Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-02-2015, 09:14 PM   #15
15xracing

Drives: 2011 Camaro ss 6.2L L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.evenson.10 View Post
I just did a muffler and resonator delete and added an h pipe on my 2014 Camaro SS L99 motor. It sounds great!!!! I also have the K & N Cold air intake. I'm looking at doing a Vmax throttle body next. I still have stock cats and manifolds.

This isn't my car, but one like it:

You like the k&n? That Camaro sounds about where id like mine. Definetly taking a note on that.
15xracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:20 PM   #16
15xracing

Here's another pic of it
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2015, 09:35 PM   #17
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Nice SS........headers and a tune after gears.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:41 PM   #18
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Welcome & nice ride. Not wanting to void my warranty either, I started with a K&N CAI and Flowmaster Force II axel back exhaust ... been very happy with both
Old 09-02-2015, 10:00 PM   #19
15xracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Welcome & nice ride. Not wanting to void my warranty either, I started with a K&N CAI and Flowmaster Force II axel back exhaust ... been very happy with both
Thanks! Good to hear. Might start off with an k&n being its pretty easy to pick one up too. I just know that the stock exhausts are driving me crazy lol. I've got to change it up asap.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:15 PM   #20
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15xracing View Post
Thanks! Good to hear. Might start off with an k&n being its pretty easy to pick one up too. I just know that the stock exhausts are driving me crazy lol. I've got to change it up asap.
Changed mine the first the week I owned it
Old 09-03-2015, 05:00 AM   #21
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15xracing View Post
Wow, Thanks for the quick replys! And for all the info! But it is a 2011.. Forgot to include that and will edit it in on my profile. And I did look into the CAI brand for the intake.. Probably will go with that. Second choice was k&n but I've heard mixed reviews on them.. I haven't noticed it kick into 4 cyl mode or did notice any changes when I'm driving it.. But it's hard to tell with the stock exhaust... im definetly going to look into the throttle controller too.. I'll have a little bit of money to grab a couple things this weekend. Done the fuse pull several times.. Car dealership thought they'd put 87 in it.. So I took it back and had them put 93 and I did a fuse pull after I ran the tank through. As far as the muffler delete deal, I will be looking into the axle backs for sure.. Car is under warranty so I will be doing little things for now till that's done with.
Thanks for adding the info - that helps a lot and saves time/posts asking for specifics. Anyway, if you "haven't noticed it kick into 4 cyl mode", I'm guessing AFM has been tuned out by the previous owner. Either that, or you use the paddles all the time - AFM is disable when in "M" mode and paddles are used. It is VERY noticeable and VERY annoying, even with stock exhaust and even at slow speeds. That being said; although you were told by the seller that you still have some powertrain warranty remaining, if you have engine issues and it is discovered by GM that you have had a tune... they most likely will not honor any remaining warranty.

If it were my car (very nice, by the way) I would go with CAI intake, quality headers, a nice sounding exhaust system, and a custom dyno tune (to include AFM disable and more aggressive shift points).
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:42 AM   #22
bork_bork

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 Convert Triple Black
Appearance wise I went with the factory ground effects. Wheels are next for me.

bork_bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:57 AM   #23
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Congrats on the new ride! I have a Roto-fab cold air intake, Bo White ported TB, I'm installing long tube headers as soon as they come in (have shortys now from previous owner), and Solo Mach XL catback. Roto-fab's quality, appearance, and performance is second to none. They're really excellent and I have bought multiple cold air intakes from them for different vehicles.

Solo's catback makes a L99 with or without AFM (4 cylinder mode) sound awesome! It gives it a deep muscle car rumble while being 100% drone free! The best part IMO, is that when you're cruising around it is nice and docile, it is close to stock cruising in the cab. However, the moment you get on it the car screams!! I saw one of my neighbors on the highway the other day and at first he didn't realize it was me so he zipped off in his Mitsubishi Lancer Evo. Once he slowed back down I punched it so I could show off the Camaro. When we got back to the neighborhood and saw that I was turning into my house he stopped and said, "man that thing is LOUD!!" He loved the sound so much that he almost went and traded his Evo in for a V8 that afternoon!

One mod that is MUST for L99's is a ported throttle body. Bo White is the best for hand porting that I have seen and is incredibly reasonably priced. He is supposed to be taking work again soon and when he does, get on his list to get your TB ported, or get one from him that he has pre-ported. He uses GM cores so they are quality pieces and not just some piece of junk from any auto parts store. It really awakens the car and actually allows a L99 to do a burnout!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:12 AM   #24
15xracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Thanks for adding the info - that helps a lot and saves time/posts asking for specifics. Anyway, if you "haven't noticed it kick into 4 cyl mode", I'm guessing AFM has been tuned out by the previous owner. Either that, or you use the paddles all the time - AFM is disable when in "M" mode and paddles are used. It is VERY noticeable and VERY annoying, even with stock exhaust and even at slow speeds. That being said; although you were told by the seller that you still have some powertrain warranty remaining, if you have engine issues and it is discovered by GM that you have had a tune... they most likely will not honor any remaining warranty.

If it were my car (very nice, by the way) I would go with CAI intake, quality headers, a nice sounding exhaust system, and a custom dyno tune (to include AFM disable and more aggressive shift points).
Thank you! And yeah unfortunately the warranty will keep me from doing a few things. But bolt ons are a go all day.. Cai, headers, exhaust are definetly on the list. Gotta find a good place to dyno tune
Old 09-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #25
15xracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bork_bork View Post
Appearance wise I went with the factory ground effects. Wheels are next for me.

Looks good man!
Old 09-03-2015, 08:19 AM   #26
15xracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Congrats on the new ride! I have a Roto-fab cold air intake, Bo White ported TB, I'm installing long tube headers as soon as they come in (have shortys now from previous owner), and Solo Mach XL catback. Roto-fab's quality, appearance, and performance is second to none. They're really excellent and I have bought multiple cold air intakes from them for different vehicles.

Solo's catback makes a L99 with or without AFM (4 cylinder mode) sound awesome! It gives it a deep muscle car rumble while being 100% drone free! The best part IMO, is that when you're cruising around it is nice and docile, it is close to stock cruising in the cab. However, the moment you get on it the car screams!! I saw one of my neighbors on the highway the other day and at first he didn't realize it was me so he zipped off in his Mitsubishi Lancer Evo. Once he slowed back down I punched it so I could show off the Camaro. When we got back to the neighborhood and saw that I was turning into my house he stopped and said, "man that thing is LOUD!!" He loved the sound so much that he almost went and traded his Evo in for a V8 that afternoon!

One mod that is MUST for L99's is a ported throttle body. Bo White is the best for hand porting that I have seen and is incredibly reasonably priced. He is supposed to be taking work again soon and when he does, get on his list to get your TB ported, or get one from him that he has pre-ported. He uses GM cores so they are quality pieces and not just some piece of junk from any auto parts store. It really awakens the car and actually allows a L99 to do a burnout!
Haha nice. And thanks! Ported throttle body was a for sure thing. Was looking at the vmax. Need to open options. Sounds good to me though. Definety need to look into those catbacks too. Will YouTube search them after work lol...
Old 09-03-2015, 08:26 AM   #27
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Appearance-wise, I went with aftermarket wheels and a 3D carbon fiber vinyl stripe. More recently, I blacked out the bowtie & SS emblems with 3D carbon fiber vinyl overlays.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2015, 08:46 AM   #28
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
I did not go power until I could get what I had to the ground first. I went BMR brand on my 2010 but stayed inboard on the parts as they did not have outboard swaps available. I probably need a driver mod before being able to experience a difference, but I could be wrong.

If you are only about sound...fine, but to be honest...suspension first based on your goals, brakes second (although the Brembos are very good to begin with), then start adding power until you break something. Fix it...wash, rinse, repeat.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6.2l, chevrolet, chevy, l99 engine