Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-06-2019, 07:24 AM   #1
LimaTangoOne

Drives: '16 2SS M6 Convertible
Please tell me I'm not crazy! 2SS or ATS-V?

Early this year, I randomly test drove a '19 1SS M6. I was very surprised at how much I liked it, so I sold my C5 Z06 and Nissan Leaf and began shopping for my new SS. While doing so, I stumbled across a 2017 Cadillac ATS-V A8 sedan.

I had to have it. The car is amazing, it's loaded with options, and it has unreal performance for the money. However, there has always been this little itch or tickle in the back of my mind that's bothered me and kept me from being totally satisfied with the V. Part of it is that the car is so nice, that I'm afraid to drive it for fear of messing something up and just putting more miles on it. Another thing is that I don't like that A8 and I miss the V8 rumble of my cammed vette.

Forward to the present, and I'm set to drive 4 1/2 hours, tomorrow, to trade down (in value) for a '16 2SS vert M6. I'll be saving a little money, and I'll once again have a manual v8, which I've missed, but I'm stepping down in luxury AND performance. I can't stop torturing myself over whether or not I'm making a mistake.

Please help me!!
LimaTangoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:53 AM   #2
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaTangoOne View Post
Early this year, I randomly test drove a '19 1SS M6. I was very surprised at how much I liked it, so I sold my C5 Z06 and Nissan Leaf and began shopping for my new SS. While doing so, I stumbled across a 2017 Cadillac ATS-V A8 sedan.

I had to have it. The car is amazing, it's loaded with options, and it has unreal performance for the money. However, there has always been this little itch or tickle in the back of my mind that's bothered me and kept me from being totally satisfied with the V. Part of it is that the car is so nice, that I'm afraid to drive it for fear of messing something up and just putting more miles on it. Another thing is that I don't like that A8 and I miss the V8 rumble of my cammed vette.

Forward to the present, and I'm set to drive 4 1/2 hours, tomorrow, to trade down (in value) for a '16 2SS vert M6. I'll be saving a little money, and I'll once again have a manual v8, which I've missed, but I'm stepping down in luxury AND performance. I can't stop torturing myself over whether or not I'm making a mistake.

Please help me!!

My previous 2 cars were a Lexus RC350 F-Sport and an Infiniti Q60 Premium. I decided to go back to American muscle instead of some power with luxury. I have no regrets and haven't looked back. But, ultimately, it's personal preference and you have to do what makes you happy. Drive them both, one after the other, and go with what puts the bigger smile on your face. Good luck!
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:33 AM   #3
LimaTangoOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJangle View Post
My previous 2 cars were a Lexus RC350 F-Sport and an Infiniti Q60 Premium. I decided to go back to American muscle instead of some power with luxury. I have no regrets and haven't looked back. But, ultimately, it's personal preference and you have to do what makes you happy. Drive them both, one after the other, and go with what puts the bigger smile on your face. Good luck!
Thanks, SJ.

The weird thing is that, with the ATS-V, I technically already have MORE muscle. I guess I need to start a "what I'll miss vs what I want" chart.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:40 AM   #4
kalel

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
I looked at the ATS-V briefly but lost interest after reading comparisons/shootouts. The Camaro wins all of the head to heads but the ATS-V loses every one to the M3, AMG, and Guilias out there.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:48 AM   #5
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
I personally think the ATSV is a fine car but I like the Camaro interior more, especially the gauges. So it was an easy choice for me.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:48 AM   #6
LimaTangoOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalel View Post
I looked at the ATS-V briefly but lost interest after reading comparisons/shootouts. The Camaro wins all of the head to heads but the ATS-V loses every one to the M3, AMG, and Guilias out there.
Hmmm...that's strange. Everything I saw and read showed the V beating all but the Guillia. It certainly feels quicker than the M6 SS.

A few weeks ago I took on a '15-'17 Mustang GT from a dig and had 2 car lengths on him by the time I let off at 90 mpg. That's the only real world comparison I've been able to make.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:54 AM   #7
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
Quote:
Thanks, SJ.

The weird thing is that, with the ATS-V, I technically already have MORE muscle. I guess I need to start a "what I'll miss vs what I want" chart.

Welcome!

That's a good start but may end-up driving you crazy. It did me. I drove 7 different cars by 5 different manufacturers before making-up my mind. And, I definitely get the luxury thing. They were: Audi (A5, TTS), BMW (M240i xDrive, 4 Series Coupe), Chevy (Camaro 2SS), Ford (Mustang GT with GT Performance Package), and Mercedes (C300 Coupe). For me, it's the feel of the car when I drive it. For example, my previous Lexus and Infiniti had front view and 360 view cameras. I miss having those big time especially when pulling into parking spaces or my garage. But missing those options weren't enough to kill the joy I had when I test drove my Camaro. It seems there's give and take when going from manufacturer to manufacturer/model to model. Another example was that all were in the same price range, 55K to 60K MSRP but the Mercedes didn't even have navigation at that price. I still drove it and liked it but that alone checked it off of my list.
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:11 AM   #8
LimaTangoOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
I personally think the ATSV is a fine car but I like the Camaro interior more, especially the gauges. So it was an easy choice for me.
I totally agree about the guages--total fail by the Caddy guys. I think I'll miss the ATS recarros the most. Best seats I've ever owned. Better leather, too.

Oh and those adaptive headlights on the V. And the lane-keep assist...and the remote start...

dang it, I don't know what to do!!
Old 09-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #9
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
LTO, why not look at a used 2017-2018 ZL1 instead of the SS vert! I went from a 2016 2SS to a 2017 ZL1 and couldn’t be happier. It was used with about 422 miles and got it for a good price and had some equity in my 2016 so it was a no brainer for me. Maybe consider the ZL1 route with either a M6 or 10 speed auto.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:28 AM   #10
lgarrison34

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE HBM, 2010 SS FBO/Cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
LTO, why not look at a used 2017-2018 ZL1 instead of the SS vert! I went from a 2016 2SS to a 2017 ZL1 and couldn’t be happier. It was used with about 422 miles and got it for a good price and had some equity in my 2016 so it was a no brainer for me. Maybe consider the ZL1 route with either a M6 or 10 speed auto.
+1
Old 09-06-2019, 09:29 AM   #11
LT4Greg

I see you are in Georgia so you should be able to find some that would interest you. I found mine on Cars.com back in early March at a Chevy dealer in South Carolina so it was a 4 hour drive for me but enjoyable coming thru Atlanta on the way home(Columbus).
Old 09-06-2019, 09:29 AM   #12
LimaTangoOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Oh I would kill for that, but one of my goals here is to go down in cost. If I went with a ZL1, I'd not only have to pay for that but also the resulting divorce.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:41 AM   #13
kalel

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Hmmm...that's strange. Everything I saw and read showed the V beating all but the Guillia. It certainly feels quicker than the M6 SS.

A few weeks ago I took on a '15-'17 Mustang GT from a dig and had 2 car lengths on him by the time I let off at 90 mpg. That's the only real world comparison I've been able to make.
Sorry, I didn’t mean just losing in 0-60 times. Overall reviews it seemed to always be at the back of the pack.

Here’s one.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...mparison-test/
Old 09-06-2019, 09:48 AM   #14
LT4Greg

You would be okay with the wife LTO. A ZL1 would be a nice upgrade over the SS and I think you would enjoy it more but I understand your dilemma!