Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Staggered tires for the stance, or Square for rotation?
Square, like the 1LE! 21 52.50%
Staggered, like the ZL1! 19 47.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2018, 04:21 AM   #1
SinginHawk

Drives: 2015 2LT
Question Are squared tires worth it just for rotation's sake?

I'm in the process of ordering my next set of tires, and it's going to be the Nitto NT555 G2. I'm torn between 295's on all four corners, or putting 325's in the rear.

I'm aware of the handling benefits of a square setup, though I won't be tracking this car so I doubt that I'll be able to utilize those benefits.

My question is, do you think that the ability to rotate front to rear on a square setup is worth it over the look and grip of a staggered?
Old 05-16-2018, 06:03 AM   #2
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
to me, you answered your own question. You are NOT tracking the car, so why even go square just to rotate. Staggered "looks" better to me, but that again is an opinion, and only your opinion counts when it comes to what you want your car to look like.

If you were tracking your car, heck yes a square setup has many advantages. But you ruled that out.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:28 AM   #3
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Your signature states you have a set of ZL1 wheels. Those are not square - so even if you square up the tires, you're not going to be able to simply rotate them (Unless you're dismounting the tires every time you rotate).

I have a square setup, and I like being able to rotate. I don't track the car, but I drag-race plenty at the track and in Mexico, and being able to move the rears up front as they wear is definitely a benefit.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:57 AM   #4
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
Your going to run 325 on the rears? What size rime are you running for that? I have 11" rears and run 315's.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
SinginHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
[S]o why even go square just to rotate.
I'm not sure if rotating the tires is worth trading off the stance, so I'm looking for a consensus.

Essentially, I'm curious of two things:
1. Do wider rear tires provide a notable performance benefit, since I won't be able to rotate them?

2. Is it difficult to remount the tires for a rotation? I was under the impression that this was how tires were rotated in general, but if that's not the case then I am not opposed to forgoing the rotation in favor of wider rears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Your signature states you have a set of ZL1 wheels. Those are not square - so even if you square up the tires, you're not going to be able to simply rotate them (Unless you're dismounting the tires every time you rotate).

I have a square setup, and I like being able to rotate. I don't track the car, but I drag-race plenty at the track and in Mexico, and being able to move the rears up front as they wear is definitely a benefit.
They are 1LE wheels; identical to ZL1 except for the fact that the rubber is 285 on all 4 corners. The wheel sizes are still offset, and I was under the impression that the rubber can be rotated relatively easily. I understand that having squared wheels would make rotation that much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw77 View Post
Your going to run 325 on the rears? What size rime are you running for that? I have 11" rears and run 315's.
325 is the maximum size for 11", and 295 is the maximum size for 10", no?
Old 05-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #6
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
I've got a square set up so I can rotate, but I also have the same size rims all the way around. Your rear rims are wider thus rotation is NOT an easy operation as the tire would have to be remounted. For me, that alone rules out a square tire set up.

BTW, If you were to go square... disregard the pic below, I've got new 20x10 +35 rims with 285/35/20 and the fit is ideal in my opinion!

Last edited by bandier; 05-16-2018 at 04:35 PM.
bandier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:50 PM   #7
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

With staggered rims rotating tires isn't a quick/easy job, so I'd say that rules it out the rotation angle for you.

However, there are significant benefits to a square setup. In standard staggered form the standard trim LS/LT/SS model cars have a significant amount of understeer balance built into the chassis. This keeps the car nice and safe for the masses, but can be a little disappointing when you start pushing the car in the corners - the front end gives up pretty easy. A square set will bring the chassis balance much closer to neutral, it's a much more satisfying car to push in the turns. For that reason alone I would consider the square setup. The setup you have now should be plenty good for the power level you're at. You could move up to a 315 on the rear, but it would be overkill from a straight line acceleration perspective, and would reintroduce that understeer bias the car has in the chassis.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:52 PM   #8
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
I would say if your running the 11" ZL1 rims then 315's is about the max you would want to go. I think if put a 325 on a 11" rim there would be a huge sidewall bulge and your tires won't wear properly and not look god overall.

I use to run 295's on the stock 9" rear wheels and that was almost too big.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #9
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
With staggered rims rotating tires isn't a quick/easy job, so I'd say that rules it out the rotation angle for you.

However, there are significant benefits to a square setup. In standard staggered form the standard trim LS/LT/SS model cars have a significant amount of understeer balance built into the chassis. This keeps the car nice and safe for the masses, but can be a little disappointing when you start pushing the car in the corners - the front end gives up pretty easy. A square set will bring the chassis balance much closer to neutral, it's a much more satisfying car to push in the turns. For that reason alone I would consider the square setup. The setup you have now should be plenty good for the power level you're at. You could move up to a 315 on the rear, but it would be overkill from a straight line acceleration perspective, and would reintroduce that understeer bias the car has in the chassis.
I run MPSS 285-35-20’s on 20x10+23et all around for easy rotation and better handling. I AutoX and canyon carve, roll race a little and love the setup. I think if the car is lowered evenly the square setup looks good.
Attached Images

SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:50 AM   #10
SinginHawk

Quote:

That's great input, thank you. I don't mind possibly buying 2 10" or 2 11" to make it truly square. Do you think one is better than the other? (4 x 10" or 4 x 11")

Why do you think the Z/28 also has staggered wheels, but a square setup in the tires? Given that the car isn't really "for the masses".
Old 05-17-2018, 03:28 AM   #11
SS PANTHER

Run 4 10” +23 offsets all around. You would have a difficult time making an 11” wheel fit and clear up front.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #12
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Agree - 20x10 all around with a +23mm offset is a great option.

The Z/28 and 1LE both use that strategy of having the wider rim with the same size tire on the back. I have dug a LOT into that and found very little information. From what I understand, the same size tire stretched onto a wider rim heightens the responsiveness of the tire. The wider rear tire was likely selected to bring a certain feel to the car. Others may be able to give a better idea on specifically how that works.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:14 AM   #13
jmar3717

Drives: 2011 Victory Red 2SS
The 285-35 tire looks to be shorter than the stock 275-40. My 2011 has an unaltered suspension. Has anyone put this combination together and been unhappy with the look? I'm wondering if it opens up too much wheel well, or if you even notice the difference...
jmar3717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:45 AM   #14
SS PANTHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmar3717 View Post
The 285-35 tire looks to be shorter than the stock 275-40. My 2011 has an unaltered suspension. Has anyone put this combination together and been unhappy with the look? I'm wondering if it opens up too much wheel well, or if you even notice the difference...
Look at a 1LE. It runs a 285-35-20 all around without being lowered from the factory.