Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #12363
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The ZL1 stops better. The 1LE still beats it all day long. I could make a longer list, but these should cover it.

1. The ZL1 is limited by the front wheel and tire sizes.
2. The Z/28's lower CG (dropped the car 33mm) allows it to carry more speed in the corners.
3. 300 pounds lighter is another Z/28 advantage.
4. The Z/28 has a differential more suited to the track giving it an advantage putting power down out of the corners.
5. The Z/28 has an aero advantage over the ZL1 the create down force for improved cornering (but with a reduction in top speed).
6. The Z/28 is sprung for a road course at the direct expense of ride comfort for reduced lap times.
7. Tires D.O.T. Street Legal Slicks vs specially compounded GYs. Slam Dunk Z/28.

On tracks with long straights and sweeping turns the ZL1 with CC brakes will be close to the Z/28 for single throw down lap time. Take the same cars to a tight technical track and the Z/28 will really shine. Run 20 laps and the Z/28 walks away on any track.

#3, your thoughts?
typo... we all know ya mean Z/28
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #12364
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
Shno's house is pushing four years old... sweet!

Check out the first post... kind of sadistic
I was sitting in a shack in the middle east. This was a very good way to pass the time.... And much better than getting shot at.

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #12365
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
I was sitting in a shack in the middle east. This was a very good way to pass the time.... And much better than getting shot at.

Speaking of getting shot at.......

What's worse than finding a worm in your apple?

Finding half a worm after you took a bite.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #12366
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:

...and for that, Mr. Mac, we are truly indebted...

As Paul Harvey would have said, "And now you know the rest of the story..."
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #12367
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
typo... we all know ya mean Z/28
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #12368
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
I pray this doesn't get out of hand.....

"The U.S. Navy is moving a massive radar platform closer to the North Korean coast to monitor that country's military moves, the Pentagon said today."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/01/world/...dar/index.html
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #12369

Drives: Getaway Special
Quote:
The ZL1 stops better. The Z/28 still beats it all day long. I could make a longer list, but these should cover it.

2. The Z/28's lower CG (dropped the car 33mm) allows it to carry more speed in the corners.
4. The Z/28 has a differential more suited to the track giving it an advantage putting power down out of the corners.
5. The Z/28 has an aero advantage over the ZL1 the create down force for improved cornering (but with a reduction in top speed).
6. The Z/28 is sprung for a road course at the direct expense of ride comfort for reduced lap times.
7. Tires D.O.T. Street Legal Slicks vs specially compounded GYs. Slam Dunk Z/28.

On tracks with long straights and sweeping turns the ZL1 with CC brakes will be close to the Z/28 for single throw down lap time. Take the same cars to a tight technical track and the Z/28 will really shine. Run 20 laps and the Z/28 walks away on any track.

#3, your thoughts?
Pete we know the Z/28 is a better track car. No doubt. Now, lets talk drag racing just a second. What are the deficits of the Z/28 an owner would need to address to make it a huge contender in the 1/4 in the ..."ahem, unlikely event" they want to drag race it? LOL. Will the suspension "hop" "twist", etc with its current design? Will the gears & axles need to be modified? Or do you think that they are strong enough for a few 1/4 runs here and there?

Just curious. I know how much engineers did to stabilize the 1/4 mile drag launches. Curious what of these has been retained. Also, 5 PTM modes? Can't wait to hear the whole story. I'm sure there are plenty who want this to be a good drag car too and likely to make sure these areas are addressed.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #12370
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by *007 View Post
Pete we know the Z/28 is a better track car. No doubt. Now, lets talk drag racing just a second. What are the deficits of the Z/28 an owner would need to address to make it a huge contender in the 1/4 in the ..."ahem, unlikely event" they want to drag race it? LOL. Will the suspension "hop" "twist", etc with its current design? Will the gears & axles need to be modified? Or do you think that they are strong enough for a few 1/4 runs here and there?

Just curious. I know how much engineers did to stabilize the 1/4 mile drag launches. Curious what of these has been retained. Also, 5 PTM modes? Can't wait to hear the whole story. I'm sure there are plenty who want this to be a good drag car too and likely to make sure these areas are addressed.
I remember reading somewhere that the half-shafts aren't going to be as strong as on the ZL1.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #12371
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5journal View Post
Good afternoon folks. I just found this thread based on a post elsewhere by Lowdown.

Word has it that people who actually have experience or understanding of first gen Z/28's carry on intelligent conversation here without arguing.

May I play?

Here are my creds
Nice! and Yes

I mean yes and NICE!!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #12372
Mr Twisty

Quote:

"The U.S. Navy is moving a massive radar platform closer to the North Korean coast to monitor that country's military moves, the Pentagon said today."

I got my hand smacked for a war post in off-topic... figure it'll get too political, probably will. Just an FYI

Having said that... "No comment"
Old 04-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #12373
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
The ZL1 stops better. The Z/28 still beats it all day long. I could make a longer list, but these should cover it.

#3, your thoughts?
I think you covered all the positives. I think the MR shocks, though not dedicated for track use will help. I'm just wondering how much of that 3 seconds is brakes and how much is the 300 pounds and how much is the.....................etc.

Quote:
When you say 'I have no idea what went on...' it sounds very similar to 'I can't comment on future product."
I tried that once and as you know........................it didn' work out so well.

Quote:
All these extra threads in the Z/28 section are kinda pissing me off ... should be an age limit and cover charge to get in. Example: (just one of hundreds)
Wow!!!! Simply..................wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Some don't realize this Section wasn't created last Wednesday afternoon...

But, as we were with the car that arrived, Wednesday, we WILL be patient...
We gets moved around a bit.

Quote:

Shot at???????? Holy crap!!!!! Might be better to just get runned over by a Z/28.

Quote:

If they seriously think of raising a hand in anger, it will be the quickest reunification of N and S Korea the world could imagine. 6 minutes tops. Regardless of the capacity depicted in "Red Dawn" and "Olympus Has Fallen", me thinks it would be so short we wouldn't know it started.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #12374
Mr Twisty

3... seems I recall part of your job used to be intentionally trying to get a driveline failure with hard launches... what do you think about using the Z/28 for drag racing?

I hear the car will have a sweet road racing diff... will constant hard launches abuse it?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #12375
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
3... seems I recall part of your job used to be intentionally trying to get a driveline failure with hard launches... what do you think about using the Z/28 for drag racing?

I hear the car will have a sweet road racing diff... will constant hard launches abuse it?
I had a hand in planning such activities, but not actually doing them.

But I can assure you that GM driveline testing is of the very best in the business. It will get a thorough shakedown for road, track and strip and they will throw in a few "pretty crappy pot holes" to boot.

That being said, we did have quite a few posts on axle shaft concerns on the SS. And I can also bet you GM has learned from that to make the Z/28 that much better.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #12376
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I had a hand in planning such activities, but not actually doing them.

But I can assure you that GM driveline testing is of the very best in the business. It will get a thorough shakedown for road, track and strip and they will throw in a few "pretty crappy pot holes" to boot.

That being said, we did have quite a few posts on axle shaft concerns on the SS. And I can also bet you GM has learned from that to make the Z/28 that much better.
It seems extreme to take a road racing car to the strip, but it will happen. I remember a couple of 1st gen Z/28's at the local strip. They fared well, but the rat motors had a big advantage on the top end..... I won't be surprised if the ZL1 overtakes the new car on the top end as well.

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014