Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-27-2018, 12:03 PM   #1
BreakingBad
MAGA

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Traded my '15 SS in for a '17 SS, OH dealer, PA resident - Need Help!

So here's my situation. I spent the better part of a week working with a used car salesman out in Ohio. I am from PA. I was looking to trade my '15 SS on a '17 SS. After a week of getting details on car condition and features, I opted to make the 3+ hr trek and most likely buy.

Everything went smooth, however, here is the 'situation' and I am not really sure what I need to do here so those of you familiar with title transfers or buying cars in OH or PA may know more on the topic.

I had a personalized plate on my '15. I also bought the '15 in Ohio, however they issued me a temporary plate (the paper tags) and eventually they figured out taxes and everything and a few weeks later I received a PA plate in the mail with registration included. The dealer did it for me.

This dealer, however, lost their finance manager. A new finance manager came in the same day as I purchased the car. The way he explained it was, I was 'legally' able to drive the vehicle with my old plate (the PA personalized plate) until they send me the title at which point I take to DMV or a triple A center to have the title converted from Ohio to PA. Once that is done, register the car. DMV/AAA will forward title to bank, and I get a copy for documentation purposes or something.

So.. PA has inspection and emissions requirements. I cannot get the car inspected until I register the car, and I cannot register the car without the title. I spoke with the salesman today but he is suddenly very slow to get back to me. I am worried that (worst case) this could eventually roll into possible auto fraud if this dealer doesn't have the title and plays games. So far they have been really nice, up front and timely in their responses.

So here are my questions.

What do I need to *legally* drive my car in PA? From what I read online you generally have that 'window' to get everything squared away when you have paper tags, however this dealer threw on my personalized plate which is tied to the '15 Camaro I traded, not the new one. Salesman initially said it could 'take a few weeks' to figure out the title and get it out to me, but I spoke with a cop who happened to be in my neighborhood and he said without temp tags technically my car is not street legal. He said if they run my plate it'll come back as a different car and they'd pull me over.

Can someone tell me where I need to begin with this dealer or what route I should take? Should they send me temp tags overnight or something?
“Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons.” - Ron Paul
BreakingBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Call your DMV to find out the process.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:17 PM   #3
BreakingBad
MAGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoss View Post
Call your DMV to find out the process.
Already planned on it, but while I am tied up on the phone at work I figured I'd ask the crowd here first.
“Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons.” - Ron Paul
Old 06-27-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
You can not drive the 2017 Camaro with the PA plate from your 2015 Camaro without a transfer through a notary that does title work with the state. Often called the “pink slip” in PA since the owner gets the pink copy, it is a MV-1 or MV-4 form depending on type of transfer.

You should have been issued a 20 day “paper tag” from the Ohio dealer to take the car back into PA.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #5
BreakingBad
MAGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
You can not drive the 2017 Camaro with the PA plate from your 2015 Camaro without a transfer through a notary that does title work with the state. Often called the “pink slip” in PA since the owner gets the pink copy, it is a MV-1 or MV-4 form depending on type of transfer.
Yeah this is what the finance manager explained, however he said this could take some time (a few weeks) - I should be able to legally drive it with temp tags, so I assume that is what I need the dealer to send me? I'm waiting on the DMV now.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:30 PM   #6
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

I edited mine to add the paper tag sentence. Putting the old plate on the new car without a MV-1 or MV-4 is considered an illegal transfer in the Commonwealth and could get the car towed depending on the officer.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:44 PM   #7
BreakingBad
MAGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
I edited mine to add the paper tag sentence. Putting the old plate on the new car without a MV-1 or MV-4 is considered an illegal transfer in the Commonwealth and could get the car towed depending on the officer.
Spoke with DMV and Receptionist @ dealer who spoke with GM. GM is working with the title girls in the office and they are going to call me back today or tomorrow morning with how they are going to handle it - either get me the title or temp tags ASAP.

Cross your fingers the police don't pull me over until then
Old 06-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #8
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
in OK, you have normally 21 days on the paper tag. but our DMV is sometimes slow to get registration papers thru snail mail and you have to "ride" it out! Cops wouldn't bother you for months. I know, because I have known several people that had expired paper tags for weeks and never got hassled.

Dealer can also make a new paper plate if needed.
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:52 PM   #9
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
The other thing that occurred to me is your personalized plate. Is the personal plate from same state as you will register the car? if not, your plate may be in use in that state by someone else!
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:47 PM   #10
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
If I had to drive the car, I would drive it with no plate on it before I drove it with the wrong plate on it. If they think it's stolen you may be getting out of the car at gun point.

If I drove it without a plate I would have the bill of sale on me. I would just explain to the officer that I'm waiting on my paper plate (or plate transfer) to be sent to me.
Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:38 PM   #11
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad View Post
Spoke with DMV and Receptionist @ dealer who spoke with GM. GM is working with the title girls in the office and they are going to call me back today or tomorrow morning with how they are going to handle it - either get me the title or temp tags ASAP.

Cross your fingers the police don't pull me over until then
I wouldn’t leave the lot without an out of state transit (paper) plate on the car. There is no reason they can’t issue a temp while the title clears. That’s what the temp tag is for. Shady.

And for reference I was head of the traffic division for the PD of the 3rd largest city in PA. You can not just put your old plate on without a transfer.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:17 PM   #12
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
They need to get you some temp tags while they figure everything out. Just because they were having a tough time with replacing a finance person doesn't mean that it should be your headache. Until they can get you a title they need to get you legal until you can have your plates transferred to the new car.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:50 PM   #13
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad View Post
.. I received a PA plate in the mail with registration included. The dealer did it for me....
This is an odd reading comprehension test. I was also going to have a different answer based on the majority of the text until I went back and re-read it a few times.
If a rooster laid an egg on the south side of a roof with the wind blowing north what side of the house would the egg fall off the roof on. Is it legal for the egg to fall there....
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:34 PM   #14
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
Ive bought many cars out of state and never had this issue. Just send the paper plate for State I bought it
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote