Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #29
stros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I had a similar clunking / popping sound after putting my springs and swaybars on. My issue was resolved by maneuvering the front coil springs so they were seated perfectly into the grooves left by the OEM coils.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #30
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
We are continuing to work with SSSoon to make sure his issues get resolved. It's most likely something during the reinstallation of the upper mount or potentially something involved in the alignment procedure... both of which are very atypical of the normal drop spring experience.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #31
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
There's a lot of threads showing on that endlink......
Old 12-16-2011, 08:53 AM   #32
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Scratching our heads on this. Anyone see anything wrong on this front strut assembly? It looks good to us.

On one side the top of the spring was not positioned in the same spot on the yellow foam piece of the bearing plate as on the factory. On the other it was.

Does anyone else find it a little strange that the top end of the spring is actually touching the next coil down even when the spring is not under pressure?

Reassembled it and it still pops and binds on both sides.
Attached Images

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.

Last edited by SSSoon; 12-16-2011 at 09:15 AM.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #33
RIDE-F-X

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Camaro
Was it put back together and driven once you corrected the coil not sitting in the foam piece on each side? I would find a back alley somewhere with scattered potholes and see if it's just one side making the noise. If so, then you can start swaping parts from side to side to narrow it down if you don't have any other leads right now.
RIDE-F-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #34
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDE-F-X View Post
Was it put back together and driven once you corrected the coil not sitting in the foam piece on each side? I would find a back alley somewhere with scattered potholes and see if it's just one side making the noise. If so, then you can start swaping parts from side to side to narrow it down if you don't have any other leads right now.
Good suggestion! Unfortunately, depressing news: We checked for that in a different way, and it's both. I turned the wheel while he felt the spring at either corner and he could feel it popping differently on both sides.

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #35
RIDE-F-X

If you're still looking for suggestions, I would probably buy one of those upper bearing assemblies ($32 is retail from GM) and see if one side quiets down. If he's feeling it from the spring, that bearing doesn't sound like it is doing it's job right. The entire strut upper mount isn't spinning inside the unibody right? The bearing should be the only thing moving while turning.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #36
SSSoon

Quote:
If you're still looking for suggestions, I would probably buy one of those upper bearing assemblies ($32 is retail from GM) and see if one side quiets down. If he's feeling it from the spring, that bearing doesn't sound like it is doing it's job right. The entire strut upper mount isn't spinning inside the unibody right? The bearing should be the only thing moving while turning.
Thanks man. Pfadt looked at all the install pix and can't figure out what the problem is. They suggest putting the stock springs back in to see if the noise goes away. That's possible but sure doesn't help me out if the noise DOES go away... doesn't help find the solution. I guess we assume something wrong with the Pfadt springs if swapping the stock springs back in works?

Going to take your advice and pick up a set of stock upper bearing assemblies like you suggest. I wonder if the old OEM spring compressed the neoprene isolator in a way that made the Pfadt spring slip rather than catch. Have ordered a pair - should show up by end of week and then we'll try it out after Christmas (both ways - swap bearing assembly and if no benefit, swap springs). Either way we'll probably have a solution next week.

Pete

Old 12-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #37
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Pete,

It is more work, but you should only change one variable at a time. I suggest you try the OE coils and change nothing else.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #38
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Keep us in the loop with what's going on with the car Pete. If swapping out the upper mount doesn't work the last troubleshooting step would be to swap back to the stock spring package.

Like mentioned in our correspondence so far, there isn't much else it really can be at that point. Our bet is on the upper mounts, or something in the steering system which was disassembled to get the front bar off.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #39
RIDE-F-X

Here's another thing to do, open the hood with the camaro running. Reach in the and turn the wheel back and forth to see if the upper washer is spinning while you turn. Is there a moderate gap between the bottom side of the top washer and the top of the unibody still?
Old 12-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #40
SSSoon

Quote:
Here's another thing to do, open the hood with the camaro running. Reach in the and turn the wheel back and forth to see if the upper washer is spinning while you turn. Is there a moderate gap between the bottom side of the top washer and the top of the unibody still?
Back in town. Tried what you suggest - thanks for helping on this.

Upper washer is not rotating when we turn the wheel. It wiggles around a bit as the strut assembly turns, but it does not rotate. The large rubber washer on top is about 3/8" up from the sheet metal. I think that's how it should be, right?

Hoping the new isolators show up from the dealer early next week and then we can try swapping them out to see if that does it. If not, we'll try going back to OEM springs.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #41
RIDE-F-X

Hmmm... you were able to check both sides right? Did it still make the noise while you were watching the top part of the struts? The little bit of translational movement and the gap is normal. The coil spring should be spinning when the body of the shock turns, if it's not maybe that's what is making the noise. The shock shaft shouldn't be spinning while turning either... let us know how you make out...
Old 12-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #42
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
I have the same noise after installing my Pfadt springs. I talked to Jordan today about purchasing new sway bars and end links to try and remedy the noise. But I need to isolate the sways first to make sure that is the problem.
There are a TON of complaints with popping noises after lowering springs are installed. Not just with Pfadt but all manufactures.
Does anyone have a good pic of what the stock endlinks should look like when installed properly?
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote