Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-03-2018, 06:53 PM   #1
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
2010 2LT - upgraded Brembo Brakes squealing

I have a 2010 2LT/RS with the upgraded Brembo brakes by the previous owner. I am aware they are notorious for squealing. This has happened on several occasions when hot etc... However, now that I have owned the car for almost two years - the squealing happens regardless if the brakes are hot or cold. There seems to be some pad life left in them, however the rotors look like they could be resurfaced and new pads put in place. Not sure if this is the route I want to go. If anyone could lead me in the right direction for new pads/rotors with the best deal online possible I would appreciate it! I currently have the Hawks ceramic pads on with the Brembos.

Any NEW Brembo rotors out there WITHOUT the drilled/slotted option? Seems it was discontinued?? Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.

Last edited by SummitWhite11; 12-03-2018 at 07:17 PM.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #2
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
SS rotors are relatively cheap just get a new set and buy whatever you want now if they are ZL1 I don't believe you can resurface those and they are kinda spendy.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
SS rotors are relatively cheap just get a new set and buy whatever you want now if they are ZL1 I don't believe you can resurface those and they are kinda spendy.

Are SS rotors the same as Brembo rotors? Do they provide the same stopping power?

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:29 PM   #4
Tbanks
The Stangs kryptonite

Drives: 2010 1LT CGM Camaro
Hey Summit White, I did a very similar conversion to my Camaro years ago! Just replaced the rotors for the first time. Used a set from Prostop that I was able to pick up at pepboys! They aren't Slotted but work extremely well!
Old 12-03-2018, 10:18 PM   #5
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
I have an SS and have never heard a sound. You most likely have a high spot on a rotor. Have the rotors turned and replace the pads only if less than 20%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:13 AM   #6
Gordo-D

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
My 2010 2SS squeaked and so does my 2015, not the end of the world but it's really annoying. :(
Gordo-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:59 AM   #7
jergarr

Drives: 11' RJT 2SS/RS L99
I'd say it's most likely normal for the brembos. Mine has always squeaked as well.
Stainless Power Headers w/cats
Fluidampr 25% UDP
Cold Air Inductions Intake
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
ADM Trans Cooler
Some BMR Goodies
jergarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:19 AM   #8
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Have you tried the roller skate pads?
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:58 AM   #9
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Take the car out and hammer on the brakes a few times. I find if I do that once in a while with mine it quiets them back down. Worth a shot before replacing them anyways. As noted its pretty normal for them to squeal.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:27 PM   #10
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshelar View Post
I have an SS and have never heard a sound. You most likely have a high spot on a rotor. Have the rotors turned and replace the pads only if less than 20%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was quoted at the dealership for around $300 to have the front rotors turned and a chemical coating to be put on the pads to help reduce brake noise. Does this sound reasonable?

Old 12-04-2018, 04:34 PM   #11
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
Take the car out and hammer on the brakes a few times. I find if I do that once in a while with mine it quiets them back down. Worth a shot before replacing them anyways. As noted its pretty normal for them to squeal.

Tried that before. Some day's it works and some day's it doesn't. If I had my tools on hand with me now, then I would replace the brakes myself, unfortunately the tools are in a POD container until we move up to North Florida in a few weeks.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:25 AM   #12
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Do you have an automatic?

My policy with brakes is you use them or keep your foot off that pedal.
Brembos were built to be rode hard. Try to make all your deceleration smooth and deliberate. The ceramics might respond better if you put them to the same test. IDK.

Automatics encourage people to drag the brakes at low speeds. Practice left-foot braking. As a bonus, reaction times are proven to be quicker. After you learn that you can be ambidextrous.
Have you ever tried to work the throttle with your left foot?
Practiced steering from the passenger seat (you need a partner to work the pedals)?
Crap, more situations I consider as I age.

P.S. Another often forgotten brake test:
If you almost always use your right foot for braking, try it every week or so with your left foot. You will get unbiased feedback. And vice-versa.
Don't panic if you have a stick. You don't have to come to a complete stop.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:36 AM   #13
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Take the pads out and put some grease on the backside of them and reinstall.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:22 AM   #14
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
"There seems to be"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
I have a 2010 2LT/RS with the upgraded Brembo brakes by the previous owner. I am aware they are notorious for squealing. This has happened on several occasions when hot etc... However, now that I have owned the car for almost two years - the squealing happens regardless if the brakes are hot or cold. There seems to be some pad life left in them, however the rotors look like they could be resurfaced and new pads put in place. Not sure if this is the route I want to go. If anyone could lead me in the right direction for new pads/rotors with the best deal online possible I would appreciate it! I currently have the Hawks ceramic pads on with the Brembos.

Any NEW Brembo rotors out there WITHOUT the drilled/slotted option? Seems it was discontinued?? Thanks in advance!

For me the two most crucial elements on a vehicle is steering and brakes. In your initial post you stated "there seems to be some pad life left in them, however the rotors look like they could be resurfaced and new pads put in place". If I were you I believe I would be investing in new rotors and pads.

Might want to consider picking up a "Chilton" manual (#28285) that covers 2010-2015 Camaros. The section on brakes had a description of how to replace rotors and pads.

I done the very same conversion on my 2014 2LT/RS about 18 months/15K ago with ZERO problems. I used factory SS rotors and used the best pads that O'Riely's had to offer.

From start to finish the complete conversion took me about 8 hours, removing standard LT brake lines, rotors, calipers, all 4 backing plates and even the master cylinder. Only assistance I needed was when it came to bleeding out the new system.