Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #15
LimaTangoOne

Drives: '16 2SS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalel View Post
Sorry, I didn’t mean just losing in 0-60 times. Overall reviews it seemed to always be at the back of the pack.

Here’s one.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...mparison-test/

Yep. That article echoes most of my sentiments and reasoning behind going with an SS:

"There’s no denying it has the power. In acceleration tests, the Cadillac passed 60 mph in 3.9 seconds and went through the quarter in 12.2 seconds at 117 mph. It’s a snap to launch, too. Simply put your left foot on the brake and your right on the accelerator, raise the revs to 2000 rpm, and release the brake. No need for launch control here.

Where the six falls short is in the experi*ential details. At wide-open throttle, there are 83 decibels’ worth of gritty moan. If the ATS-V is the only car you drive, the sound isn’t that offensive, but next to the enchanting Mercedes V-8 that also powers AMG’s GT S or the thundering Alfa V-6 derived from a Ferrari engine, it’s apparent that this engine has humble roots. In another life without turbos, the ATS-V’s six might have lived out its days in a Chevy Colorado. Even though it’s not quite as powerful as the ATS-V’s 3.6, we’d love to see how the Camaro’s 455-hp 6.2-liter small-block V-8 would act in the ATS-V. We’d guess it’d work the same magic in the Cadillac as it does in the Camaro SS."

I do think the interior is a bit nicer than these writers seem to think.
LimaTangoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:00 AM   #16
Cannon Green

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
ATS-V is classy and very fast..
Cannon Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:12 AM   #17
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Do you need a 4 door car? Do you have another 4 door car? I would start there. Forget about the back seats in the Camaro - those are not for people as much as luggage for a weekend road trip - especially in a Vert since the trunk is limited space in the configuration for the top to go down.

Personally I love my 2016 SS manual vert - it is a 1SS too and I prefer the cloth seats in a convertible and I don't miss the 2SS features. I don't view even the ATS as a "luxury" car on par with the best from Germany - my luxury sports car is a Porsche Panamera S and prior to that had M5 and a S4.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:36 AM   #18
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaTangoOne View Post
Oh I would kill for that, but one of my goals here is to go down in cost. If I went with a ZL1, I'd not only have to pay for that but also the resulting divorce.

A 2016 2SS M6 vert is a helluva lotta car for the $. No A8 issues, plenty of fun, and the all important drop top.

Years ago I bought a used Genesis v8 luxobarge for DD and it still suits me fine: less $ than a ATSV/CTSV, S-class features, and she gets up and goes in DD commuter traffic whenever I need.

When I want to play on weekends I hop in The Mistress (ZL1 Vert). Yeah she is +200hp and recaros, but you get all the luxury with the 2SS and you still have 455hp which is plenty for the street (and a bit better gas mileage than the Z) and run flats for commuting. Trust me, by the time I can get my right foot all the way to the floor, more often than not I'm already at arrestable speeds and have to back off.

If I could have only one car and was budget constrained, I might very well go with a used 2SS M6 Vert. Maybe a lower miles 2017 so it still has a bit of BTB warranty left and avoids some of the 1st year risks with the tops on the '16 verts ... but that too is a manageable budget decision.

Things I really like about the Z/2SS feature set in the Camaro Vert are: 1) tilted display (no glare!) 2) low center vents, 3) the HUD!, and 4) the ventilated seats. Even with never ending 90F+/90RH+ weather, I rarely need the AC on when top down. The ventilation keeping the swass and swack to a minimum.

I don't envy your decision!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:36 PM   #19
LimaTangoOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
Do you need a 4 door car? Do you have another 4 door car? I would start there. Forget about the back seats in the Camaro - those are not for people as much as luggage for a weekend road trip - especially in a Vert since the trunk is limited space in the configuration for the top to go down.

Personally I love my 2016 SS manual vert - it is a 1SS too and I prefer the cloth seats in a convertible and I don't miss the 2SS features. I don't view even the ATS as a "luxury" car on par with the best from Germany - my luxury sports car is a Porsche Panamera S and prior to that had M5 and a S4.
I have an f150 super crew for when I need 4 doors. With the SS, I'll mostly just need to have my little one in a booster seat on the way to and from her school. We tested a coupe with her in it with no problem, so I'm hoping the slightly tighter space in the vert won't be a problem.

I didn't think about having leather with the top down, especially with it being 95+ degrees out.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:53 PM   #20
c4racer

Quote:
I have an f150 super crew for when I need 4 doors. With the SS, I'll mostly just need to have my little one in a booster seat on the way to and from her school. We tested a coupe with her in it with no problem, so I'm hoping the slightly tighter space in the vert won't be a problem.

I didn't think about having leather with the top down, especially with it being 95+ degrees out.
ya - cloth works pretty well in that situation for me. I've had mine 3 years and logged 12K miles and I would say 80% of that is top down.

Get the wind screen for sure. With that and windows up you can go on a 3 hour drive at 75 with the top down and arrive in good spirits!

Convertible makes it easier to load a kid if you leave the top down - but windscreen out for that use case. Back in for weekend jaunts for 1-2.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:03 PM   #21
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:

I don't think the interior space in the convertible is any different than the coupe. Easy to put a car seat in the back for my granddaughter with the top down. The rear facing seat means the co-pilot needs to be pretty small and pull the right seat up a bit. Not so bad with front facing kid seats.

Name:  20190709_092748.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  213.4 KB

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #22
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Drives: Camaro
One is Luxury...one is just bad aSS. If luxury is more important than just comfort and bad aSS then you have your answer.

Last edited by Mighty Mouce; 09-06-2019 at 02:55 PM. Reason: j
Mighty Mouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #23
LimaTangoOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
I don't think the interior space in the convertible is any different than the coupe. Easy to put a car seat in the back for my granddaughter with the top down. The rear facing seat means the co-pilot needs to be pretty small and pull the right seat up a bit. Not so bad with front facing kid seats.

Attachment 1002910

Beautiful kid!

When I was studying pics, it looked as though the convertible loses a tiny bit of elbow room on the outside in the rear seats, but I think I'll be ok with the booster seat, as it's fairly narrow.

This forum is great! It's almost like getting a valuable option with the car.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:45 PM   #24
Rhox

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 50th Anniversary
Quote:
Beautiful kid!

When I was studying pics, it looked as though the convertible loses a tiny bit of elbow room on the outside in the rear seats, but I think I'll be ok with the booster seat, as it's fairly narrow.

This forum is great! It's almost like getting a valuable option with the car.

This forum is an amazing resource

Regarding your decision - I was torn between the ATS-V and SS as well. Both are great cars, and both have pros and cons. I would not try to sway you from either, but my question is...before you go to sleep, what car do you envision in your driveway?

sleep on it
Old 09-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #25
LimaTangoOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhox View Post
This forum is an amazing resource

Regarding your decision - I was torn between the ATS-V and SS as well. Both are great cars, and both have pros and cons. I would not try to sway you from either, but my question is...before you go to sleep, what car do you envision in your driveway?

sleep on it

Well, like I said, I was looking for SSs when I bought the V. Man, I'm getting so excited. This time tomorrow, unless this dealer screws things up, I'll be riding around in my new (to me) 2SS!!
Old 09-06-2019, 08:04 PM   #26
kalel

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Well, like I said, I was looking for SSs when I bought the V. Man, I'm getting so excited. This time tomorrow, unless this dealer screws things up, I'll be riding around in my new (to me) 2SS!!
Post pics!
Old 09-06-2019, 10:54 PM   #27
c4racer

ya - that's a no brainer with the F150 to cover your 4 door and utility needs.

I have a 4 door Colorado myself. And I really don't need a sedan but I have one plus the Camaro actually plus 2 Camaro's
Old 09-07-2019, 01:53 AM   #28
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
I had a CTS4 2.0 turbo. It had a host of issues to the point I'd never buy a Cadillac again. I realize they're both GM but I've only had great luck with every Chevy I've owned.

Google "Cadillac Cue Delamination". It happened to me and a guy at work with an ATS. I find it inexcusable that I purchased a "premium" car and I was looking up YouTube videos on how to change a screen because I was out of warranty and didn't want to bite a $2000 fix that is very common across all Caddy's.

As far as luxury, my SS actually rides better than the CTS did and I think the seats are a bit more comfortable too.