Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
ParadoxContinuum

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
2014 ZL1 Audio Build

I have had my ZL1 for just over two months, and love it with the exception of the factory Boston Acoustics audio system. I have had aftermarket audio systems installed in every car I have ever owned since I was a teenager with exception of my 2012 Chrysler 300 which had the 900 watt Harmon Kardon Logic7 system which I was happy enough with to leave it be.

The ZL1 is my daily driver, it is now garage kept. I drive almost all city, about 3000 miles per year.

I want to avoid stressing the alternator, adding a battery, and to keep things looking relatively stock.

I only plan on using the USB & Bluetooth inputs from the MyLink head unit, I listen to various styles of music, but primarily Progressive House, Dubstep, Rap, Classic Rock, and 90's Alternative.

The installer whom I am likely to also purchase the equipment from is an Audison & JL Signature dealer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Front Components: Audison Voce AV K6 $500.00
http://www.audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=38

Rear Speakers: Disconnect

Front Center: Disconnect

Amp: JL Audio HD900/5 w/ HD-RLC $900.00 ( configured 2 x 150w + 1 x 500w )
http://www.jlaudio.com/hd900-5-car-a...plifiers-98223

Digital Processor: Audison bit Ten D $550.00
http://www.audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=41

Subwoofer: SB-GM-CAM/12W6v3 JL Audio Camaro Stealthbox w/ 12" W6v3 $950.00
http://www.jlaudio.com/sb-gm-cam-12w...ealthbox-94472

Sound Deadening: dealer's choice / as applicable.

I have already purchased the 5G-FARK & 5G-FFA.
I could save quite a bit if I purchased the 12W6v3 separately and got the ******** 5G-LDS stealth enclosure, has anyone experienced both? I assume JL engineered the SB-GM-CAM specifically for the 12W6v3, and its fiberglass vs mdf so probably lighter and potentially a better fit.

Does the Camaro have any infamous areas that vibrate that would not be readily apparent to the installers?

I rarely have back seat passengers, so from a front seat perspective, has anyone missed the rear fill? I have never foregone rear speakers in a vehicle before.

Is a deep cycle battery or capacitor helpful with this setup?

I am likely going to pull the trigger on this tomorrow, and have all installed within two weeks.

I am currently spending about $4,200 with labor & taxes and misc items, and I'd prefer to keep it under $5,000.

I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions, I will post pics & a system review once the install is complete.

Thanks
ParadoxContinuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
Red Rider 1027

Drives: 2014 Red 2SS
I have the same JL Audio amp and stealthbox you mentioned. The combo sounds great and I haven't noticed any vibrations or other issues.
Red Rider 1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
customaudioman

Drives: burnt orange
I did a JL Audio stealth enclosure and JL Audio 1000/1 v2 slash amplifier on 370z. The fiberglass enclosure bolted to the frame of the car. The setup sounded pretty good, nice tight accurate bass response. Had no vibrations or rattles. I have not done one yet on a Camaro.

customaudioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
laditee

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Very nice
Old 07-07-2014, 01:10 AM   #5
customaudioman

Drives: burnt orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxContinuum View Post
I have had my ZL1 for just over two months, and love it with the exception of the factory Boston Acoustics audio system. I have had aftermarket audio systems installed in every car I have ever owned since I was a teenager with exception of my 2012 Chrysler 300 which had the 900 watt Harmon Kardon Logic7 system which I was happy enough with to leave it be.

The ZL1 is my daily driver, it is now garage kept. I drive almost all city, about 3000 miles per year.

I want to avoid stressing the alternator, adding a battery, and to keep things looking relatively stock.

I only plan on using the USB & Bluetooth inputs from the MyLink head unit, I listen to various styles of music, but primarily Progressive House, Dubstep, Rap, Classic Rock, and 90's Alternative.

The installer whom I am likely to also purchase the equipment from is an Audison & JL Signature dealer.

Front Components: Audison Voce AV K6 $500.00
http://www.audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=38

Rear Speakers: Disconnect

Front Center: Disconnect

Amp: JL Audio HD900/5 w/ HD-RLC $900.00 ( configured 2 x 150w + 1 x 500w )
http://www.jlaudio.com/hd900-5-car-a...plifiers-98223

Digital Processor: Audison bit Ten D $550.00
http://www.audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=41

Subwoofer: SB-GM-CAM/12W6v3 JL Audio Camaro Stealthbox w/ 12" W6v3 $950.00
http://www.jlaudio.com/sb-gm-cam-12w...ealthbox-94472

Sound Deadening: dealer's choice / as applicable.

I have already purchased the 5G-FARK & 5G-FFA.
I could save quite a bit if I purchased the 12W6v3 separately and got the ******** 5G-LDS stealth enclosure, has anyone experienced both? I assume JL engineered the SB-GM-CAM specifically for the 12W6v3, and its fiberglass vs mdf so probably lighter and potentially a better fit.

Does the Camaro have any infamous areas that vibrate that would not be readily apparent to the installers?

I rarely have back seat passengers, so from a front seat perspective, has anyone missed the rear fill? I have never foregone rear speakers in a vehicle before.

Is a deep cycle battery or capacitor helpful with this setup?

I am likely going to pull the trigger on this tomorrow, and have all installed within two weeks.

I am currently spending about $4,200 with labor & taxes and misc items, and I'd prefer to keep it under $5,000.

I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions, I will post pics & a system review once the install is complete.

Thanks
If your a JL Audio guy, then the equipment you listed should work out
for you. I never tried the Audison speakers or the bit ten dsp yet. I know some of the guys in the audio world use the Audison bitone dsp. But that DSP cost $1k. Since it a 5ch amp and your not using rear fill, I would go active on the components up front.

For this system, you shouldn't need a upgraded battery or cap. Caps are a waste money IMO. But if you like to use your system when parked with the car off, then a upgraded battery would be nice. Then you will have good reserve power without killing your battery.

Really you can have the top brand equipment in the game, but if the install is sub-par then it will effect the performance of the system. I always focus on this area with my customers rather them buying high dollar equipment. Speaker placement, deadening problems areas, neat wire routing and fit and finish.
customaudioman is offline   Reply With Quote