Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Jammer

Drives: 2013 LT2 RS
Thinking of adding aftermarket nav. Scosche? Metra? Just use the phone?

I just got a 2013 LT2/RS. Seeing as how there was no dealer inventory with navigation, I have plain mylink.

For navigation, in my other cars I use my Droid X (smartphone) with a VSM mounting bracket. No one makes a phone mounting bracket for the Camero. I live in Minnesota, and a windshield mount by the rearview mirror is illegal under state law. I read through a bunch of threads on the Scosche and Metra packages and still have a bunch of questions:

1) Is it worth exploring an upgrade to the factory nav-capable MyLink system? Has anyone done this? Any idea what the costs are?

2) I see the Scosche has ongoing problems with RF interference with the 315 MHz key fob and TPMS receiver. And I see that Metra has ongoing problems with backlight failures after about a year of use. Overall, which is the better deal? I don't mind the appearance of the Metra system and am just looking for something functional and reliable.

3) Will the Metra and Scosche system together with a Nav-capable head unit, preserve the function of the reverse camera and the ultrasonic sensors? Is an adapter necessary for the video cable?

4) If I want to retain the XM radio capability, can I use the stock XM radio module, or do I need to get an XM module for the head unit? Can I at least reuse the stock antenna? Are any adapters needed?

Thanks

Last edited by Jammer; 09-27-2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: formatting
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I just got a 2013 LT2/RS. Seeing as how there was no dealer inventory with navigation, I have plain mylink.

For navigation, in my other cars I use my Droid X (smartphone) with a VSM mounting bracket. No one makes a phone mounting bracket for the Camero. I live in Minnesota, and a windshield mount by the rearview mirror is illegal under state law. I read through a bunch of threads on the Scosche and Metra packages and still have a bunch of questions:

1) Is it worth exploring an upgrade to the factory nav-capable MyLink system? Has anyone done this? Any idea what the costs are?

2) I see the Scosche has ongoing problems with RF interference with the 315 MHz key fob and TPMS receiver. And I see that Metra has ongoing problems with backlight failures after about a year of use. Overall, which is the better deal? I don't mind the appearance of the Metra system and am just looking for something functional and reliable.

3) Will the Metra and Scosche system together with a Nav-capable head unit, preserve the function of the reverse camera and the ultrasonic sensors? Is an adapter necessary for the video cable?

4) If I want to retain the XM radio capability, can I use the stock XM radio module, or do I need to get an XM module for the head unit? Can I at least reuse the stock antenna? Are any adapters needed?

Thanks
Answers:

1. There are a couple of aftermarket kits that can add navigation to the My Link system, but they are costly....around $1200-$1400. You can get a pretty good aftermarket unit with a mounting kit for less, and have better sound quality and better performance than the My Link system.

2. I have experience with both kits, and like the Scosche kit better. I have a very early version of the Scosche kit, and have none of the current range and TPS issues...kit works great and has been in the car for at least 1.5 years.

3. Reverse camera, I believe so, but will need adapter to connect to an aftermarket unit. However, you will loose the backup sensor function.

4. Yo will need to use an aftermarket XM receiver, as the My Link system has the XM receiver installed in the unit which needs to be removed for an aftermarket unit to be installed. All current aftermarket units that are Sirius/XM ready use the same receiver unit. You can try to use the factory XM antenna, but you will need an adapter to connect the factory antenna to the aftermarket XM receiver.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Jammer

Drives: 2013 LT2 RS
Jeffa,

Thanks for your reply and advice.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
StealthZL1

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
The Scosche GM5201B dash kit retains ALL warning chimes AND the backup sensors. If you install an aftermarket head unit, the OEM backup camera can only be retained in the 2012/2013/2014 Camaros that originally had MyLink (they have the factory installed LAN harness). You would need the Metra BACKUPCAM2 wire harness to retain your backup camera after the MyLink is removed.
StealthZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
StealthZL1

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Scosche GM5201AB
StealthZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:18 AM   #6
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthZL1 View Post
The Scosche GM5201B dash kit retains ALL warning chimes AND the backup sensors. If you install an aftermarket head unit, the OEM backup camera can only be retained in the 2012/2013/2014 Camaros that originally had MyLink (they have the factory installed LAN harness). You would need the Metra BACKUPCAM2 wire harness to retain your backup camera after the MyLink is removed.
Tried this, it worked at first, then after not at all, couldn't figure out why... I'm having amazon send me a replacement and see if that does it.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:11 PM   #7
BOOSTT

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS "Hot Wheels"
what wire do you hook the lone extra wire to on the 5th gen camaro. I can't get an image with my harness? I just get the pioneer backup assist grids with a black background. Has to be the extra wire I ran to the antenna power wire as directed by a local shop.
BOOSTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:15 PM   #8
BOOSTT

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS "Hot Wheels"
LOL just found it after an hour. It goes to the speed sensor wire. Seems odd. I'll rewire and test.
BOOSTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:47 PM   #9
PhelanZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
If you want to retain the factory look I suggest looking at pac audio, you won't be disappointed.
PhelanZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote