Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-10-2016, 11:14 PM   #1
ajohnson

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
thinking about upgrading to an SS...

I've owned a 2010 LT for about half a year now, and thinking about upgrading into an SS this spring. This Camaro is my first actual "Fast Car" and yes i know, in overall aspect of things its really not that fast, but from previously owning nothing but pickups this thing is a long shot from them and loads of fun Anyways, Im curious of some car buy/sell sites you guys recommend to check? I've always only ever bought vehicles locally but going to broaden the horizon and look within 500 miles or so of my area for the right car/deal. I'm going to probably look into getting a 2010 2ss, as they will be cheapest (I would have to imagine anyway... lol)

Also a few questions, what should i look out for as far as issues with that year? I'm just on the fence about getting rid of my current camaro and upgrading or not. the v6 has more get up and get then i thought it would and i have a blast driving it. I dont ever go to the track, but enjoy having fun every now and again. I would have loved to get an ss from the get go, but I'm just going back and fourth with the decision as obviously it will cost more, and one issue i need to sort out is how much insurance would increase, I'm 20 years old and insurance on my current car is 72 bucks but i worry it will skyrocket if i were to upgrade. Also with gas, is it required to run premium with v8s?

Looking for some motivation from you guys hopefully with your opinions
ajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:29 PM   #2
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Premium fuel is recommended, and many would say required.

I would look for a 2SS RS as it would be nicely equipped.

It will be more expensive in all aspects.

If you lack self control, this would not be a good vehicle for you. With great power comes great responsibility.

If you can afford it, abd have the mental warewithal, go for it. You only live once.

My Indy shop owner has a '12 and recommends that year because he figured they worked out most of the bugs... I bought an 11 anyway and love it.

JMHO
Old 02-11-2016, 12:25 AM   #3
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
Quote:
If you lack self control, this would not be a good vehicle for you. With great power comes great responsibility.
Ditto this, we talk on the forum about playing with our cars but these are NOT toys.
400+ hp in a car like this is more than enough to get you in a heap of trouble real quick. Tickets accidents or worse. You will need to be the judge. I know 20 year olds that are very responsible and 60 year olds that should have these cars taken away from them.

I just traded up from a 2LT/RS to a 2SS/RS. While I would never make fun of a V6 there is no substitute for a V8. They really are that fun. I also would go with the 2012 or newer with less than 25k on it but that is me. I also would steer clear of cars that are heavily modded as they often have been driven really hard. If you can find one from a private party that a middle aged woman owned, they often have been driven the easiest. Not being sexist here, there are plenty of women on the forum here that can bang gears as well or better than most men. I'm just speaking in general.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:54 AM   #4
ajohnson

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by songsj View Post
Ditto this, we talk on the forum about playing with our cars but these are NOT toys.
400+ hp in a car like this is more than enough to get you in a heap of trouble real quick. Tickets accidents or worse. You will need to be the judge. I know 20 year olds that are very responsible and 60 year olds that should have these cars taken away from them.

I just traded up from a 2LT/RS to a 2SS/RS. While I would never make fun of a V6 there is no substitute for a V8. They really are that fun. I also would go with the 2012 or newer with less than 25k on it but that is me. I also would steer clear of cars that are heavily modded as they often have been driven really hard. If you can find one from a private party that a middle aged woman owned, they often have been driven the easiest. Not being sexist here, there are plenty of women on the forum here that can bang gears as well or better than most men. I'm just speaking in general.
yeah i agree. I may be 20, but think i am very responsible. I am generally very cautious about watching my speed in town and do not horse around very often at all. Yes on occasion i let loose a bit but not without being aware and careful of my surroundings. I do not plan on buying a modded car, want to buy all/mainly stock if i did. like i mentioned ive got a 2010 and have had zero issues with it and really enjoy it, but i guess ill have to look into the price difference from the 10 to 12. My car also has 86k on it and still running great. Just trying to weigh out the positives and negatives of upgrading still.
ajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:14 AM   #5
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Life is too short...if it is something you really want & can afford, go for it
Old 02-11-2016, 02:37 AM   #6
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Make the most, and grab hold of every opportunity life has for you.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:19 AM   #7
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
I'd say expect your insurance to double

Like someone in the thread already said, everything about it will be more costly, but everything about the car is worth it IMO
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:52 AM   #8
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Life is too short...if it is something you really want & can afford, go for it
I remember being 20-ish and thinking "life is too short".... now I'm 62 and have an immense appreciation for the past 40 years. I lived within my means (for the most part) and did what I had to do to ensure a good career and a stabile retirement. Life is better now than I ever imagined it would be, because I realized early on that life is a marathon... not a sprint.

AJOHNSON - the decisions you make now will greatly influence how your life goes for the next, who knows, 50, 60, 70 years. Take your time and make wise choices. Number one should be to control your finances. You'll be glad you did in your later years. A little financial restraint now will pay off in spades later on.

I think you should be very happy with your current ride (which you obviously are) and save up for an upgrade when your financial decisions don't include asking, "can I afford an extra $5 per tank of gas and $10 per month for insurance?"
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:59 AM   #9
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post

If you lack self control, this would not be a good vehicle for you.

JMHO
I've lacked self control since kindergarten. It's been a great vehicle for me.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:12 AM   #10
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I've owned both the Gen5 Camaro v6 (about 2 years) and owned V8 since Dec 2014. There is about a 1 second difference in 0-60 time between them. In most cases I'd accelerate faster in the v6 auto then in the v8 manual in everyday driving situations.

With that said ... the stock SS with dual-mode NPP exhaust option and manual transmission makes the driving experience more enjoyable for me (SS also has positraction, suspension upgrade, and Brembo brakes). If you really feel you will only be happy now going the SS route ... I'd look for SS with very low mileage with manual transmission and make sure the clutch is in great shape. Hunch - chances are if you start driving manual trans Camaro you will not regret that you did not get an automatic (think it is fairly rare that someone driving manual Camaro wishes it was an automatic).

You can run regular fuel in the SS but the engine computer re-times the engine to handle the lower octane and you will loose some performance. Chevy states that premium is recommended (but not required). Premium runs 20 to 40 cents per gallon more where I live (I always use premium).

There was no difference in insurance rates on my v6 compared to v8. I had insurance company give me the rates for a Camaro with vin from v6 and vin from v8 and they were about the same for same year car. Your age may be a factor in the rates, it does not cost anything to have your insurance agent give you a rate prior to purchase of the vehicle you are thinking of buying.

Always good to have an expert look over the car you are thinking of buying for complete evaluation on mechanical condition and looking for any hidden accident damage (and Carfax).
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:16 AM   #11
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
It sounds like you are happy with what you got. Are you catching flack from your buds or something that has you thinking of changing already? If so "f"them. There is always a more powerful and faster car out there.
It doesn't sound like you're upset enough with your current ride to make it worth losing money on your trade, losing the money you've already paid on your car plus any downpayments that you may have put down when you bought it along with the added cost of fuel, maintenance and insurance. Also, if the car you have is a good one and problem free that's good. You're next used one may not be especially an SS. Many of them have been modded, run hard and even raced. Many of the 2010's weren't without problems although most were probably taken care of under warranty.

Good luck.

Last edited by motorhead; 02-11-2016 at 09:15 AM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:39 AM   #12
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I remember being 20-ish and thinking "life is too short".... now I'm 62 and have an immense appreciation for the past 40 years. I lived within my means (for the most part) and did what I had to do to ensure a good career and a stabile retirement. Life is better now than I ever imagined it would be, because I realized early on that life is a marathon... not a sprint.

AJOHNSON - the decisions you make now will greatly influence how your life goes for the next, who knows, 50, 60, 70 years. Take your time and make wise choices. Number one should be to control your finances. You'll be glad you did in your later years. A little financial restraint now will pay off in spades later on.

I think you should be very happy with your current ride (which you obviously are) and save up for an upgrade when your financial decisions don't include asking, "can I afford an extra $5 per tank of gas and $10 per month for insurance?"
I am 55 and agree you should live within your means & plan for the future, which is why I included the statement 'and you can afford' in my post. That being said, witnessing what I did during my 29 years in the military, watching friends and family pass at relatively young ages and being a cancer survivor, I say you never know what tomorrow may bring, so prepare & plan for your future, but live & enjoy life to it's fullest today
Old 02-11-2016, 08:28 AM   #13
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Test drive different cars....just because one guy wanted a manual doesn't mean you do to. With a tune and gears your auto will be a beast. But it's all in what your looking for. Your age dictates your insurance so be aware before you buy.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:36 AM   #14
polizzio

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
I've owned both the Gen5 Camaro v6 (about 2 years) and owned V8 since Dec 2014. There is about a 1 second difference in 0-60 time between them. In most cases I'd accelerate faster in the v6 auto then in the v8 manual in everyday driving situations.

With that said ... the stock SS with dual-mode NPP exhaust option and manual transmission makes the driving experience more enjoyable for me (SS also has positraction, suspension upgrade, and Brembo brakes). If you really feel you will only be happy now going the SS route ... I'd look for SS with very low mileage with manual transmission and make sure the clutch is in great shape. Hunch - chances are if you start driving manual trans Camaro you will not regret that you did not get an automatic (think it is fairly rare that someone driving manual Camaro wishes it was an automatic).

You can run regular fuel in the SS but the engine computer re-times the engine to handle the lower octane and you will loose some performance. Chevy states that premium is recommended (but not required). Premium runs 20 to 40 cents per gallon more where I live (I always use premium).

There was no difference in insurance rates on my v6 compared to v8. I had insurance company give me the rates for a Camaro with vin from v6 and vin from v8 and they were about the same for same year car. Your age may be a factor in the rates, it does not cost anything to have your insurance agent give you a rate prior to purchase of the vehicle you are thinking of buying.

Always good to have an expert look over the car you are thinking of buying for complete evaluation on mechanical condition and looking for any hidden accident damage (and Carfax).
Ron
Now this is great perspective and advice on the topic. I too have toyed with the idea of moving to an slightly used SS or 1LE. To me, the gains r just not worth spending another $6-12k out of my pocket in additional cost and taxes for the V8, to make the swap. And my current 47k mileage 2012 1LT SIM is perfect, not a single door dent or scratch on it. Rock and stone chips on the nose.....yes.

My local dealer has a brand new 2015 white LS auto for $19,000...now that is some great value. Where I test drove the 2015 black Z28 still sitting on their lot, for 7 months and counting. Oh that Z........wow! Got to stay away........far far away.

Last edited by polizzio; 02-11-2016 at 09:10 AM.
polizzio is offline   Reply With Quote