Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-19-2020, 07:26 PM   #1
DonM
This is my 3rd Camaro

Drives: All black '13 LS-M6 / Darth Camaro
60 - 70 more miles per tank of gas.

I know that many feel that proper way to clean the intake valves is walnut blasting/manual cleaning and that using a spray cleaner is not a good idea, but I'm basically lazy and broke. I don't have the time or money to have someone do it for me or to buy the things I need to do it myself. So spray cleaner it is.

I've used Sea Foam in the past ... got the smoke show, rough running, CEL etc, but I never really saw/felt an improvement. So after going over more and more You Tube videos and a lot of research, I decided to give CRC, GDI Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner a try.

I pulled the intake tube off the TB, and had the wife keep the RPMs around 2k, while I sprayed the CRC directly onto the butterfly. Took about 15 minutes to empty the can and then revved the engine to ~3,500 twice, let it run for a minute, then shut it off and let it heat soak for 1.5 hours. I drove it on the highway for about 25 minutes, cruising at 65 mph/~2,000 rms. No CEL, no rough running, no smoke, NOTHING.

On the way home, I gassed up and drove it normally for about a week. At the end of the week, I checked my trip odometer (which is how I track my gas mileage) and saw that on that tank, I got almost 70 more miles on that tank of gas, with no change in driving habits. To me, it also seems like my mid-range power is better too.

I did a lot of back and forth with CRC, and they stated that if I wanted to do a double treatment to make sure my valves etc are clean to wait 1,000 miles between treatments so the 1st treatment can fully do it's work (they state that a treatment continues working for roughly 400 miles of driving).

I'm hoping to get some details in, so I can get the JacFab intake manifold spacer and Laminator and then I'll be pulling my intake and actually looking at the valves to check their condition.

DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:51 PM   #2
CamaroBarb

Drives: cheby Camaro
How many miles on your car and what oil are you using? I've never used the CRC but I've read about it extensively. What I don't like about it is if there enough carbon built up it may cause chunks of carbon to hold the valves open and bend a valve. Also I've read of many having the cats block after using it. Its not everyone that runs into trouble but I think it depends on what engine oil you are using and how bad the carbon build up is.

Same with the dealer using their cleaner. I know of a customer that had the cleaning done and the car ran terrible afterwards. Took it some place else and they found a bent valve. I think the safest is to walnut blast them as big a pita it is to do.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:58 PM   #3
DonM
This is my 3rd Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
How many miles on your car and what oil are you using?
Right now, I'm just under 120,000 miles and I use AMSOIL

Old 05-19-2020, 08:26 PM   #4
CamaroBarb

I'm curious what you find when you pull the intake.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:42 PM   #5
DonM
This is my 3rd Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
I'm curious what you find when you pull the intake.
So am I.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:10 PM   #6
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Old 05-19-2020, 10:47 PM   #7
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Edited

I use the seafoam fogger on the wife's Mini Cooper but it is GDI. Mini recommends pulling the head and having it walnut blasted due to the GDI design. I refuse. The seafoam works. Your Camaro is not the same though. The fuel washes over the valves and should be keeping them decently clean compared to a GDI.

I thought your signature said LS3 not LS. Fogging does work if done regularly for GDI engines
Old 05-20-2020, 12:24 AM   #8
DonM
This is my 3rd Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwdan View Post
Edited

I use the seafoam fogger on the wife's Mini Cooper but it is GDI. Mini recommends pulling the head and having it walnut blasted due to the GDI design. I refuse. The seafoam works. Your Camaro is not the same though. The fuel washes over the valves and should be keeping them decently clean compared to a GDI.

I thought your signature said LS3 not LS. Fogging does work if done regularly for GDI engines
I was just surprised that I didn't notice any difference with the Sea Foam like I did with the CRC. I'm going to give it a 2nd treatment in about a week - 10 days, then most likely every 5 - 10K miles after that.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:58 AM   #9
CamaroBarb

I've been using Techron complete fuel system cleaner every 4k just before I change the oil. It makes a huge difference in how it runs and the fuel mileage goes up. Unfortunately its only cleaning the fuel injectors and cylinders not the intake valves. I also notice the cleaning effct doesn't last very long. The cylinders are dirty again within a few 100 miles. GDI engines should use a different fuel mix to help with this carbon thing. My next car will be non GDI.