Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-10-2017, 08:25 AM   #29
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
I will not buy another GM vehicle without MRC.

It's not that it's softer/more comfortable on the road vs standard shocks. It's the confidence felt over rough patches, and the lack of body roll on quick maneuvers (swerve around an errant garbage can by the curb) that I notice the biggest difference. In track mode it is stiff and responsive, not ruffled by curbs and the like. For a daily driver with occasional track use, it is the ideal blend of comfort and performance at the push of a button.

As for durability, my CTS-V is 6 years old. I had the front passenger side shock replaced under warranty at 600 miles for a small leak. Since then, no problems.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:34 AM   #30
brihorse
Detroit Muscle

Drives: 68 C10 Stepside,87 Grand Natl
I don't have it so I don't miss it. I don't notice the ride being harsh in my SS even with it being on lowering springs. I also had no intention of getting a convertible until I test drove 3 or 4 different 5th gens for a week at a time through work and they were all convertibles. After that I was hooked. I couldn't pass up the killer deal on my car, the rims would have been too expensive to purchase from the dealership if they weren't already on the window sticker.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:41 AM   #31
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
do i really need real maple syrup, or USDA Prime cuts of beef...???

HELL YES I DO!!!
Old 08-10-2017, 09:17 AM   #32
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
Lets not forget the one thing no one likes to here about. When these shocks fail they are like $800 a piece to replace. Some guys on the Gen5 site who had the ZL1's, had theirs fail in some cases at 40k miles or so. They began to leak fluid.
No they're not. They're $384 each. Price has come down a lot.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:21 AM   #33
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
Lets not forget the one thing no one likes to here about. When these shocks fail they are like $800 a piece to replace. Some guys on the Gen5 site who had the ZL1's, had theirs fail in some cases at 40k miles or so. They began to leak fluid.
For f*cks sake no they are not $800 a piece. Stop posting this drivel, or at least do a minimal amount of research before spouting off. Jesus.

You can get them for around $325 / each. And the first generation were prone to leak, the current gen have not shown any tendencies.

To the OP: I had it in my C7, and now in my 50th 2SS Convertible. I drive in New England where we have tons of sh*tty roads, and it's great. Completely worth the money.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:27 AM   #34
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankaholic View Post
The only downside to MRC is that you're stuck with stock damping and more-or-less stock spring rates, a bit of an issue if you want to lower the car and retain it's track performance. Not having MRC allows you to splurge on a set of custom valved/sprung coilovers. If you're not going to do that, go for MRC - tour mode is supple and track mode is properly good for back roads and occasional track days.
Eibach springs are great for Mag ride and have a 1.5 drop front and rear. People love them I'm getting a set.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #35
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Personally, it was a must have. I've done a 4,150 mile and a 2,200 mile road trip with my car and it is pleasure to set in touring mode and relax.

I also track my car a fair bit. I find the MRC, in Track Mode, to be very good. Minimal body roll and a very good "seat of the pants" feeling for when the car is going to let go.
Attached Images

Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:03 AM   #36
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
I was also on the fence. Drove both. If I could have found the car optioned with it, at the right price, I would have done it. But it wasn't a "must have" for me personally, and the car I found at the price point and options I did have on my "must have" list didn't have it. To me, it was on the "nice to have" option list and I have no regrets. The technology is great though, so I would have no concerns with reliability for the system.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #37
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Drove a Camaro in NYC without mag ride and think without it wouldn't be a doable thing for me at least on these pothole filled roads i live near. I don't think i ever took it off tour mode since i tried it in sport and track LOL. Put me back in Florida where the roads are smooth 90% of the time, then maybe i would have considered to not get the mag suspension.
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:28 AM   #38
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLA BEE View Post
Eibach springs are great for Mag ride and have a 1.5 drop front and rear. People love them I'm getting a set.
I have a set of Eibach springs, love them. They are a street spring though - progressive rates meant more for retaining a good ride/handling balance vs all out performance. Also there's only so much companies can do without re-calibrating MRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keon718nyc View Post
Drove a Camaro in NYC without mag ride and think without it wouldn't be a doable thing for me at least on these pothole filled roads i live near. I don't think i ever took it off tour mode since i tried it in sport and track LOL. Put me back in Florida where the roads are smooth 90% of the time, then maybe i would have considered to not get the mag suspension.

^This... I go into tour mode and have a permanent cringe face when I drive in NYC. All other sports cars without adjustable suspensions that I've driven were much worse though...
Old 08-10-2017, 11:53 AM   #39
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
Quote:
The only downside to MRC is that you're stuck with stock damping and more-or-less stock spring rates, a bit of an issue if you want to lower the car and retain it's track performance. Not having MRC allows you to splurge on a set of custom valved/sprung coilovers. If you're not going to do that, go for MRC - tour mode is supple and track mode is properly good for back roads and occasional track days.
Actually, the basis of the MRC is the fact that the dampening is being continuously changed many times a second depending on the setting and feedback from the road.

I don't see how a coilovers are going to give you the variable dampening range that the MRC system does. And if you really want to go whole hog, there is a new controller on the market for our MRC systems that actively adjusts each shock depending on how you set up the responses regarding G-force, acceleration, braking, speed, etc. 95% of the folks won't want to spend the money for this new controller for a MRC upgrade, but if you do, it's out there.

Edit: I see I just echoed Ryephile's post. My bad.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #40
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Yes in Michigan with our cratered roads......

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:33 PM   #41
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
I have a set of Eibach springs, love them. They are a street spring though - progressive rates meant more for retaining a good ride/handling balance vs all out performance. Also there's only so much companies can do without re-calibrating MRC.

^This... I go into tour mode and have a permanent cringe face when I drive in NYC. All other sports cars without adjustable suspensions that I've driven were much worse though...
I cant wait to get mine bro. the 1.5 drop is awesome.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:55 PM   #42
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Ed View Post
Actually, the basis of the MRC is the fact that the dampening is being continuously changed many times a second depending on the setting and feedback from the road.

I don't see how a coilovers are going to give you the variable dampening range that the MRC system does. And if you really want to go whole hog, there is a new controller on the market for our MRC systems that actively adjusts each shock depending on how you set up the responses regarding G-force, acceleration, braking, speed, etc. 95% of the folks won't want to spend the money for this new controller for a MRC upgrade, but if you do, it's out there.

Edit: I see I just echoed Ryephile's post. My bad.

I think that MRC is superior to standard shock tech! I don't see how it can be argued. The range of instant adjustability is unbeatable. However, stock shocks for our cars are steel and the valving could probably be improved on as well; an expensive set of coilovers will have forged aluminum bodies and more intricate valving. When upgraded plug-and-play shocks are available on the aftermarket, along with people who have real experience tuning these things via the DSC controller, there won't be a single argument for traditional coilovers

Edit: the ZL1 1LE loses like 60-80lbs just from going to forged aluminum shocks! That's not peanuts for a mostly unsprung component.