Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-15-2016, 11:46 AM   #15
Nesfes
VSIX 1LE

Drives: 2013 Camaro V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitrim View Post
On the V-6 do they have little stubby steel tubing cast in the exhaust ports so you can not run any aftermarket headers?

When you rebuilt your engine did you just rebuild it to factory spec or mod it?

What engine mods did you do?
So the LFX has a featured referred to as an integrated exhaust manifold, that means the exhaust manifold (or header) is built into the cylinder head in the interest of conserving weight, this is not to prevent modifications. I assure you Chevrolet doesn't care if you modify their cars, it just means there is less for them to cover in their warranty. The LFX has an even firing order, so the exhaust pulses do not fight each other in expansion like they do in a traditional V8 motor, the V6 fires like a flat-plane crankshaft V8, which made the design of this manifold an easy decision!

I rebuilt my motor to factory specifications, the modifications I wanted either didn't exist or were too expensive.

I've done the generic bolt-on crap that you can get at any website, I've cammed an LS3, and have done various modifications to other motors here and there.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:49 AM   #16
Nesfes
VSIX 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Cool. What motor are you looking at?
I haven't decided yet but I like the idea of a big cube LS3, now if I had infinite money I would be building a very very different motor, but on my college-student budget I am probably going to go the big cube LS route!
Old 02-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #17
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
It would appear it's some kind of "tribute" car. So yes, made up.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/Jp91O/
Thanks. Kinda figured as much .
Old 02-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #18
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
How long did this whole process take you?
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #19
High Magnitude

Drives: 2014 2LT Camaro
Are there any ways you know of to increase the MPG of the LFX? Or is there anything you recommend doing to the engine?
Old 02-15-2016, 03:22 PM   #20
Nesfes
VSIX 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
How long did this whole process take you?
Well it depends, once you learn how to effectively work on the car the actual repair does not take a long time. Initially it was step-by-step using the GM repair manual and lots of advice from a few friendly mechanics!

Now it has gotten to the point to where it is completely dependent on the shipping speed of replacement parts. For example, I had to make another small repair in the transmission this winter, so I removed the transmission and had it completely disassembled in an afternoon, ordered my parts, and had the car running within a few hours of having received the replacement parts!
Old 02-15-2016, 03:28 PM   #21
Nesfes
VSIX 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Magnitude View Post
Are there any ways you know of to increase the MPG of the LFX? Or is there anything you recommend doing to the engine?
Great question! Absolutely! There are several approaches that can be taken to achieve this goal:

1) Leave the car completely stock and drive conservatively!
- Leaving the car stock gives all of the sensors and computers the conditions they were designed to work with, given these conditions the car's Engine Control Module will adjust valve and ignition timing according to how you drive, so if the ECM's tables reflect limited throttle use and conservative driving then the car will adjust its engine tune accordingly! Many people don't realize this and want to do all kinds of modifications to the vehicle, when in reality the stock motor is very capable and can even adjust up to +/- 2º of timing!

2) You always have the option to modify the car and tune for fuel economy, what you might do is install a cold-air intake, fuel economy tires, and maybe even a catch can; then bring the car to a reputable tuner who has experience working with VVT and SIDI motors for a fuel economy tune!

Tags
camaro, camaro v6, lfx, llt, rebuild