Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-04-2018, 07:37 PM   #1
rburke76

Drives: garnet red
chevelle or camaro?

chevelle or camaro

don't get me wrong, I love the Camaro. I own one. 2017 Turbo 4...runs great, love it...I was more of a chevelle, el camino, and monte carlo guy growing up though...But you know, challenger gets it right. the challenger seats 4 comfortably on that 116 inch wheelbase. And it looks like classic muscle...the Camaro seems to always want to be in competition with the mustang. Its almost like the mustang and Camaro are trying to "out do" each other. where the challenger "is what it is" take it or leave it...and it works for them...How can the montecarlo (2003) I owned and the new impala both sit on 110.7 inch wheelbases like the Camaro and sit four people comfortably and the Camaro can't...I don't have any visibility problems with the Camaro but a lot of people do. if dodge can get vin diesel for a commercial cant chevy get michelle Rodriquez or even jeff Gordon or dale Earnhardt for a 30 second commercial? cant chevy bring out a base V8 for $29,995?...why not bring back the chevelle, put it on a 112 or 113 inch wheelbase, seat 4 comfortably, base V8 for $29,995 and sell like crazy. I love the Camaro but the number one complaint I get where I live is that in the Camaro I cant take my parents and wife out to dinner in the car. I cant get 3 other friends in the Camaro and spend all day at the beach...that would better sell the car as well...unless they are making serious profit on the Camaro that we don't know about, there won't be a 7th generation....
rburke76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:58 PM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I really dont care what they choose to call it if its what I like. This car is a major fail in the back seat department for sure. Might as well get a Vette unless you just plain like the looks better.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:14 PM   #3
Rayfield

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Camaro was a good fit for me; the Corvette was twice the cost for slightly more performance, and much higher insurance premiums. The back seats are indeed small, but my family is on the short side, and we actually can all fit in there for brief hops.

The Challenger is a great car for somebody, no criticism, but it weighs more than I prefer for my enthusiast car. The SS is at the upper limit, actually.

A reborn Chevelle? That didn't weigh 4200lbs? I would have had a look, for sure. My dream car in high school was a 70 Chevelle SS..3200 lbs with a big block. But it doesn't currently exist.
Rayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #4
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
For years I was hoping Dodge would make a new Challenger convertible. I like the fact that the rear seats are usable, and there is actual trunk space. I've seen a few aftermarket Challenger convertible conversions and love the look, but couldn't see spending an additional $18 to $20k to get one made. I really wanted a convertible, and love my V6 2LT RS, but a Challenger would have been my first choice if they made one, regardless of the Camaro's better acceleration and handling.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #5
17rsvert

Didn't Chevy attempt to 'bring back' the Chevelle with the SS? I'm refering to the car model, not a performance package. Never drove one, but the reviews as a performance car were great. I think it's ultimate downfall was it's generic, blah, boring, mid-sized 4 door looks. Chevy missed the chance to design the sheet metal with some appearance similarities to the late 60's early 70's Chevelles. Just look at the success of the new 'retro' Challengers, Mustangs, and Camaros.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:56 PM   #6
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
Didn't Chevy attempt to 'bring back' the Chevelle with the SS? I'm refering to the car model, not a performance package. Never drove one, but the reviews as a performance car were great. I think it's ultimate downfall was it's generic, blah, boring, mid-sized 4 door looks. Chevy missed the chance to design the sheet metal with some appearance similarities to the late 60's early 70's Chevelles. Just look at the success of the new 'retro' Challengers, Mustangs, and Camaros.
No, Chevy brought the SS over to boost Holden production. That’s why the styling didn’t change and there were few options. It was never intended to be a long term product.

The Chevelle would never work. It would be a bigger, heavier and more expensive Camaro.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:03 PM   #7
17rsvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The Chevelle would never work. It would be a bigger, heavier and more expensive Camaro.
In other words, a Challenger....
Old 04-04-2018, 09:04 PM   #8
outobie

Drives: 2017 2LT RS Convertible
The camaro fits my needs perfectly.

I really wanted a 2 seater but needed the back seat for the occasional times I need to pack the kids in it like when the SUV is in for service. I’ve had the wife and small kids in it a few times and while not an everyday solution it’s totally tolerable for those rare occasions. When I need it.

The main features that made me go camaro were great handling convertible with a back seat and good gas mileage... nothing else came close

Only other cars on my short list were the bmw 2 series and a mustang. Camaro looks better handles better and gets better gas mileage and cost less than both...

I seem to be in the minority on this forum but handling and fuel mileage are way more important than a big motor. I would have liked to have had an all wheel drive option and the higher spec suspension option on the 2.0T motor.
outobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:40 PM   #9
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
you mean kind of like a 5th gen camaro only renamed chevelle? i drove a 1966 pontiac tempest for 25 years and my 5th gen RS reminds me so much of that car its crazy.same view looking over the hood,same weight,but does everything so much better and quieter.my wife and son can ride with me.shes 5 ft 2 and sits in front with passenger seat up and he rides in back(6 footer)no complaints about room either.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:56 AM   #10
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
No, Chevy brought the SS over to boost Holden production. That’s why the styling didn’t change and there were few options. It was never intended to be a long term product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
In other words, a Challenger....

I think what Bhobbs was going with, is that the two of them in the same showroom would be a disaster. They would steal sales from each other. Also would there be enough to separate them besides size. You know they would share engines, transmissions etc.

The only way IMO the Chevelle could ever come back is in one of these two scenarios.

They decide to make it a 4 door and chase Charger sales.

The Camaro gets significantly smaller and lighter like BRZ size
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:55 AM   #11
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I think what Bhobbs was going with, is that the two of them in the same showroom would be a disaster. They would steal sales from each other. Also would there be enough to separate them besides size. You know they would share engines, transmissions etc.

The only way IMO the Chevelle could ever come back is in one of these two scenarios.

They decide to make it a 4 door and chase Charger sales.

The Camaro gets significantly smaller and lighter like BRZ size
That’s what I was trying to say. A Chevelle would just steal sales from the Camaro. I’m a Chevelle guy more than a Camaro guy. If they brought back the Chevelle, I’d be all over it.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:02 PM   #12
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
I didn't buy mine for the back seat, even though I have had people back there on a long day trip. They were fine, but they wern't big either. Plus lots of room to put stuff back there like luggage groceries etc. A vette has no where near the space.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #13
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburke76 View Post
chevelle or camaro

don't get me wrong, I love the Camaro. I own one. 2017 Turbo 4...runs great, love it...I was more of a chevelle, el camino, and monte carlo guy growing up though...But you know, challenger gets it right. the challenger seats 4 comfortably on that 116 inch wheelbase. And it looks like classic muscle...the Camaro seems to always want to be in competition with the mustang. Its almost like the mustang and Camaro are trying to "out do" each other. where the challenger "is what it is" take it or leave it...and it works for them...How can the montecarlo (2003) I owned and the new impala both sit on 110.7 inch wheelbases like the Camaro and sit four people comfortably and the Camaro can't...I don't have any visibility problems with the Camaro but a lot of people do. if dodge can get vin diesel for a commercial cant chevy get michelle Rodriquez or even jeff Gordon or dale Earnhardt for a 30 second commercial? cant chevy bring out a base V8 for $29,995?...why not bring back the chevelle, put it on a 112 or 113 inch wheelbase, seat 4 comfortably, base V8 for $29,995 and sell like crazy. I love the Camaro but the number one complaint I get where I live is that in the Camaro I cant take my parents and wife out to dinner in the car. I cant get 3 other friends in the Camaro and spend all day at the beach...that would better sell the car as well...unless they are making serious profit on the Camaro that we don't know about, there won't be a 7th generation....

I was highly into Chevelles also. I would like to see them bring it back as a 2 door retro like the 66-73 stying. . They could use the Gen5 Camaro platform.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:59 PM   #14
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Wish they made this car. Best looking cars GM ever designed in modern times. Wow!

Last edited by motorhead; 07-24-2018 at 11:41 PM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote