Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-13-2020, 10:39 AM   #1
jimmyducati

Drives: 01 SS Camaro
ZL1 shopping, what should I be concerned with going forward?

I plan on buying a 5th gen ZL1 in the very near future, and want to make sure Im buying the right car for the right reason!

It will be close to a daily driver, aside from normal maintenance and feeding it gas, what additional costs will I see maintaining a ZL1? Im looking at things like supercharger life, front brake rotor life, etc.

How do the Recaro's hold up, any issues (comfort or wear related) having them in a daily driven car?
jimmyducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #2
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Recaros are rare in a 5th, so you may be shopping for a while. Maintenance is minimal. SC can last 100-200k. Rotors can last 30-50k...depends on how it was driven.

Where you have to be careful is a high mileage Z, or a modified Z: the previous owner may have pounded on it daily, pushing it to the extreme. Then we can go down the rabbit hole of what mods, who modded it, what is the tune, and how was it driven. You'll be very safe with a stock low mileage Z.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:38 AM   #3
jimmyducati

Thanks, that confirms what Ive heard! I plan on getting an unmodded car, not a fan of inheriting someones project.

I had a H/C/I 01 SS for 10 years and regret selling, just looking forward to getting back into something that puts a smile on my face!
Old 05-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #4
jimmyducati

One last question, what would “low mileage” be considered for these cars? Looking at 2 different 14’s with the recaro seats. Both have 60kish miles are bone stock and are priced similarly.

The seats are a huge factor in my choice to narrow it down to these two.
Old 05-13-2020, 03:47 PM   #5
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Hah. I would consider under 10k or 20k low mileage. They're still out there. Some people just bought them as queens, weekenders, or couldn't like the power.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:59 PM   #6
Smitty CC

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyducati View Post
Thanks, that confirms what Ive heard! I plan on getting an unmodded car, not a fan of inheriting someones project.

I had a H/C/I 01 SS for 10 years and regret selling, just looking forward to getting back into something that puts a smile on my face!
Any car I intend to buy goes in for an inspection I had mine looked over and it had most mods already and the car runs and performs like it should. It had 21000 then and now has 42000. And I am smiling just thinking about driving!
Old 05-13-2020, 08:28 PM   #7
Mattzkatz

Drives: Not yet, but soon
The couple things I’ve gathered from reading similar threads and people’s recommendations not listed above (And are concerns of mine also being in the market) are the magnetic ride failure and supercharger “rattle”/isolator
Mattzkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:50 PM   #8
Shodown

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattzkatz View Post
The couple things I’ve gathered from reading similar threads and people’s recommendations not listed above (And are concerns of mine also being in the market) are the magnetic ride failure and supercharger “rattle”/isolator
^This.

The supercharger isolator is easy to swap if you have a basic set of tools and some RTV. It is covered under recall but you have to wait until it fails to have it fixed and GM will put another crappy isolator in again. An aftermarket solid isolator is only $50.

Also plan on spending some cash on new coil overs as the mag ride suspension usually gives out as well.

If you start increasing boost plan on reinforcing the supercharger brick because they are known to collapse. But that's only about $125.

Other than that they are solid cars and a ton of fun. Very fun and easy to mod.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:17 AM   #9
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
You should not have additional costs other than gas and maintenance. The ZL1 was built very well. You should look for some outer appearance gremlins such as excessive chipping (gills, front bumper), and of course worn tires. Outside of this, fasten your seatbelts and be prepared for a ride!

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote