Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 06-22-2013, 01:21 AM   #1
Eleven
Out-Shocker/In-Minivan!

Drives: 1LE
1LE Front rock guards

So I posted a few pictures of my car and got a ton of questions about my front rock guards.

They were made from highland mud guards from Advance Auto parts.

The cardboard was used as a template and with a little trial and error they were fitted to the car. You will have to figure out where to drill the holes, cause they will affect how far out you want your guards to stick out.

I have Attached a pdf scan of the cardboard template that was made to test the fit.

Factory mounting hardware was used and instead of drilling any more holes in the body and 3M VHB double sided tape was used to further secure the tops of the rock guards. I also used the full length of the mud guards, they go pretty low, but take care of stuff hitting the bottom of the car also. Area was cleaned with alcohol to make sure the 3M VHB would stick and it was applied in above 70 degree temp and given 24 hrs to cure before being driven. Basically 3M VHB was applied liberally on the outside of the rock guard. We had to also make sure that the rock guard was out far enough on the top to get the best protection. My dad said that the car looked like dumbo, but ill take that over sandblasting my gills.

The results speak for themselves. I hear rocks pinging off the rock guards and not off my lower painted surfaces. On the way home from the dealer I got one good chip on my passenger gill. Since I have put these on I haven't noticed any new chips on my gills.

As I said to the dealer after I bought the car, these tires pick up everything except women. He laughed as I asked for factory touch up paint.

Good luck to all who attempt this and I assume no responsibility for any damage you do to your car yada yada yada...

On to the pictures

Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1LE Rock Guard Flaps.pdf (15.0 KB, 280 views)
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
dare8601

Drives: 2013 1LE
I bet I won't take four hours to install them like the Dealership did on mine yesterday....I do like those you have made...
dare8601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
Big C CamaroSS

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Hey thanks eleven . Looking for mud guards is now on my Saturday to do list. I see some being sold on Ebay for a decently fair price and there are the ones Showstopper offers.....but I'm just not digging either one Your DO look nice
Big C CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
Eleven
Out-Shocker/In-Minivan!

Thanks, and a grand total of $8.64 iirc!!!

I couldn't justify spending $$$ on something that could be made for under $15 and about 1hr of time. Plus the fact that all the other ones I have seen want you to drill near the top of the flap. That part of the fender is very slim so I could see it breaking really soon if I drilled it.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Thanks, and a grand total of $8.64 iirc!!!

I couldn't justify spending $$$ on something that could be made for under $15 and about 1hr of time. Plus the fact that all the other ones I have seen want you to drill near the top of the flap. That part of the fender is very slim so I could see it breaking really soon if I drilled it.
On the DIY, they used speed clips at the top to keep the top part of the guard mounted tight, no drilling involved.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:52 AM   #6
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C CamaroSS View Post
Hey thanks eleven . Looking for mud guards is now on my Saturday to do list. I see some being sold on Ebay for a decently fair price and there are the ones Showstopper offers.....but I'm just not digging either one Your DO look nice

I have front and rear ones from show stopper. heres how they look
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
kemiek

Drives: Camaro SS Ss1 1LE RS
How did you attach the rear rock guards? I ordered the ones off of ebay but can not figure out how to do the rear ones.
kemiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiek View Post
How did you attach the rear rock guards? I ordered the ones off of ebay but can not figure out how to do the rear ones.
Very carefully
Old 06-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
suzook

Drives: camaro
To the OP...do you have the part #??? Thanks
Old 06-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hworth18 View Post
On the DIY, they used speed clips at the top to keep the top part of the guard mounted tight, no drilling involved.
I have RPI Designs Stealth Guards on the front that are clipped and little stones eventually get caught and build up between the unsupported section and fender causing a gap. I haven't done it yet but think double sided tape would be better.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
Cleancoupe

Drives: 18 ZL1 1LE
Here's a pic of the ones I made for the front. Used the factory two holes on the bottom & 3 black clips along the fender. I put black electric tape along the rim on the fender to prevent the plastic from rubbing on the paint. [IMG][/IMG]
Cleancoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
cbass

Drives: .
Thank you for posting the template. I wish more people did the same.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #13
Eleven
Out-Shocker/In-Minivan!

The SKU# is on the picture of my first post. I got them at advance auto parts.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #14
Eleven
Out-Shocker/In-Minivan!

cbass your welcome!