Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-23-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
ColoradoSS

Drives: 2010 camaro SS/RS
Will my cam work with boost

I'm about to finish off my hellion twin top Mount build and have been wondering if my current cam will work, Its a Texas speed AFM 1 cam, I can't find any specs on this cam. The turbo kit I have will max out my block so power isn't a concern but will the cam have a horrible powerband under boost or leak boost due to overlap?
ColoradoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:43 PM   #2
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Absolutely.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:19 PM   #3
ColoradoSS

Absolutely it will work?, or absolutely it will leak boost?
Old 08-23-2015, 09:14 PM   #4
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Need, specs, call TSP and get them.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:25 PM   #5
BEASSTING

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
looking at the same kit...have you started the install yet? How bad was it? Seems pretty straight forward.
BEASSTING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:40 PM   #6
ColoradoSS

I have a PDF file of there install instructions if your interested. The biggest pain so far was heat wrapping all the electrical. And this was my first time working with v-bands and they can be a bit tricky. All I lack right now is installing the intercooler but I'm holding off to find out if I need to swap cams. I got there tuner kit with the 62mm precisions, deatschwerks 95lb injectors, LPE dual pump as my setup.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:03 AM   #7
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
If it runs good like it sits, and you like the manners etc, chances are that it will be fine under boost. Without even a clue about the cam's specs, it's going to be just a little tough for anyone to give you a definitive answer though.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:10 PM   #8
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
If it has overlap then you will "leak" boost. This may not be a bad thing. A little overlap can help evacuate cylinders getting all the exhaust out. Too much and you are giving up a lot of power and making the turbo/blower work a lot harder than needed.

Odds are it is fine.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:18 PM   #9
ColoradoSS

Thanks for all the responses, couldn't get Texas speed to give up the specs but they assured me it would be fine for a boost application. I'm going to run low boost for awhile untill I get some miles on the engine. A stroke/forged setup is in my future so I plan on doing away with AFM /dod and going with a nice blower cam at that point. Seems I should be good for now.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #10
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSS View Post
Thanks for all the responses, couldn't get Texas speed to give up the specs but they assured me it would be fine for a boost application. I'm going to run low boost for awhile untill I get some miles on the engine. A stroke/forged setup is in my future so I plan on doing away with AFM /dod and going with a nice blower cam at that point. Seems I should be good for now.
That's messed up. I can understand these vendors taking all precautions in keeping the cam specs from being widely distributed so people can copy them. But that's pretty messed up that they won't even give the specs to a paying customer so he can build/tune his car properly.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:29 AM   #11
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
There is really no such thing as "custom cam specs", they all get the same book to pick their specs from. Its not like their sitting there with a pen and paper designing a cam.There is a list of specs available from Crane, or Comp, or whoever actually builds the cam. The days of ordering a cam with the exact specs you want are a thing of the past. You dont draw up a spec sheet and send it into your cam company and then they ship you a one off cam, unless that's what your looking for, and then you're talking big dollars. There are places on the web that will regrind, or make, a one off custom cam, I used to buy from them when working for a Porsche shop years ago.

It is possible that TSP does enough business with whoever they buy there cams from and actually do get "custom" specs, but soon as its put into production, I could buy that same cam from FSP, if I wanted to, without even knowing that its a TSP custom spec cam. Like I said, once they put a cam into production the specs go on a list that others can order from.

This is what was explained to me when I ordered and bought my "custom grind" cam. I could be wrong, and if so someone please correct me, I dont like giving out bad information, especially on a public forum.

Regardless, the specs are usually printed on the outside of the box when you get your cam. If I had a cam that people refused to give me the specs for, I would change it out. But thats just me.

Again, in this case, please don't take my word for what was just posted, I have only heard this from one source, and trusted as that person is, I don't know it to be gospel.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blower cam, boost, cam, turbo, twins