more noise than our ZL1s.

So I'm asking here. Does your S/Cer make any weird, rattling kind of noise(s) or is it silent?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
sonic656

Drives: 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Yes its normal for the LSA but is it something that should happen? Thats debatable. Search "solid isolator" and you'll find a ton of information on this subject.
sonic656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
EVLZL1

Drives: '13 Black ZL1,MN6,Suede pkg,
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
I've been noticing a weird sound that's coming from the supercharger on my ZL1's engine. It kinda sorta sounds like a worn out bearing on an idler pulley but a little louder. (Almost like someone put a few marbles inside and they're slapping around inside.) I took the car to the dealership and they said all LSA engines make the same sound. They reassured me everything is completely normal. They said its because its a twin-screw type of supercharger which is why its making those sounds. They also said the CTS-V version actually makes more noise than our ZL1s.

So I'm asking here. Does your S/Cer make any weird, rattling kind of noise(s) or is it silent?

Its probably the spring loaded idolater. This is what mine looked like after only 2200 miles! The grooves are really deep...
Attached Images

EVLZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVLZL1 View Post
Its probably the spring loaded idolater. This is what mine looked like after only 2200 miles! The grooves are really deep...
So what was the outcome?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
EVLZL1

Quote:
So what was the outcome?

The problem is the stock isolator coupling is spring loaded and is just a bad part from the factory. The metal spring pings against the shaft causing the noise and wear. That is why people replace it with a solid no spring isolator coupling when they pull their SC snout off to change pulleys.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...5#.UVo4O5Pvt8E
Old 04-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

So how hard is it to install? Would it void my warranty?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
EVLZL1

Quote:
So how hard is it to install? Would it void my warranty?

That's the bummer, You have to take off your SC lid/cap, unbolt your SC and lift it about an inch and a half off the block to pull off your SC snout. As far a voiding your warranty, I would't want to give advise on that, it all depends on your dealer I guess. It would really be ridiculous if it dd void the warranty considering the aftermarket part is superior to the OEM and it actually extends life to you snout vs eating away at it.

I spent a lot of time researching all the service departments at all the local dealers by me and picked one that is mod friendly and will fight for getting things warrantied. I would never use the service dept from the dealer that I bought my car and I would never have bought my car from the dealer that services me as weird as that sounds. One is great for service and the other is great with pricing and not marking up Z's.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
EVLZL1

Pics of the lid off and SC off the block
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Well that's just stupid that GM uses a part that will cause premature failure like the first pic you posted. I would buy the solid isolator and even pay to have it installed as long as my warranty stayed intact.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
You pull apart the S/C and your on your own. According to GM the noise is normal, and is warranted for 100K. Personally I wouldn't mess with it until your ready to give up your warranty.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #11
EVLZL1

Quote:
Well that's just stupid that GM uses a part that will cause premature failure like the first pic you posted. I would buy the solid isolator and even pay to have it installed as long as my warranty stayed intact.

Well, its not a "performance enhancing part" so i highly doubt they would void warranty. They would have to show that the aftermarket part caused failure to whatever you were trying to get warrantied and I highly doubt they could ever say that a solid isolator caused damage over and beyond what their OEM part has done or will do.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVLZL1 View Post
Well, its not a "performance enhancing part" so i highly doubt they would void warranty. They would have to show that the aftermarket part caused failure to whatever you were trying to get warrantied and I highly doubt they could ever say that a solid isolator caused damage over and beyond what their OEM part has done or will do.

If you don't know for sure or have something in writing to prove what your saying, don't tell people no warranty issues. I sure if you break the seal on the S/C the warranty is over. That would be like breaking down the engine and putting it back together again, and expect your warranty to stay intact. Don't hold your breath ...
Old 04-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
You pull apart the S/C and your on your own. According to GM the noise is normal, and is warranted for 100K. Personally I wouldn't mess with it until your ready to give up your warranty.

Incidentally, I don't have this noise on mine, although I have heard many others comment on having it - there is a thread on here somewhere all about it

EDIT: Found the thread - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263064

About 50/50 in terms of people who have it versus those that don't