Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
Quicker Steering?

Couldn't find anything with search. Anyone know if there is a way to make the steering ratio quicker? Steering is pretty slow.
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Get a strut tower brace. They produce under steer
Old 03-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
iHasCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Get a strut tower brace. They produce under steer
Why would you think I want understeer? And what does a strut tower bar have to so with the steering ratio?
Old 03-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHasCamaro View Post
Why would you think I want understeer? And what does a strut tower bar have to so with the steering ratio?
A strut tower brace stiffens the front end and prevents the chasis from flexing turning cornering. And because understeer accomplishes the same thing as changing the steering ratio. If I'm understand you right, you want:

You want to turn the steering wheel less and the wheels turn more.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
iHasCamaro

Understeer means you turn but the car keeps going straight, so it would be the opposite of what I want.

Anyway I was just wondering if it's possible to swap the steering box with something else with quicker steering, or mod the box itself. My old Evo VIII had 13.0:1 steering. I never had to shuffle steer or do hand-over-hand around corners or giving opposite lock. The other day I was having some tail-out fun, but couldn't turn the wheel fast enough to make it do what I wanted. I was playing catch-up way too often, which wasn't very confidence-inspiring. The box is a lazy 16.1:1, and I would like it to be quicker. I could weld plate steel across the strut towers and it would not change the steering ratio.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
A few changes to your 5th Gen will work wonders.

1. Install radius and sub-frame bush inserts or full replacement bushes.
2. Change your alignment. Dial out some negative rear camber. Dial in some negative front camber. Toe the rear wheels in a bit and the front wheels to zero.

Here are the newest FE2, FE3, FE4 and FE5 OEM and Pedders Alignment Specs.

[B]
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #7
iHasCamaro

^^ Thanks, saves me some research when I go to get my alignment after my trailing arms and toe arms get here.

I understand how these settings will affect initial turn-in, balance, etc. I ran settings similar to the recommended track settings from those charts even on the street in my evo because my tires didn't last long anyway, and I was always ready for track days. Only I would run +1/16 toe all around for crazy turn-in response and so the rear would come around on demand.

But I'm mainly concerned about the actual amount of sawing on the wheel needed to go lock to lock, and the fact some turns I used to take without taking my hands off the wheel now require hand-over-hand action, and there its a lot of flailing trying to correct snap-over steer.

Just looking for an actual quick-ratio solution, but it sounds like it's not common enough to be feasible.

Thanks for the settings though. I will definitely use at least the aggressive street settings. Still debating on whether to get too crazy with the mods just to have fun on the street. It feels like it's always trying to kill me lol.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
Sleepy

Drives: 2011 LS M6 SW
You might want to look into Blu808 front suspension here.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190211
The kit doesn't seem to alter the steering rack so they must be getting more angle by quicker ratio. I think they decrease the leverage on the steering knuckles/spindles to make the wheels turn more. I don't really know how it works so you might want to talk to them directly to see if it does what you want to do.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
Squintz Palladoris

Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
You might want to look into Blu808 front suspension here.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190211
The kit doesn't seem to alter the steering rack so they must be getting more angle by quicker ratio. I think they decrease the leverage on the steering knuckles/spindles to make the wheels turn more. I don't really know how it works so you might want to talk to them directly to see if it does what you want to do.
That was gonna be my suggestion. I believe they made changes to the ackerman. If I had the cash, that would already be on my car

Other than that, your option would be to find a steering rack with the ratio you are looking for and make it work.
Squintz Palladoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
turnone-steering

Drives: n/a
The easiest way to quicken the steering would be to install an upstream steering quickener. Quickeners are available thru many aftermarket sources, such as Howe Racing and Coleman Racing Products. The only other option would be to modify the current rack to increase the ratio. The cost would be in the $3,000 - $4,000 range. If you have more steering system questions, contact Turn One at 989-759-4206 or visit our website www.turnone-steering.com.
turnone-steering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
iHasCamaro

Thanks! Not gonna spend $3k but I'll look into the other solutions.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
Whiteside Customs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 1lt/rs, 2010 2ss/rs, 2004 GTO
Our Super Street 1 package with a custom alignment will get you what your after. It'll also help the rear end feel a lot tighter during cornering.

For a price that simply can't be touched!

http://shop.whitesidecustoms.com/Whi...ge-WSC-SS1.htm
Whiteside Customs is offline   Reply With Quote