Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-24-2019, 07:33 PM   #1
Blown1LE

Drives: 2015 Supercharged Camaro 1LE
Idle issues in Orlando FL

I have a magnuson supercharged 1le that I have been doing some more work on. Prior to doing these latest modifications occasionally when I push the clutch in the car would either stall or be searching to idle and then stabilize and be fine but that was very periodic. Since putting this Stage 3 cam and new fuel injectors in along with the DSX fuel pump this is now continuous. The car will always search for an idle and usually stalls. I thought it was something that the tuner was going to be able to remedy but he has had no luck. He’s blaming it on the mag sensor which I cleaned tonight and it did seem to make a slight difference. When I rev it now it didn’t seem to dip as far or stall but I have yet to drive it and push the clutch in and see if it dies. When I drove it home it jumped up briefly but then crashes. Sometimes it catches and then jumps back up again only to stall other times it just stalls right away. If you feather the throttle it will stabilize and idle. Am I wrong or could this still be a tuning issue ? It was a frustrating day as I added the dsx auxiliary pump and every other run the fuel pressure was dropping into the 45psi area so looks like the in tank pump is struggling now.
Any input would be appreciated as it was an expensive day and I have a car that I can’t really use. Thanks

Plus if you are in Central Florida please contact me if you can help

Last edited by Blown1LE; 05-25-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Blown1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:50 PM   #2
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
I'm not super knowledgeable in this area, but I had a similar issue when I did my tune for headers. To me, it sounds like it might be a throttle body issue. I don't see in your sig that you have switched to a bigger or another one at all. But when I did my tune, I had purchased a 102 so I figured I would throw it on as well. My car would surge and not idle correctly. When coming to a stop, it would idle about 2500 until I came to a complete stop or held the clutch in. And if I let the clutch out, it would jump up and down trying to idle correctly. I believe it was a defective throttle body. Maybe the internal motor got misaligned by the blade being pushed in and out manually? I had read it can do that. So I put the stock one on, and had it tuned again, and haven't had an issue since. I do want to get another 102 and see if that was an issue, just haven't had the opportunity. But might be something to look at. My .02 cents
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:57 PM   #3
Blown1LE

I wondered about the throttle body also. I bought the car with the supercharger so I don’t know if the throttle body is stock or not
I don’t get much of a surge as it high idle. More so when you push the clutch in or rev the engine the idle plummets and then tries to not stall hence surging up then down then it stalls. Sometimes I push the clutch in and it just plummets and stalls immediately. It did it every now and then before the cam and injectors but now it’s all the time.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:02 PM   #4
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
Yeah I'm not sure if you did the cam swap or a shop, but did they or you possibly clean the throttle body and pushed the blade open with their hands? It might have been ok at first, but after the cam swap, maybe it just went way out of whack. Also I know its probably been done when you did the cam swap, I think if you unhook the batter for 2 hours, and unhook the throttle body plug, and then plug that in and hook the battery back up, it resets it and the learning process. I tried doing that a couple times, but maybe give it a shot again?

Also, maybe look into a used throttle body on here, I see them all the time for around 100 or so. Just to give it a shot.
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:05 PM   #5
Blown1LE

I did the cam swap but it was doing it occasionally before the cam but it’s just a lot worse now probably due to the big cam. I had the battery disconnected for a week but I will try the procedure you mentioned tomorrow. Thanks for the info
Old 05-25-2019, 05:25 PM   #6
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
You need a way to datalog. Otherwise you shooting in the dark. I'd also look for a new tuner
Old 05-25-2019, 06:29 PM   #7
Blown1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1660 View Post
You need a way to datalog. Otherwise you shooting in the dark. I'd also look for a new tuner
I totally agree. After stepping away from yesterday I think I need a tuner that knows my car better. So disappointed
Old 05-25-2019, 06:57 PM   #8
bill522

Drives: 2014 LS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown1LE View Post
I totally agree. After stepping away from yesterday I think I need a tuner that knows my car better. So disappointed
Tampa Tuning..360 Customs..Powertech Performance..CHenry Motorsports///They all have FB pages but are really busy, BUT well known and very very reliable
bill522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:35 PM   #9
Blown1LE

Hoping to find someone closer since the car is running the way it is but I’m not against making a drive if needed
Need to get over how pissed I am about this situation first then move on lol
Old 05-26-2019, 07:25 AM   #10
bill522

Drives: 2014 LS Camaro
Quote:
Hoping to find someone closer since the car is running the way it is but I’m not against making a drive if needed
Need to get over how pissed I am about this situation first then move on lol
These guys in the speed shop community state-wide know each other. Might be able to get a couple of local references from one or two of them
bill522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #11
Blown1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill522 View Post
These guys in the speed shop community state-wide know each other. Might be able to get a couple of local references from one or two of them
Yes I really need to make sure I find the right people as something just is not right
Old 06-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Yes I really need to make sure I find the right people as something just is not right
I would suggest Redline Motorsports.

If you can not find any help locally don't be afraid to contact me for a remote custom tune.

I have tuned over 7000 Gen5 camaros.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #13
Blown1LE

I took the car to a tuner in Tampa over the weekend and the car runs way better than before but the idle issue is still there at times. We were seeing 143 degrees air intake temps after runs
Idle sometimes surges too but my biggest problem is the idle struggles to stay stable especially when the car is hot. On my second tuner and cant seem to get it resolved so at this point I wonder if I have a vacuum leak I am not finding plus hot starts are terrible, after some hard runs the AIT reads 140 degrees and its dumping way too much fuel on start up and chocking the engine until the temps drop into the 120s and then it clears up.
The radiator hose runs under the air intake so close to the tube and directly under the MAF sensor that the tube is red hot to the touch so no wonder the air temps are so high. Has anyone with the heartbeat supercharger ran into any of these issues ?
Did a cold start yesterday and that was all over the place until it stabilized
I am running ID 1050 injectors. No idea if the tune has been scaled. I by no means have any tuning knowledge so I am relying on the pros to get this right and I am two tuners into this and although the car makes great power the idle is just not settled at all. It is slightly better on 93 than the e85 but I didnt spend all this money to not run the e85, just need to get this resolved and make sure its not a mechanical issue also I guess but other than the idle and hot and now cold starts the car seems happy on the road.

The first tuner at Kings Performance in Orlando actually downloaded a tune off a Chevy SS he tuned the week before and called it good and the car would not idle at all, was backfiring and getting 7 mpg so I will be calling them about that, the car can be driven now, just feel like it needs a little more tinkering
Old 06-15-2019, 11:34 PM   #14
Blown1LE

Well after driving the car last night I see an issue that I thought the new tune resolved is back. The car seems to fall flat on its face for a split second at around 2200 rpm at light to moderate acceleration. When I mentioned it to the tuner he didnt see anything that may have been causing it but its definitely an issue. Now when I added the DSX aux pump I did change the MAP sensor so is there any way that may be the issue ? Kind of at a loss about this as the car runs so damn strong under full acceleration but I keep getting this dead spot under normal driving.

Last edited by Blown1LE; 09-30-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Blown1LE is offline   Reply With Quote