Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-25-2023, 03:43 PM   #15
JAFWF
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 1994 Z/28 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY View Post
But why though? All you need is the right pads and fluid on the OEM brakes to track the car. Even with the factory GM pads and fresh DOT 4 fluid they will handle any curvy road and light track work, it literally comes with race brakes from GM.

Unless you just want them for visuals

Just my thought, I believe your last sentence covers a lot of things.
JAFWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 04:46 PM   #16
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
Guys I respect your opinions, however I just wanted a question answered to know if it was a straight forward exchange once I got all the parts from someone who might have experienced it already. As I expressed the weight savings and brake dust is the key factor along with the acceleration gains from loss of rotational mass, which is why they are on the Z28. RH96ss shot me a pm to answer my question.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 11:18 PM   #17
Little Walter

Drives: ZL1
The only downside to carbon ceramic brakes for street use is cost, if you are getting them for an excellent price and they are in good condition, you are making a good move. I wish I could find some myself other than paying $12000.00 for a new set, I know one person that made the conversion on his ZL1, He claimed that his car gained almost two tenths in the 1/8 mile by just going from the OEM ZL1 brakes to the Z28 carbon ceramics. If chevy would have put carbon ceramics on the ZL1 it would cost more or equaled the Z28 price. They are excellent for the street better than iron and will likely last the life of the car, if not tracked to often generating heavy heavy heat, remember these are carbon ceramic, not carbon carbon that are used on formula 1 cars and aircraft which handle high heat better, but for weight reduction and less rotational mass carbon ceramics are great for acceleration and quick braking, the rotors are about 40% to 60% lighter than steel rotors, but sometime the calipers are heavier, which in your case on the ZL1 is not a huge weight difference. If you are doing heavy road course tracking, I would recommend staying with your steel rotors. Also remember wear is determined by weight (mass) on carbon ceramics not thickness like iron.

Last edited by Little Walter; 06-26-2023 at 12:51 AM.
Little Walter is offline   Reply With Quote