Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-12-2016, 05:17 AM   #1
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
I wonder what would happen ... methanol on a N/A engine ...

I was looking at the *Snow Performance website at their methanol injection systems, and they have one for N/A - Boosted gasoline engines. I've heard about using water injection to clean combustion chambers long ago and after reading the description at Snow Performance, I was wondering - If the system was set up to inject the methanol only at higher RPMs to avoid 'drowning' the engine, what would happen when the methanol/water mix hits the backs of the hot intake valves?

Would the alcohol dissolve the carbon crud? Would the transformation of water/alcohol to steam-vapor blast the crud off and let chunks enter the combustion chamber? Would it do nothing at all?

I took this off the Snow Performance website and posted it here to see what everyone thought.

Benefits:
  • Cooler Denser Air Charge
  • Achieve 116 Octane Quality Fuel From Pump Gas
  • Safely Run More Boost & Timing
  • Cleans Engine Combustion Of Carbon Build Up
  • Reduce Air Temperatures Greater and More Consistent Than Air to Air Intercooler
Old 05-12-2016, 05:35 AM   #2
derek1387

Drives: 2015 1LS Red V6
Same thing for E85...and cheaper.
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

5th Gen V6 Performance Facebook Group
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:23 AM   #3
Shawno72

Drives: 2015 Black 2LT RS M6
Interesting
Overkill tune/E85/80mm•CAI cold air intake w/my custom maf tube•Apex air scoop•JacFab ported intake/Extendolater•Vitesse•EE EX2 catch can•Innovate wideband•ARH HFC's•NPP exhaust•11386 xpipe•Brembos/cross drilled/slotted rotors•SS M/C•Pfadt 1.25 springs•1LE struts/sways/strut tower brace•BMR diff bush, trail arms/bush, adj toe links•My custom Tunnel brace•Hurst short throw shifter•JDP stage 1 clutch res•1LE steering wheel, shift boot•ZL1 rear diffuser/splash guards•GM splitter•Z/28 grille/flowtie/spoiler/wheels•GM performance pedals•"Chevrolet" door sills•10" Kicker sub•BigWorm overlays
Shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:30 AM   #4
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Better off doing nitrous.

Methanol works best if your needing to control detonation limits. On a non forced induction car, this is rarely the case, and nitrous will be a much more effective power adder (and quite safe if you set it up right) for the time and expense involved.

However this little write up shows some interesting info. Still IMO not worth it.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...lications.html
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #5
The_Driver
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
With the way I can feel knock retard affecting the performance of my LFX with the crap gas we have available here, it might be worth checking into.
The_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote