Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-16-2015, 02:02 AM   #29
MrTeacher

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
I've had the same problem with my HID headlights in my 2010 2LT/RS. I also bought several different replacement bulbs from Diode Dynamics, Oracle, and Gen5Diy with the same results. At this point, I'm actually looking into replacing my RS Halo HIDs with halogen-based headlights and then buying better bulbs. The headlights I have are bright enough for people to see me, but they don't throw the light very far, and that's connected to the design of the light and how much power the bulbs have. Unfortunately, they are only 35 watts, and there really isn't anything else to do as I see it right now.

Anyone know if I can just buy non-RS headlights and replace what I currently have with them?
MrTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:04 AM   #30
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTeacher View Post
I've had the same problem with my HID headlights in my 2010 2LT/RS. I also bought several different replacement bulbs from Diode Dynamics, Oracle, and Gen5Diy with the same results. At this point, I'm actually looking into replacing my RS Halo HIDs with halogen-based headlights and then buying better bulbs. The headlights I have are bright enough for people to see me, but they don't throw the light very far, and that's connected to the design of the light and how much power the bulbs have. Unfortunately, they are only 35 watts, and there really isn't anything else to do as I see it right now.

Anyone know if I can just buy non-RS headlights and replace what I currently have with them?
For me, the halos add enough personality for me to justify keeping them. I can't imagine that nobody on here has had this issue and wasn't able to fix it. Maybe the amperage on my alternator isn't as it should be? does anyone have a normal-operating amperage rating I could compare against?
Current: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower w/ Idler Relocation, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, Tuned by Pat G
Past: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq

spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:28 AM   #31
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I still think that the housing itself is defective/dirty - not the HID capsules.

I know my headlights are a Godsend. They're insanely bright and the cutoff is perfect. I wouldn't get rid of them for anything.

I think you should pick up a new set of headlight housings. That's gotta be your only fix at the moment. And I don't mean aftermarket housings - in my experience they're not built quite to the quality of OEM. Your best bet would be to find a set of housings from a totaled car. They do pop up for sale here now and again.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #32
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
I still think that the housing itself is defective/dirty - not the HID capsules.

I know my headlights are a Godsend. They're insanely bright and the cutoff is perfect. I wouldn't get rid of them for anything.

I think you should pick up a new set of headlight housings. That's gotta be your only fix at the moment. And I don't mean aftermarket housings - in my experience they're not built quite to the quality of OEM. Your best bet would be to find a set of housings from a totaled car. They do pop up for sale here now and again.
If that's what it boils down to, then I guess i could bite that bullet. Just seems weird that nobody else has had this issue. I have caught my volt meter down by 12/11 when the car was running, so my alt could be doing bad from when I had a coolant/PS leak that got it wet.
Current: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower w/ Idler Relocation, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, Tuned by Pat G

Old 03-17-2015, 12:39 AM   #33
MrTeacher

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
I love the halos too, but I need to get more light output asap- it's scary to drive at night. I'm hoping I can just change them out with non-RS eagle eyes... Then I get halos and halogens.
MrTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #34
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadz93 View Post
For me, the halos add enough personality for me to justify keeping them. I can't imagine that nobody on here has had this issue and wasn't able to fix it. Maybe the amperage on my alternator isn't as it should be? does anyone have a normal-operating amperage rating I could compare against?
When you lights first start they will draw 5.5 amps per light, hope that helps.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #35
STONE SS

Drives: 2010 SS IOM
I have the same problem. Just ordered PIAA bulbs and hoping for the best. It's seriously driving me nuts. I see cars with non-HID bulbs that are brighter than mine and they are new diode dynamics bulbs.
STONE SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:51 PM   #36
Kcchiefscraig

Drives: 2010 LT synergy green
I just came from non RS lights to rs hid lights and the HID are way brighter and reach further than the halogen bulbs. I did upgrade the hid bulbs with a set of 6k from gen5!
Mods so far Monster Clutch,first ever! Hurst shifter, RS Headlights with halo always on harness, Heritage Grill, Cold Air Inductions CAI, 20% tint, RX catch can, RX clean side seperator, Vmax Iceolator. BBK long tube headers, high flow cats, Magnaflow exhaust, gill stripes, GTO Clutch resevoir, plastic dip wheels emblems.
Kcchiefscraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #37
ronss

Drives: 2SS CGM/GRND FX/STRIPES/CAI, manual
i have a 2010 had the same problem i found out that the bulbs were a little lose not completely tight in the housing they were on but weak i reinstalled them the right way and boom bright lights im not saying thats your problem but try it
Old 01-08-2016, 12:37 PM   #38
STONE SS

Drives: 2010 SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronss View Post
i have a 2010 had the same problem i found out that the bulbs were a little lose not completely tight in the housing they were on but weak i reinstalled them the right way and boom bright lights im not saying thats your problem but try it
Can you validate which direction the connector is facing? Mine are facing down which I believe to be correct.
STONE SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:38 PM   #39
jrod241

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS RS, 6M
I know this is an old thread but my 2010 has the same issue.super dim lights. Replaced the bulbs, new battery. Did the OP figure out the issue?
jrod241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:13 AM   #40
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod241 View Post
I know this is an old thread but my 2010 has the same issue.super dim lights. Replaced the bulbs, new battery. Did the OP figure out the issue?
Yeah I bought a new car Nah, the plating inside the projectors on the headlights are prone to fading/deteriorating, causing lower light output. That's what I've read on a few occasions. New headlights would probably fix it, or new projectors.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #41
96SS10SS
hates winter

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod241 View Post
Check out my posts on this thread:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=491102&page=2

The reflective coating on the reflectors can burn off with the stock setup which makes the lights barely bright enough to drive at night...which is a huge safety issue. If there was a state inspection category where they checked light output I would have failed. I put up with it for a while while I researched it and just didn’t drive as much at night. However once daylight saving time ended I was driving home in the dark daily and it was bad. I posted some photos of my experience in the thread above. I bought new assemblies (made by TYC) from RockAuto and just put everything in yesterday. HUGE improvement. Worth the $770 I paid but very frustrating to have to replace entire headlights for that reason. Bulbs and ballasts I can understand but not internal plastic parts. I contacted Chevrolet about it just to see what they might do about it. I assume it will go nowhere outside of warranty.

Side note: I had BMW replace my 2000 328Ci subframe well out of warranty (9 year old car with over 120,000 miles) for a known defect (eventual class action for those who were told mods caused the problem and had to pay out of pocket) but I don’t know if the Camaro headlight defect is well known enough to even get a response other than “I’ve never heard of/seen this happen before” from a dealer. I’m still pursuing a remedy because it’s unacceptable.
2010 2SS/RS LS3 built October 30, 2009; 416ci/6.8L forged LS3 with 495 RWHP@6k/470 TQ@4.4k; Lunati 235/243 .626"/.634" 114LSA +3; Monster LT-1S twin disc, SLP retro badges, MGW shifter/knob, Hotchkis TVS Stage 1, Pedders Street Z bushings, 3.91 Gear swap, red calipers, Z28 CAI, ZL1 side skirts/rock guards, Kooks 1 7/8" headers, SLP front splitter.
96SS10SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #42
jrod241

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS RS, 6M
Lol, well I just got this car. Not ready for a new one!
That sucks....
Maybe I will pull them and inspect the housings. I can shell-out 600-800 for new housings though
jrod241 is offline   Reply With Quote