Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-25-2020, 11:04 PM   #1
Conner0388

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 2SS
What should I do about my exhaust?

Hi, I’ve been wondering what I should do about my exhaust. I have a 2014 Camaro lt Rs with the dual mode exhaust. I was wondering if I should do an x-pipe with a resonator delete and leave the muffler alone. I’m not sure how good it would sound. I’m trying to make my v6 sound a little deeper and louder when I rev it.
Conner0388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:47 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Not sure if you can make it much louder without removing the mufflers unless you want to replace the down-pipes with cat-less ones, although this may increase the pitch rather than deepening it. Deleting the resonators might make it a bit louder but again may also heighten the pitch rather than making it deeper.

I have the full Solo Performance exhaust (down-pipes and cat-back) and I like it; the cat-back added a fair bit of volume and has minimal if any drone. When I added the down-pipes I didn't notice much increase in volume except on a cold start.

Before going Solo I had a custom exhaust with a "resonated x-pipe" (muffler with an internal x-pipe) and then 2.5" pipe back - no resonators or mufflers - and it was pretty loud but a bit raspy/high-pitch, and had a fair bit of drone; the Solo cat-back is similar (single muffler where the h-pipe/x-pipe goes - not sure what's inside the muffler) but is 2.25" pipe and has resonators where the mufflers went - not quite as loud but a bit cleaner and slightly deeper sounding.

If you do get rid of the mufflers, two others I like (based on videos - never heard them in person) are the MRT ones (V1 and V2 - think I like V2 better) and Flowmaster. There's also this exhaust which sounds pretty damn good if you ask me; according to the comments he did 3" pipe, x-pipe, no resonators, Jones Full Boar Racing mufflers.

Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:57 AM   #3
birthdayevent

Drives: model
re

Best exhaust upgrade is a good turbo with a muffler. When I was in my 20s, I ran open headers and sometimes with glass packs but now I like power without the noise.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:39 AM   #4
67-LS1

Drives: 1966 Chevelle
I have an LFX in my 66 Chevelle and have tried a few mufflers trying to lower the tone. The best so far are Dynomax long case turbo mufflers. I’m not sure how they would package in a Camaro but they sound better than the Flowmaster 50 series and Walker Quiet Flow lll I had before.
It’s pretty common knowledge that X pipes are slightly raspier than H pipes.
Another rasp issue is long sections of pipe (5’+) without any suppressive device. From the down pipes to the mufflers on my car is almost 6’ so I’m in the process of adding Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonators hoping this will lower the tone even more.
Old 02-12-2022, 11:43 PM   #5
67-LS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthdayevent View Post
Best exhaust upgrade is a good turbo with a muffler. When I was in my 20s, I ran open headers and sometimes with glass packs but now I like power without the noise.
Power without noise! Exactly what I’m looking for.
Old 02-18-2022, 03:31 PM   #6
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Honest opinion? Don't touch it.
American V6 motors never rumble and have horrendous sound without those J piped mufflers. You just get really awful fart can Honda noise.

I wish i had the NPP on my LS since its the best option imho.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 03:58 PM   #7
cooperc

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS
Everything I did with the stock mufflers always came out sounding pretty bad in my opinion, although I never did what you have, I would recommend getting an aftermarket muffler if you're going to do anything with your exhaust. watch lots of videos and do your research for the right one. but if you're really wanting to keep the stock mufflers I wouldn't touch it to be honest.
cooperc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:47 PM   #8
steakmaker

Drives: '10 Camaro SS,Jeep Commander Hemi
exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Not sure if you can make it much louder without removing the mufflers unless you want to replace the down-pipes with cat-less ones, although this may increase the pitch rather than deepening it. Deleting the resonators might make it a bit louder but again may also heighten the pitch rather than making it deeper.

I have the full Solo Performance exhaust (down-pipes and cat-back) and I like it; the cat-back added a fair bit of volume and has minimal if any drone. When I added the down-pipes I didn't notice much increase in volume except on a cold start.

Before going Solo I had a custom exhaust with a "resonated x-pipe" (muffler with an internal x-pipe) and then 2.5" pipe back - no resonators or mufflers - and it was pretty loud but a bit raspy/high-pitch, and had a fair bit of drone; the Solo cat-back is similar (single muffler where the h-pipe/x-pipe goes - not sure what's inside the muffler) but is 2.25" pipe and has resonators where the mufflers went - not quite as loud but a bit cleaner and slightly deeper sounding.

If you do get rid of the mufflers, two others I like (based on videos - never heard them in person) are the MRT ones (V1 and V2 - think I like V2 better) and Flowmaster. There's also this exhaust which sounds pretty damn good if you ask me; according to the comments he did 3" pipe, x-pipe, no resonators, Jones Full Boar Racing mufflers.

Get rid of the resoators and mufflers,install eledtric cut outs..You'll love it!!
steakmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 07:10 PM   #9
67-LS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakmaker View Post
Get rid of the resoators and mufflers,install eledtric cut outs..You'll love it!!
IMO. resonators are the only thing keeping it from sounding like a ricer. I’d loose a muffler before a resonator.
But sound is very subjective. So listen to as many as you can then decide but remember it will never sound like a V8. That exhaust system hasn’t been invented yet.