Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 08-22-2011, 11:30 PM   #1
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Drag Racing..."Real Street Cars"

The other thread got pulled, so I never really got an answer to my question. What is a "Real Street Car".

Though I've watched drag racing for years, I've only started doing it myself for fun...as a run what you brung type deal.

I've been somewhat familiar with the various classes, so when this "real street car" was brought up, I had no idea what he was talking about.

These are the classes listed in Wikipedia. I don't see a "real street car" class. Now, I also have friends who race "what they brung", and some are even racing in the Super Stock category.

I guess it made no sense to me what the difference is. I mean, in order to do 9's, you probably need to be racing on drag slicks, not drag radials. So is this "real street car" running on slicks on the street too?

Seriously, I truly don't understand....so educate me.

Top Alcohol Dragster (TA/D)
Top Alcohol Funny Car (TA/FC). In the IHRA, Alcohol Funny Car is the fifh pro category, replacing NHRA's Pro Stock Bike.
Competition Eliminator
Pro FWD
Super Comp/Quick Rod
Super Gas/Super Rod
Super Street/Hot Rod
Super Stock
Stock
Sport Compact
Top Sportsman (NHRA and IHRA)
Top Dragster (NHRA and IHRA) In NHRA, these two classes are sometimes run together as Top Comp
Top Fuel Funny Bike (high performance 5 second bikes)
NHRA and ANDRASummit Racing series Super Pro, Pro, and bike.
Junior Dragster (racers between the ages of 8 and 18 may race a half scale version of the sport's fastest car, Top Fuel Dragster. Juniors run as following: 12.90-slower for 8-9 year olds, 10-12 year olds at 8.90, and 13-18 year olds 7.90 and slower at a top speed of 85 mph). These cars race at 1/8 mile or 1/16 mile.
NHRA new class for Juniors is JR COMP running 6.90s at a top speed of 110 miles per hour (180 km/h) (1/8 mile or 1/16 mile).

Last edited by Steve Dallas; 08-23-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Steve Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Steve,

The classes listed below give a pretty clear indication of the classes as recognized by NHRA...

A real street car is kind of like the old statement of it has a 3/4 or a full race cam... Outdated terminology...

As you will see, there are specific requirements for the different classes including dial in time, and penalties for exceeding the time allowed... Break out and loose... or break out worse than the other guy...

"real street cars are considered to be cars driven to the track, maybe undergoing a change of tires, and run it... Full bodies, and full interiors... with generally having all factory options in working condition... There is no "class" of street cars like people are talking about to my knowledge...

The only place to run cars like this are in unsanctioned races. If you race at a sanctioned event, you will have to tech and qualify under one of the classes listed...and meet all of the minimum qualifications for that class...

I can take my car for example to a test and tune night and run grudge races against friends...and as long as I pass tech for my intended speed and or time, I'm good to go... ex...If my car will run 9.90, I have to have a welded in 8 point cage... to be legal... over X mph, and you have to have a chute... etc... SFI ratings on things like the bell housing, clutch, seat and or harnesses, drive shaft loop ... I have most of this stuff, but it's still a street car unless I bracket it into a specific class.. Some organizations will sponsor a run what you brung event in a given area... but other than that, it's all about bench racing... It gets more and more expensive to run the faster you go... and in most cases, you have to dial a car down to fit into a class or risk breaking out... As an example, Super Street has a 10.90 index... Lots of Camaro5 cars will run 10.90's and faster, but they dont meet the other requirements in many cases...

I may not have all of this completely correct, but the nut shell response is that there is no "Real Street Car" class...

NHRA Classes Overview

Top Fuel, Funny Car, and Pro Stock are just three of the more than 200 classes of vehicles featured in NHRA competition. Those classes are grouped into 12 categories, or eliminators, each strictly governed by NHRA rule makers. Class eligibility is based on various requirements and specifications, including type of vehicle, engine size, vehicle weight, allowable modifications, and aerodynamics.
The four Professional categories are Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock, and Pro Stock Motorcycle. They, along with Top Alcohol Dragster and Top Alcohol Funny Car and the three "Super" classes – Super Comp, Super Gas, and Super Street – feature a single class of vehicle in heads-up competition. The remaining categories – Comp, Super Stock, and Stock – are made up of a variety of classes and use a handicap starting system to equalize competition.
Top Fuel
Among the fastest-accelerating machines in the world, 7,000-horsepower Top Fuel dragsters are often referred to as the “kings of the sport,” and with good reason. They are capable of covering a quarter-mile in 4.4 seconds at more than 330 mph. Powered by a supercharged and fuel-injected 500-cubic-inch adaptation of the famed Chrysler Hemi engine, Top Fuel dragsters can burn up to 15 gallons of nitromethane fuel during a single quarter-mile run. Constructed of chromoly steel tubing and carbon-fiber composite, Top Fuel cars are 25 feet long and weigh 2,250 pounds in race-ready trim.

Funny Car
Similar to their Top Fuel counterparts but with a shorter wheelbase and a carbon-fiber body that loosely resembles a production-based automobile, Funny Cars routinely run in the 4.7-second range and are capable of speeds in excess of 330 mph. Funny Cars are powered by the same supercharged and fuel-injected 500-inch engines as Top Fuel dragsters. Funny Cars are also similar to Top Fuel dragsters in that they do not use a transmission but rather transmit power to the huge Goodyear rear slicks through a multistage clutch assembly that is activated by timers.

Pro Stock
Often called “factory hot rods” because of their resemblance to production-based automobiles, Pro Stock cars are some of the most technologically advanced machines in drag racing. Built around a sophisticated tube chassis and four-link rear suspension, Pro Stock cars must conform to precise measurements and weigh no less than 2,350 pounds. Pro Stock engines use two carburetors and spec gasoline and are restricted to a maximum of 500 cubic inches. They can rev to more than 10,500 rpm and make in excess of 1,300 horsepower. A competitive Pro Stock car can run in the 6.6s at more than 208 mph.

Pro Stock Motorcycle
These highly modified vehicles, which can run under seven seconds at more than 195 mph, feature a purpose-built tube chassis and a lightweight, aerodynamically enhanced replica of original bodywork. The class features a wide variety of makes, models, and engines, including V-Twin entries from Harley-Davidson and Buell and inline four-cylinder-equipped Suzuki and Kawasaki models. To ensure a level playing field, pushrod-equipped V-Twin engines are limited to 160 cubic inches, and the high-winding four-cylinder engines cannot be larger than 101 cubic inches. Fuel injection is permitted, and spec gasoline is the only fuel allowed.

Top Alcohol Dragster
Top Alcohol Dragsters may look like Top Fuelers, but they have ­significant differences. Whereas Top Fuelers use supercharged, nitro-burning engines, Top Alcohol Dragsters may use a supercharged methanol-burning engine or an injected nitromethane combination. The injected nitro cars do not use a transmission, and the supercharged cars have three forward speeds. Weights vary according to combination but are generally between 1,975 and 2,050 pounds. Like Top Fuelers, Top Alcohol Dragsters are restricted to a maximum wheelbase of 300 inches. A typical run is in the 5.2s at more than 270 mph.

Top Alcohol Funny Car
Similar in physical appearance to their nitro-burning Funny Car counterparts, Top Alcohol Funny Cars are restricted to the use of methanol fuel and have a three-speed transmission. Top Alcohol Funny Cars feature basically the same chromoly steel chassis as the nitro cars and are fitted with the same carbon-fiber replica bodies, though the Top Alcohol Funny Car bodies do not need as much downforce and use a much smaller rear spoiler. Top Alcohol Funny Cars are capable of performances in the 5.5s at more than 260 mph.

Comp
No category in NHRA competition features more variety than Comp. Dragsters, altereds, street roadsters, coupes, sedans, front-engine nostalgia dragsters, sport compact cars, and trucks race in 87 classes. The engine combinations are just as diverse as the vehicles, from turbocharged four- and six-cylinder engines to Pro Stock-style ­V-8s and nitrous-oxide-equipped mountain motors. Most cars are classified using a formula that divides total car weight by cubic inches. Each class is assigned an index based on what a well-built car should run, and races are handicapped according to those indexes.

Super Stock
Super Stock vehicles may look like ordinary passenger vehicles, but they are highly modified race cars. The category features primarily late-model sedans and vintage muscle cars, and entries are classified using a system that divides factory shipping weight by NHRA-factored horsepower. Significant engine modifications are permitted, but the vehicle must retain the correct engine block, cylinder heads, and carburetor. The top class is SS/AH, which is exclusively for '68 Dodge Dart and Plymouth Barracuda factory race cars. Cars are handicapped using an index system, and the breakout rule is enforced.

Stock
Stock cars are similar to their big brothers in Super Stock, but the rules regarding everything from engine modifications to body alterations are much stricter. Virtually any car is eligible to compete, and entries are classified using a system that divides factory shipping weight by NHRA-factored horsepower. Bodies must be unaltered and retain a full factory interior. Tires are limited to a maximum nine-inch-wide rear slick. Engines must be correct for the make and model vehicle and must retain stock cylinder heads, intake manifold, and carburetor or fuel injector. Modifications are limited to a basic balancing and rebuild with only a few performance enhancements.

Super Comp
The quickest of the heads-up Super classes (8.90 index), Super Comp is composed primarily of dragsters. Engine, chassis, and body modifications are virtually unlimited, though all entries must adhere to NHRA safety standards. Four- and six-cylinder-powered entries may have a minimum weight of 1,000 pounds; all others cannot weigh less than 1,350 pounds. Most Super Comp cars are capable of running well under the 8.90 index but use a number of electronic aids, including a timer and adjustable throttle, to run close to the index without running quicker than it, or breaking out.

Super Gas
Super Gas entries, which run on a 9.90 index, are primarily full-bodied cars and street roadsters. No dragsters or altereds are permitted. Rules regarding engine and chassis modifications are extremely liberal, though the use of exotic fuels is prohibited. The minimum weight is 2,100 pounds except for four-cylinder-powered cars, which may have a minimum weight of 1,200 pounds. As in Super Comp, competitors use electronic timers and throttle stops to run as close to the class standard without going under. Also as in Super Comp, races are staged using a four-tenths Pro start.
Super Street
At NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series races and select NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series events, Super Street racers compete on a fixed 10.90-second index. All vehicles must be full-bodied cars and weigh no less than 2,800 pounds except for six-cylinder cars, which may have a minimum weight of 2,000 pounds, and four-cylinder- and rotary-powered cars (1,200 pounds). Engine and chassis modifications are virtually unlimited. Racers compete on a five-tenths Pro Tree.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
WOW.....Robert.....you took the words right out of my mouth...you hit the nail on the head!! I couldn't have said it better!

+1000
Old 08-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Thanks for the information. I actually knew most of the rules regarding NHRA classes, but it was nice to have it all written out.

The reason this came up was because of a post where someone (can't remember who) was going to be running a "real street car", and was saying he would be the first 5th gen to be breaking into the 9's. I'd never heard that term before, so I wondered what it meant. Being that some of the 9's I've seen by Lingenfelter and Hennessey were generally tubbed out cars, but still looked street worthy with working head and tail lights...I wouldn't have been surprised if those cars would be street drivable with a change of tires.

So hence my question...which you answered.

I'm rather surprised that no-one has gotten 9's in a non-stripped 5th gen yet...I've seen some pretty nice builds...plus, since this is really an unofficial class....how do you really know you can make that claim?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Thanks for the information. I actually knew most of the rules regarding NHRA classes, but it was nice to have it all written out.

The reason this came up was because of a post where someone (can't remember who) was going to be running a "real street car", and was saying he would be the first 5th gen to be breaking into the 9's. I'd never heard that term before, so I wondered what it meant. Being that some of the 9's I've seen by Lingenfelter and Hennessey were generally tubbed out cars, but still looked street worthy with working head and tail lights...I wouldn't have been surprised if those cars would be street drivable with a change of tires.

I'm rather surprised that no-one has gotten 9's in a non-stripped 5th gen yet...I've seen some pretty nice builds...plus, since this is really an unofficial class....how do you really know you can make that claim?
Steve.....they have....a LONG time ago......a buddy of mine, who has his own shop has a STREET DRIVEN Camaro, in fact it drive it to mork most days, and as DOCUMENTED 9.82 1/4 miles times.....so much so his car had been profiled in GM High-Tech Performance!

Here is the mag/article: http://www.gmhightechperformance.com..._ss/index.html
Old 08-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Steve.....they have....a LONG time ago......a buddy of mine, who has his own shop has a STREET DRIVEN Camaro, in fact it drive it to mork most days, and as DOCUMENTED 9.82 1/4 miles times.....so much so his car had been profiled in GM High-Tech Performance!

Here is the mag/article: http://www.gmhightechperformance.com..._ss/index.html
Cool...

As I said earlier, it would have really surprised me if that 9's hadn't been accomplished yet.

Oh, and though I don't remember who it was that posted the thread that got pulled. I think it's awesome you've made a car that can do 9's...I was just a little skeptical the claim of breaking into the 9s and being the first "real street car" to do 9's. Plus, as I said earlier...I had no idea technically what a "real street car" is now.

In talking to various people, it's not even an official class....but it's also not "run what you brung" in the classic sense I know. Tires, for example, will need to be changed because there's no way you're doing 9's on any street legal tires. In fact, the whole "real street car" sounds subjective to me. For example, are these people keeping the car stereo in the car and blasting tunes going down the track? If I recall my rules to participate at the track, at some point you need roll bars/cage....can't remember what the time is that if you go faster you need to do this is...but I'm pretty sure 9's qualify, so if that's the case, how much interior modification is being done to get that put in?

Sounds very amorphous to me...In some ways, It sounds cool, but I guess I'm more interested in when a Camaro breaks into the 8's
Old 08-23-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Different sanctioning bodies have different classes, tracks come up with their own classes, special events have their own classes. Many different versions of "Real Street" have been out there.

The LS Fest drag event has their version here is a link to it.

http://www.holley.com/LSFest/DragRace.asp
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Steve, we have a number of guys that have had the roll cages put in in their STREET Cars, and they, the shop actually takes the car over and has the roll cages LEATHER COVERED so it looks NICE!! couldn't tell ya what all it takes.....but its usually a one day job.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Different sanctioning bodies have different classes, tracks come up with their own classes, special events have their own classes. Many different versions of "Real Street" have been out there.

The LS Fest drag event has their version here is a link to it.

http://www.holley.com/LSFest/DragRace.asp
Cool...though I like how they say "Stock appearing". It wouldn't surprise me if people racing in that class pulled out all the speakers, and were lightening the car...as long as it "appeared" stock. Fake facia for the stereo so the heavy electronics weren't there, remove as many springs and heavy stuff from the rear seats, take out the liner and other stuff you could in the trunk, etc.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #10
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Add what RJ said to my post... It fills in the gaps very well related to other sanctioning bodies...

As for things like a cage, the general recognized rules are based on et and or mph trap speeds..

Run faster than 13.99 and you need a helmet. Faster than 11.50 and you need a helmet, fire rated jacket ( for a forced induction car), and a roll "bar." A roll bar is usually considered four points of contact... This may be and usually is bolted in.
Run faster than 10.00 and you need an 8 or ten point welded in cage... this is what I'm installing in my car... It's good down to 8.50.
Run over a certain mph and you have to have a chute... This is way over simplified for the most part...
There are a lot of other items to factor in... But they came about due to events in the past... Not just at the whim of someone in the name of safety... Almost every rule in the books are truly in the name of safety for the drivers and spectators or to make the racing equal enough to be interesting and competitive...

You can spend thousands filling in the other gaps as well... External battery shut off, fire suppression system, drive shaft loop, harness, seats etc...

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 08-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #11
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:

So... does it.... does it really answer the real street car thing...

maybe there's more to it...

I mean... what about "street legal" races that happen every weekend...

I'm just throwing it out there... I think maybe some of us, me included, are confused by official sanctioned classes and the street legal cars that run all the time.

to me a real street car is street legal... tires and all.

Oh and don't forget... the LPE car has run in the 8's. And it's what I'd call a door slammer.... stock body, gutted.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #12
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Tires, for example, will need to be changed because there's no way you're doing 9's on any street legal tires.
Drag radials are street legal and there are cars running 6's in the 1/4.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #13
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
So... does it.... does it really answer the real street car thing...

maybe there's more to it...

I mean... what about "street legal" races that happen every weekend...

I'm just throwing it out there... I think maybe some of us, me included, are confused by official sanctioned classes and the street legal cars that run all the time.

to me a real street car is street legal... tires and all.

Oh and don't forget... the LPE car has run in the 8's. And it's what I'd call a door slammer.... stock body, gutted.
Technically street legal would include any car that can be legally driven on the street... Headlights, turn signals, horn, street legal tires etc...

I have quite a few uninformed people ask me if my car is street legal with the power it has... There is no legal limit to HP or torque that I am privy to... If so, Speedster and a few other are screwed, but no, there isn't...

There are a lot of high end pure race cars that are not street legal that are called door slammers... Thats pretty much old terminology as well...

My car for example, will have the original back seat in it long enough to take some pictures, and then will be removed since no one can/will ride back there and it's weight... My stereo and A/C and electric door locks and multitude of other things will remain... It'll have a remote (external) battery shut off, as required by NHRA and the "Mile" rules but it will still be "street legal" in every sense of the term... My primary goal is an accomplishment in the Texas Standing Mile, and then the drag racing will be the fun after the fact... There I've said it, my primary goal is the Mile first, hence why I haven't posted up times from running the 1/4 and breaking stuff... I have a goal... that is primary, and I'm hoping my schedule allows me to meet it in the spring... Time will tell...

But Street Legal is a mouth full... All the stuff required by your state and you are good to go...

Old 08-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #14
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Technically street legal would include any car that can be legally driven on the street... Headlights, turn signals, horn, street legal tires etc...

I have quite a few uninformed people ask me if my car is street legal with the power it has... There is no legal limit to HP or torque that I am privy to... If so, Speedster and a few other are screwed, but no, there isn't...

There are a lot of high end pure race cars that are not street legal that are called door slammers... Thats pretty much old terminology as well...

My car for example, will have the original back seat in it long enough to take some pictures, and then will be removed since no one can/will ride back there and it's weight... My stereo and A/C and electric door locks and multitude of other things will remain... It'll have a remote (external) battery shut off, as required by NHRA and the "Mile" rules but it will still be "street legal" in every sense of the term... My primary goal is an accomplishment in the Texas Standing Mile, and then the drag racing will be the fun after the fact... There I've said it, my primary goal is the Mile first, hence why I haven't posted up times from running the 1/4 and breaking stuff... I have a goal... that is primary, and I'm hoping my schedule allows me to meet it in the spring... Time will tell...

But Street Legal is a mouth full... All the stuff required by your state and you are good to go...

That's kinda what I was trying to get at... "street legal" is kind of a loaded term... The LPE car is also street legal save the slicks.... and like you said... Bruce's car... well we can speculate all day... *cough* superquick *cough* and still street legal... But may actually not be rated for the class he'd have to run according to his times.... weird....

but I didn't realize that door slammer was kinda old terminology....
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote