Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-26-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
TaylorSF

Drives: Z
Who else is holding out for a Z28?

/////////.

Last edited by TaylorSF; 02-04-2009 at 12:29 PM.
TaylorSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
you arent going to see an ls7 in a z/28 to begin with, and definately not in a $40k car, its a very expensive motor as is the ls9.

I think peoples expectations are too high right now for the z/28, personally i dont really know what to think, i know i cant order until model year 2011. so if they announced by then that a z/28 was coming i might look into it.

my suggestion would be to make the z28 a car with a CAI, and special Exhaust, for a total gain of maybe 35-50 hp over the SS ls3 give better suspension like bigger sway bars and add strut tower braces and give it some slotted or drilled rotors and special wheels. make it something different and more handling capable, but save the money of putting a completely different engine
Old 10-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
TaylorSF

Drives: Z
//////////

Last edited by TaylorSF; 02-04-2009 at 12:29 PM.
TaylorSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
80Zedder
Cheif Pounderhard

Drives: 80camaro/Avalanche/srt8charger
Probably me. I have always been a fan of the Z/28. Never been a fan of the SS. GM has a habit of slapping SS on everything now, cheapens the name.

Me: Hey look i got a SS
buddy: An SS what?

see, i wam wating for a SS Vibe lol
80Zedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
ls3ss

Drives: 70 LS5 Chevelle SS
From what I have read, to go to the LS7 would take more than just swapping the engine. I don't think the current manual tranny could handle the power, and who knows about the rear. I bet they do offer a z-28 in the 2nd or 3rd model year, if sales the first year are good. But it will probably only be some power upgrades to the existing engine choices at first.
ls3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:59 PM   #6
headpunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80Zedder View Post
Probably me. I have always been a fan of the Z/28. Never been a fan of the SS. GM has a habit of slapping SS on everything now, cheapens the name.

Me: Hey look i got a SS
buddy: An SS what?

see, i wam wating for a SS Vibe lol
your kidding right? the Vibe is a Pontiac....SS is a chevy only moniker......SS gets put on what ever the best trim and is the best performing model of what ever vehicle its on. So the SS Cobalt? oh yeah really cheapens the name considering its the best perforimg 4cylinder FWD coupe (Also its faster then the Camaro around the Nurburgring) Trailblazer SS, very fast SUV that no other suv can catch, HHR SS? same engine as forementioned Cobalt SS aswell as other suspension changes.

I dont see how any of those are are cheapening the marque, could you elaborate?
Old 10-26-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'll be holding out until I can really afford a Camaro SS. There's no excuse for blowing every dime I earn on a car that will make my life miserable. Instead, I will continue to suffer the travesty that is my Subaru Impreza until I can absolutely purchase a Camaro SS. This will require financing options to improve and for my bank account to inflate dramatically.

As for the issue of the Z28, I will reference my previous posts: this one and definitely this one. They are both old posts, and some of my information on the latter post could use an update; however, the point is that no Z28 can be deduced from any recent posts or GM inside information. It has been a long time since we've heard of a supercharged Camaro, and that prototype has since vanished. Those of you wanting a Z28 will have to wait a long time. GM will continue to debate the timing of performance platform releases for a while, but the market is in catastrophic shape for a Z28. If you're going to wait for a Z28, get a Camaro SS now, and trade for it later. Holding out isn't helping GM make the money it needs to justify an investment in the Z28. You're honorable patience for the car you adore will make Camaro sales that much lower and the justification for a meaner Camaro that much less as well.

On a side note, I will reference another thread I started for you guys to continue discussion of the SS badge. It is not overused. It represents pinnacle performance when compared to competing brands. By saying that the SS is overused, you are also arguing that dominant cars, like the Cobalt SS, are subordinate to the cars in their class. Chevrolet makes sure that cars with the SS badge will beat cars labeled S, R, GT, SRT, RT, or any variety of other letters representing performance brands in the same class.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
First off I agree with everything The Blur said about the SS badge, they have yet to put it on a car that was a joke, SS models regularly beat the piss out of their counterparts from other companies. Not cheapened at all.

As for waiting for the Z28, sorry but IMHO based on the reports we have read, and current economic conditions it could be vaporware. If you really like the car, the sure bet is the SS. There are not real indicators aside from a slight allusion by fbodfather to it one time.

Admittedly it could happen, But are you really willing to wait 3-5 years, just to find otk it isn't gonna happen anyway. Enjoy what you got now, life is too short!
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:24 PM   #9
headpunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
First off I agree with everything The Blur said about the SS badge, they have yet to put it on a car that was a joke, SS models regularly beat the piss out of their counterparts from other companies. Not cheapened at all.

As for waiting for the Z28, sorry but IMHO based on the reports we have read, and current economic conditions it could be vaporware. If you really like the car, the sure bet is the SS. There are not real indicators aside from a slight allusion by fbodfather to it one time.

Admittedly it could happen, But are you really willing to wait 3-5 years, just to find otk it isn't gonna happen anyway. Enjoy what you got now, life is too short!
Old 10-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
It looks like headpunter just had a period.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #11
headpunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
It looks like headpunter just had a period.
its that time of the month.....
Old 10-26-2008, 07:00 PM   #12
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Oh hell yeah... I'm definitely holding out for the Z.

I understand that 1 (or 2!!) programs have been put "on hold" for a while, and if that's the way of the world, then I'm totally cool with that (from a purely selfish standpoint!)

My 1st choice would definitely be to belly up to the bar in a year or 2 and order me the baddest, track-ready Z that I could... My heart & soul lies with the Camaro... but if my Camaro ain't gonna happen, then I could probably find happiness with one of the following:
1) '08 LS3 Z51 'Vette
2) '07 Z06
3) '09 G8 GXP (6MN)
4) '09 CTS-V (this thing is lookin' like a real turn-on... and depending on how willing the vendor might be willing to negotiate... a year or 2 down the road

I'm thinkin; that every one of those choices is a compromise for me - except the Caddy!

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 10-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #13
Hesh

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro Vin 34334
Also it has been stated that Chevy will not put the SS moniker on anything that has not earned it. If they have something in mind for this and if it doesnt live up to the standard they dont use it.
Hesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #14
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesh View Post
Also it has been stated that Chevy will not put the SS moniker on anything that has not earned it. If they have something in mind for this and if it doesnt live up to the standard they dont use it.
and its been repeatedly beat into the ground that they will not put the Z28 badge on an undeserving car.

the way I look at it, buy whatever model you want/can afford now, if/when a Z28 hits the streets... trade up. cus that will allow those who cant afford a new camaro now to be able to buy a decent used one.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote