Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-24-2015, 11:34 PM   #1
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
Mysterious leak in right rear passengers back seat floor carpeting

Was just cleaning out the car today and found the carpet was fairly went in the back seat on the right passengers side on the floor. No leaks from the door or sun roof - not really sure what could have caused this. Nothing was spilled either.

I drive a 2011 auto. I looked around the back seat for a drip or a path where the water could have formed or come down from but there was none. It is literally just the right rear passengers side carpet right dead in the middle that is wet. The sides of the carpeting where you put your legs are not wet it is just wet where you would put your feet. The sides are not one bit wet.It looks like the water just pooled. I am stumped as to what could have caused this.

Has anyone else here had this same problem and found a solution to it?

I have done some extensive research on here and gotten quite a few answers but none that fit this pattern. Not sure if its to do with the heater core or a clogged AC line or something along that. I am not the most mechanically inclined so I am not sure what could be the cause.

Thinking of taking it to the dealer after I dry it and try to replicate it again. Hoping it was a one time thing - don't want rust and or mildew forming.

Thanks for the help!
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:58 AM   #2
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Its odd that its in the back seat because there is nothing around it..is the front floor dry ? You really need to find a drip path....or take it to a carwash and you sit in the back while someone else drives. This simulates the water test done at the factory.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:15 AM   #3
camarozzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Its odd that its in the back seat because there is nothing around it..is the front floor dry ? You really need to find a drip path....or take it to a carwash and you sit in the back while someone else drives. This simulates the water test done at the factory.

I looked for a drip path for about 20 minutes and couldn't find a thing. The sunroof is dry and the windows don't leak either. The front and under the seat was dry as well. Also I noticed that the right side was much more wet than the left side in the rear right side passengers carpet.

That's not a bad idea. I think I will try that!
Old 01-25-2015, 06:50 AM   #4
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
When your heater is on, do you hear rapid clicking when you turn it off from high speed? If so, it may be heater core problem leaking from front seat to the back? If the fron passenger seat is dry, then probably not heater core. Gl finding fix.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:50 AM   #5
Jfoster

Drives: 2016 GT vert.
Ours did the same thing, but its a vert. With the verts, they channel water down thru the rear quarter panel and out right behind the door. There's a metal seam in there that came apart that allowed water to leak inside into the rear floorboard just as you described. The tech pulled out the interior panel and resealed the metal seam in there. But on a coupe, I don't know if they're designed the same way. Also someone posted a while back the weather seam under the door was a bad and allowed water in while driving on wet roads.
Jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:56 AM   #6
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
If it's heater core you'll have the familiar antifreeze smell inside the car. Mine wasn't.

If you've searched you may have seen my post or two. I had this recurrent issue in my 2011 coupe. Started with both passenger front and rear. Dealer repair at trip #1 fixed it to the front but still had water in the rear after heavy rainstorms.

Took me two more dealer visits over the course of the year for them to get it right. There's a water deflector in the door that ultimately needed replaced and sealed correctly (twice) and I'm good now. One of the threads on this issue included details of the repair I'm talking about. Mine also pooled in the center of the passenger rear. Think gravity and floor may be dished slightly. Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:28 AM   #7
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I don't know if the sunroofs have water drain tubes on them like they did in the 80s GM midsize cars. If they don't then this doesn't apply. The 80s style was supposed to drain out through the A and B-pillar areas but sometimes the tubes came loose and dribbled water either on the front carpets and the back.

Just something I thought of. Water leaks are a mofo to track down sometimes.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:18 AM   #8
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
I don't know if the sunroofs have water drain tubes on them like they did in the 80s GM midsize cars. If they don't then this doesn't apply. The 80s style was supposed to drain out through the A and B-pillar areas but sometimes the tubes came loose and dribbled water either on the front carpets and the back.

This is what i'm suspecting, I can't think of any other place for water to come from. I don't know if these have drain tubes or not though, however I would suspect they do.

Edit: no replies to this post but it seems the OP was complaining of a similar problem.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246901

Another post also, apparently the drain runs through the trunk area.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340260

Might want to check for this tube in this post also:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129704
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:49 PM   #9
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post

I think the drain issue for the sunroof only applies if the sunroof is left open and collects rain in the channels. If the op has his closed...no water should enter. The seal around the sunroof would prevent this.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:22 AM   #10
alvinmiles

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS - Black
my drain hose was disconnected. it runs thru the trunk for some reason and easily comes apart. i reconnected it and used a zip tie to hold it tight.

http://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJY1FzsIqSAtCJxZdYeuz-A
alvinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:51 AM   #11
Neoclasiccl

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS L99
Check your floor pan plugs my passenger floor behind the rear seat was getting wet this was the problem the rubber pad wasn't covering the hole
Neoclasiccl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:49 AM   #12
camarozzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoclasiccl View Post
Check your floor pan plugs my passenger floor behind the rear seat was getting wet this was the problem the rubber pad wasn't covering the hole
Thanks for the reply. I'm still testing and trying to figure out the problem before I take it to the dealer. Would you mind elaborating where this picture is in the car? I'm having a hard time finding them. Thanks a lot! !

Last edited by camarozzzz; 02-11-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:38 AM   #13
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
There is a service bulletin for this.

There is a drain plug that can become clogged.

about 4 posts down in this link

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?s=ca...&search=Search

Last edited by intensifi; 02-11-2015 at 10:29 PM.
intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:44 AM   #14
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Wet rear floor pans unfortunately aren't that uncommon in these cars. The verts have their own issues, but for the coupes the issue is usually missing body sealer or water entering the door and then draining into the interior. When you say you looked for a drip path did you actually take anything apart or were you just looking for water or wet carpet? You really need to take out the rear seat cushion, quarter panel trim, and pull back the carpet to see what is going on.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote