Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-01-2016, 07:15 AM   #1
bdd8401

Drives: 2015 2LT SW RS A6
Flowmaster v6 exhaust

So i just purchased flowmaster 409 s American thunder axle back for my 2015 2lt rs v6 will it have drone or rasp sound and i know it will not sound like a v8. Will i need a resonated x pipe to cut any drone or rasp with this set up or will a x pipe just help it sound better. Anyone with the American thunder set up have any advice or comments (suggestions or opions welcome). Let me know what u guys think, thanks.
bdd8401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #2
rozarioorlan

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
i started off with a muffler delete and the drone was bad so i put on flowmaster 40's and regular x pipe. at that time the drone was noticeable but not too bad and it sounded decent. i got new tips and had everything redone so i took out the resonators. two times the noise and a lot more drone, so i added the resonated x pipe and that's my current set up. almost every exhaust set up will require the x pipe to tone down the drone, and almost everyone on here will tell you that. throw the flowmasters on, if it has drone throw a resonated x pipe and you should be good
2013 2LS - K&N CAI, Overkill Ported 80mm Throttle Body, Overkill E85 Kit and Overkill Tune, Jacfab Ported Intake Manifold and Spacer, Stealth 3.0 TC, ARH Catted Downpipes, Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe, Resonator Delete, Jones Full Boar Racing Mufflers, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Seperator
rozarioorlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #3
bdd8401

Ok thanks for the reply i have no idea if the American thunder set up will have drone or rasp, but i am way to old to deal with a lot of racket, lol. Was just wondering if anybody else is running the same set up and could tell me if i just need to go ahead and have the resonated x pipe put on when i have the mufflers installed. If so i was just going to order one and have it all installed at the same time. Stock set up is just to blah for me, but i don't want to mess up the sound of the american thunder set up if it doesn't need the resonated x pipe. Looking for a kind of smooth exotic car sound.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdd8401 View Post
Ok thanks for the reply i have no idea if the American thunder set up will have drone or rasp, but i am way to old to deal with a lot of racket, lol. Was just wondering if anybody else is running the same set up and could tell me if i just need to go ahead and have the resonated x pipe put on when i have the mufflers installed. If so i was just going to order one and have it all installed at the same time. Stock set up is just to blah for me, but i don't want to mess up the sound of the american thunder set up if it doesn't need the resonated x pipe. Looking for a kind of smooth exotic car sound.
Just about everyone loves the sound with the res xpipe, smooths out the harsh and the rasp. I would try out the setup as is and if your not happy with it you can add the res xpipe.
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:33 PM   #5
bdd8401

Ok guys thanks for the advice will probably just do the mufflers first, then go from there don't want to order a x pipe and not need it and be stuck with it.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:38 PM   #6
bdd8401

Kicking myself for not knowing i could have probaly found a car with npp exhaust, which is what i really want but i want a fully functional set up. And that would be a huge pita to find all the parts for and would cost like hell probably.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #7
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

I got the dynomax 'valvetech' VT series axle back system. It ran about 400 a couple years back. The valves are spring loaded and open under the pressure of moderate to hard acceleration and allow the exhaust to pass straight through without going through the baffle of the muffler. Works great. Nice and loud when the valve opens up, sounds real nice at startup, and zero drone at constant or highway speed. I love it!
Old 12-03-2016, 04:55 PM   #8
bdd8401

Ok thanks Kenny but i already ordered the flowmasters and like i said i am not looking for really loud as i am older not looking for loud fart can sounding. And i am looking for smooth but a little louder than stock, no it will never sound near as good as a v8 and besides i don't want to piss off the neighborhood either.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:23 PM   #9
Rupkin2

Drives: 2014 RS Silver Ice Convertible
bdd8401-

So how do you like the sound of the FM 409's?
Assuming you have them on.

John
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:16 PM   #10
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdd8401 View Post
Ok thanks Kenny but i already ordered the flowmasters and like i said i am not looking for really loud as i am older not looking for loud fart can sounding. And i am looking for smooth but a little louder than stock, no it will never sound near as good as a v8 and besides i don't want to piss off the neighborhood either.
I'm in agreement with you. The VT's are quiet until the springs open under acceleration. Good lord man, only a moron would want a loud 'fart can'. I too am older, but I'm not dead yet!!
Old 03-29-2017, 12:58 AM   #11
bdd8401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupkin2 View Post
bdd8401-

So how do you like the sound of the FM 409's?
Assuming you have them on.

John
Just got around to having them installed last Friday still trying to decide if i am going to add the resonated x pipe. Has some drone when engine loads up around 1700 rpms. Need to put my rotofab cai on and see how it sounds with that added. Cold start is awesome nice rumble at first is deeper tone than stock but i want to drive it some to season the exhaust some and see if the drone goes away. I probably will wind up having the x pipe installed to smooth it out i never intended for it to be loud, just wanted a better sound than stock. To old for loud and droney and don't want anything like a fart can tone either, can't ride around with it pegged to the floor all the time even though it sings a sweet tone under acceleration.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:55 PM   #12
Rupkin2

Drives: 2014 RS Silver Ice Convertible
bdd8401-ok thanks
Me, I ended up going with the magnaflows, the shop said they could do it today at a good price.
He did our 6.0 Silverado I had awhile back with Magnaflow. He did good work but man that was droney, think it might of been due to the crew cab and the muffler placement being under the cab.
The Camaro is good now, I just had to drown out that 3.6 litre sewing machine noise, lol.
Cold start sounds good, throaty. has a decent sound when I want it to move. Best of all is when I'm just cruising I don't have this constant hum resonating through-out the interior.
I think if I spent more money, cat backs and all I would have a better sound but for the money spent now, this is really good, I'm happy. Wife may have liked it a bit louder.
BTW, my Camaro is a convertible, not sure if that would make a difference inside or not.
I'm like you tho, wouldn't have mattered if I went with FM or MF I just didn't want that LOUD "motorcycle noise" so to speak.

John

Last edited by Rupkin2; 03-30-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:50 AM   #13
wfydaniel1990

Drives: 15RS
if you have a flowmaster AT , be ready to have a rediculously drone in the carbin, i have a 15 rs 2lt with flowmaster at outlaw mufflers, my car is shaking at every rpm below 2400
wfydaniel1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:30 AM   #14
bdd8401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupkin2 View Post
bdd8401-ok thanks
Me, I ended up going with the magnaflows, the shop said they could do it today at a good price.
He did our 6.0 Silverado I had awhile back with Magnaflow. He did good work but man that was droney, think it might of been due to the crew cab and the muffler placement being under the cab.
The Camaro is good now, I just had to drown out that 3.6 litre sewing machine noise, lol.
Cold start sounds good, throaty. has a decent sound when I want it to move. Best of all is when I'm just cruising I don't have this constant hum resonating through-out the interior.
I think if I spent more money, cat backs and all I would have a better sound but for the money spent now, this is really good, I'm happy. Wife may have liked it a bit louder.
BTW, my Camaro is a convertible, not sure if that would make a difference inside or not.
I'm like you tho, wouldn't have mattered if I went with FM or MF I just didn't want that LOUD "motorcycle noise" so to speak.

John
OK glad that you found a setup that you are happy with. My setup is a work in progress right now, I wanted the solo catback system but bought the flow masters a t's because they were on sale at that time so I called myself saving money. They flowmasters have a more aggressive sound (deeper and louder than stock but similar). I will probably will wind up having the resonated x pipe added and if the drone is still there then I will probably have j pipes added at that point. Maybe I shouldn't have tried to cheap out and just went with solo or used npp mufflers from the beginning, hey we live and learn. Anyway I knew from the start that I would never get close to the v8 sound, but I didn't want loud or droney has to be sort of a smooth and better than stock sound to be had. Hope that I can get it to where I like it and it did save a few pounds in weight and got rid of the ugly stock thrash cans. Anyway time to get off my soapbox now.