Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Putting stripes on the car too early (before paint cured)?

Does anyone that is getting stripes worry that there paint has not fully cured? People always say to wait a few months after a paint job and or a new car to wax because the paint has not fully cured.

Curious because we also have a CGM coming with black stripes..
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Nope. They've been doing it for 30 years so pretty sure we are good.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
Lovestanda
Large Member

Drives: Yugo SS
Yeah but

I thought that too. But, the paint's under the clear coat so it's protected right???
Lovestanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
It's all good....my faith's in GM on this one
Old 05-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
The clearcoat is also paint.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
Lovestanda
Large Member

Drives: Yugo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
The clearcoat is also paint.
didn't know---thanks
Lovestanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
these days, it does not take several months for paint to cure. several hours in the right conditions.
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:10 PM   #8
HuJass

Drives: GM
The paint the factory applies does not have to cure.
First off, it's a different mixture than what a body shop uses. I think there is no catalyst in the factory's paint.
Secondly, it's baked at like 375 degrees for a few hours. It's totally cured by the time it comes out of the oven.

Here's a neat tidbit. Most cars don't come out perfect after they've been painted at the factory. There can be foreign material trapped in it, or maybe water or oil dripped onto the surface. The small imperfections can be fixed on one of the inspection decks in the paint shop. Slightly larger paint errors can be repaired in the paint department on a secondary line.
And if there are too many problems with the paint, they send it right back to the booth. No sanding, no prep (other than tacking it off), no nothing. They just spray right over the existing paint.
They get 3 tries to get good results. If they can't get it right, the shell is stripped of anything useful (doors, fender, etc) and the shell is scrapped.
That's how my plant works. I don't know about GM. They'll probably come on here and deny it.
HuJass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #9
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Very interesting. I had a FULLY custom paint job and it was nuts but I was told not to wax it for a few months.

Good info to know on a new car.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuJass View Post
First off, it's a different mixture than what a body shop uses. I think there is no catalyst in the factory's paint.
Secondly, it's baked at like 375 degrees for a few hours. It's totally cured by the time it comes out of the oven.

Here's a neat tidbit. Most cars don't come out perfect after they've been painted at the factory. There can be foreign material trapped in it, or maybe water or oil dripped onto the surface. The small imperfections can be fixed on one of the inspection decks in the paint shop. Slightly larger paint errors can be repaired in the paint department on a secondary line.
And if there are too many problems with the paint, they send it right back to the booth. No sanding, no prep (other than tacking it off), no nothing. They just spray right over the existing paint.
They get 3 tries to get good results. If they can't get it right, the shell is stripped of anything useful (doors, fender, etc) and the shell is scrapped.
That's how my plant works. I don't know about GM. They'll probably come on here and deny it.
very interesting~
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
King Mouse

Drives: EXT
No catalyst in the clear? Really? I would like to hear confirmation of this. Not saying you are wrong. As a painter, I am just curious.
King Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #12
lovecheese

Drives: 2007 turboed Civic SI
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuJass View Post

What if they are like my SI and have problems with paint all over the car? Runs in it, specks of dirt under the clearcoat. 70 days in the shop ftw. Now to wait :(
lovecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #13
HuJass

Drives: GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecheese View Post
What if they are like my SI and have problems with paint all over the car? Runs in it, specks of dirt under the clearcoat. 70 days in the shop ftw. Now to wait :(
Was yours bad from the factory?
HuJass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:05 PM   #14
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
This is true. Factory paint is nothing even close to what they use in a paint shop. No catalyst and most is waterborne these days. They bake at 450. Paint shops can't do the same because the interior and electronics would fry.

SO, absolutely no concerns about the factory paint "out-gassing" under the vinyl stripes and you can wash, wax, seal, etc. as soon as you get it. For the guys that are getting their stripes painted on, you need to wait about 2 months before waxing / sealing. The body shop paint must have time to fully cure and out-gas. Warm days and sunshine accelerate that process.