Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 03-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #29
knitetrain05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary Edi
I just bought one with the upgrade hose kit.
knitetrain05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:16 PM   #30
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I received mine in the mail today and will do my install tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #31
mynetdude

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Silver
I got mine, but haven't a clue how to install it yet; I'll have to ask some of my car buddies if they'll help me with it and I don't have a torx/hex screwdriver that will work with it so yeah... and its been raining so the C5 hasn't/isn't gone/going anywhere but I don't have a lot of space in my garage yet to really do anything with it while its in the garage as I'm still trying to organize it but I can't when it rains or when I have a ton of other things that need to get done (since I only drive in dry weather except the 2-3 miles around my home I don't go far unless there's no rain with my DD but with my C5 always dry weather)

I'll have to wait and see when I can get it put on.
mynetdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:05 AM   #32
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Another potentially dumb question... for threaded cans, like the Elite, should I be concerned about the cap staying tight? Mine has been solid, but I wonder about thread wear, oil on the threads after emptying, and expansion/contraction from thermal cycles... what life are these designed for? What would happen if the cap did fall off while driving? Personally, I'd like to see some kind of anti-rotation feature in the design.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:10 PM   #33
mynetdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluBlud View Post
Another potentially dumb question... for threaded cans, like the Elite, should I be concerned about the cap staying tight? Mine has been solid, but I wonder about thread wear, oil on the threads after emptying, and expansion/contraction from thermal cycles... what life are these designed for? What would happen if the cap did fall off while driving? Personally, I'd like to see some kind of anti-rotation feature in the design.
I suppose you could drill two small holes but not too deep but deep enough for small screws to thread in and use a lightweight/mini bracket and put a screw in the top and screw at the top of the bottom and they can't move to unthread; that being said would make emptying a little extra work.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #34
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitetrain05 View Post
I just bought one with the upgrade hose kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I received mine in the mail today and will do my install tomorrow.
Thank you both for your orders. Be sure to post some pictures after you get it installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynetdude View Post
I got mine, but haven't a clue how to install it yet; I'll have to ask some of my car buddies if they'll help me with it and I don't have a torx/hex screwdriver that will work with it so yeah... and its been raining so the C5 hasn't/isn't gone/going anywhere but I don't have a lot of space in my garage yet to really do anything with it while its in the garage as I'm still trying to organize it but I can't when it rains or when I have a ton of other things that need to get done (since I only drive in dry weather except the 2-3 miles around my home I don't go far unless there's no rain with my DD but with my C5 always dry weather)

I'll have to wait and see when I can get it put on.
You can find installation instructions at http://www.apex-speed.com/installation.html. Obviously those are for the Apex catch can but they all install in a similar manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluBlud View Post
No, I have never seen one loosen up. If anything the heating and cooling seems to tighten them. The Elite has rubber seals that hold it tight and the Apex catch can uses a mechanical seal based on a connection design on nuclear submarines. I have zero concerns about either of them.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #35
mynetdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post

You can find installation instructions at http://www.apex-speed.com/installation.html. Obviously those are for the Apex catch can but they all install in a similar manner.
its not a matter of getting instructions, I have never worked on a car (although I have changed a tire twice). I don't see myself pulling off headers and changing out a pump or anything like that since that's more complex than installing a catch can (and I probably could do some of the complex work with help which I will have this summer).

Of course all the components on my C5 look different than my Honda's components so I am not even sure what some things are until I can get somebody who knows to go through it with me.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:32 AM   #36
TOYMARO

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
..............No, I have never seen one loosen up. If anything the heating and cooling seems to tighten them. The Elite has rubber seals that hold it tight and the Apex catch can uses a mechanical seal based on a connection design on nuclear submarines. I have zero concerns about either of them.

I will say this. Before I installed mine. I made the mistake of seeing how the cap "spins" freely on the can. Its was going great too. Spins real nice on and off. Till the damn thing spun tight HARD. It took some cloths, and 2 pairs of big channel locks to get it open again. UGH....i really though i may not get it.

So now......a nice hand tightening and it will NOT come off
TOYMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #37
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYMARO View Post
I will say this. Before I installed mine. I made the mistake of seeing how the cap "spins" freely on the can. Its was going great too. Spins real nice on and off. Till the damn thing spun tight HARD. It took some cloths, and 2 pairs of big channel locks to get it open again. UGH....i really though i may not get it.

You definitely do not want to tighten it down. As soon as it grips, STOP! It is sealed and as tight as it needs to be.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #38
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYMARO View Post

Yeah that is the face right there. I had the guy that changes my oil empty mine once & he over tightened it. My husband & I had to remove it from the car & like you said, cloths, vice grip, etc & nearly gave up before finaly getting it off. He is not allowed to touch it anymore. Other than that I have never had a problem & am really glad all the gunk I have poured out of it is not now in my engine.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #39
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
Had this happen once on an Osh-Kosh truck we use. Used an oxygen sensor socket to just loosen it. YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Yeah that is the face right there. I had the guy that changes my oil empty mine once & he over tightened it. My husband & I had to remove it from the car & like you said, cloths, vice grip, etc & nearly gave up before finaly getting it off. He is not allowed to touch it anymore. Other than that I have never had a problem & am really glad all the gunk I have poured out of it is not now in my engine.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #40
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
I am surprised that an oil change guy was willing to do something that was not part of their normal procedure.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #41
Blue Thunder

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 1SS/RS
Here's my Elite Engineering can about 400 miles after install.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Stainless Power 1-7/8 headers, HF cats
Magnaflow 3" tru-x cat back exhaust
NicKey Dyno tune
Bo White ported throttle body
Elite Engineering Catch Can
CAI air intake
GM Strut Brace Bar
JL Audio 12w3 sub, JX1000/1d amp
CFD Carbon Fiber pistol grip TapShift shifter
EGX rear window louvers
4500k HID head and fog lights

Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #42
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Here's my Elite Engineering can about 400 miles after install.
Feels good to see the oil there and know it isn't gumming up your intake manifold and valves.

Tags
apex catch can, apex motorsports, catch can