Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
antnicSS2010

Drives: 2014 White ZL1
Came home after six days to find fluid on the floor

So I went away for six days and left the car clean and untouched !! So I got home today and started it and smelled a stong scent of oil and gas !??! So I turned it off right away and called on star to run diagnostic and they came back with every all good !! So now I am waiting for a tow truck from GM roadside and then it will sit at the dealership until it gets looked at on Tuesday. The fluid on the floor was a darkish clear fluid and seems to be dripping from right we're the engine and tranny meet but it's not dripping pure motor oil, so I'm confused at what is leaking and we're is coming from. I popped the hood right away and checked the dip stick and all around the manifold and valve covers and exhaust manifolds and found nothing !! Any tips or if anyone has had this problem please chime in !!

Thanks guys
Old 08-30-2014, 09:24 PM   #2
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
On star? For a leak?

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:28 AM   #3
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
What color is darkish clear? Dark brown, dark red, or what? Have you compared the color to your coolant color? There is a pretty common coolant leak from the left side of the block that drops on the belly pan and then to the floor.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
antnicSS2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Dan View Post
On star? For a leak?
lol yes GM roadside told me to run a diognostic report to make sure that I didn't leak to much so I could start the car to get it out and on the tow truck since this guy couldn't get it up !! It was all f'd up yesterday !! I didn't even get it towed until 9 pm and I called at 4:30
Old 08-31-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
antnicSS2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnice View Post
What color is darkish clear? Dark brown, dark red, or what? Have you compared the color to your coolant color? There is a pretty common coolant leak from the left side of the block that drops on the belly pan and then to the floor.
I think you are right !! The guy that towed it said the same thing about it not being motor oil but since it was so dark out side from it being late he could find were it was leaking either !! So I will find out on Tuesday and hoping it will be coolant

Thanks
Old 08-31-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Its weird they haven't QC'd this coolant leak issue on all the LS blocks before they go out. It's just getting around some threads on a coupler at the side of the block. Mine is so slow a leak I have never done anything to get it fixed.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
So you can't tell the difference between oil, gas and coolant? They all have distinctive smells. I would bet it is the intercooler leaking.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnice View Post
Its weird they haven't QC'd this coolant leak issue on all the LS blocks before they go out. It's just getting around some threads on a coupler at the side of the block. Mine is so slow a leak I have never done anything to get it fixed.
Yep, mine was loose opposed to cross-threaded ( Lucky because this problem goes back to 2010) but my mechanic was smart enough to order the tap kit before he started the work just in case. Didn't notice it until the first oil change as it was in the belly pan and just starting to work its way past the filter and on to the trans. Had about 900 miles when I did the first oil change and caught it.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:41 PM   #9
antnicSS2010

It was very wired because when I started the car it smelled strong of raw gas smell and a burning smell !!
Old 09-02-2014, 10:45 PM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnicSS2010 View Post
So I went away for six days and left the car clean and untouched !! So I got home today and started it and smelled a stong scent of oil and gas !??! So I turned it off right away and called on star to run diagnostic and they came back with every all good !! So now I am waiting for a tow truck from GM roadside and then it will sit at the dealership until it gets looked at on Tuesday. The fluid on the floor was a darkish clear fluid and seems to be dripping from right we're the engine and tranny meet but it's not dripping pure motor oil, so I'm confused at what is leaking and we're is coming from. I popped the hood right away and checked the dip stick and all around the manifold and valve covers and exhaust manifolds and found nothing !! Any tips or if anyone has had this problem please chime in !!

Thanks guys
antnicSS2010,

Sorry to hear about your fluid leak. I realize how concerning that would be and apologize for your frustration. Keep us posted on the results of your dealer visit. If necessary, I can contact their designated Customer Experience Manager if you have any additional questions. We'll look forward to your updates .

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote