Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #1
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Supercharger experts/ Tuners... step in side (Spark Plug Question)

I have a spark plug question for you forced induction guys. I have a 2010 Camaro (LS3). I installed a Maggy with 3.6 pulley, full exhaust, CAI, custome tune... on it about 6 years ago. At the time I was recommended to go with the OEM ZR1/CTS-V plugs and at the time I also upgraded my wires to the Taylor 409. This is a low mileage car that I only drive on nice days. Last year I had the check engine light come on and it was shuttering and running like crap. Turns out it was my #6 plug that went bad. I replaced it and the car ran fine ever since. Here we are a year later and this morning I am getting the same symptoms out of no where. I have not put the diagnostic on it yet because it happened early this morning, but I would bet it is the same thing.

Now my question... Should I be running a different plug with My setup? I simple went with what a lot of guys were doing on here 6 years ago and am not sure that was my best option. At this point if it is a plug again I think I am just going to replace them all. Any recommendations or should I stay with what I have?
Old 10-18-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
I run NGK-TR7IX and have had ZERO issues with spark plug reliability. I change them every 25K (Whipple's recommendation).

-Scott

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:35 AM   #3
newagemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
I run NGK-TR7IX and have had ZERO issues with spark plug reliability. I change them every 25K (Whipple's recommendation).

-Scott
What type of gap did they recommend? I feel like I have been out of this so long I don't remember any of my original specs.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:57 AM   #4
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
I am on board with Bat Man Texas. Maybe your plugs are too cold or not gaped correctly. I know you don't have a Whipple, but as to the instructions from Whipple:
Remove all the stock spark plugs & replace with a NGK Iridium IX TR7IX. Gap the spark plug at .035”. Torque the spark plug to 11 foot pounds as per GM manual. NOTE: Apply a small amount of anti-seize on the threads."
More boost will require a tighter gap, like .030" or even less, but start at .035.
Also - never trust plug gaps out of the box. And old gas beyond 90 days is not a good thing, especially with a supercharger. I always try to run my fuel level down low for the winter and throw in fresh gas in the spring when I bring her out. Not a believer in stabilizer, but a little bit usually won't hurt.
hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:58 AM   #5
newagemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesster View Post
I am on board with Bat Man Texas. Maybe your plugs are too cold or not gaped correctly. I know you don't have a Whipple, but as to the instructions from Whipple:
Remove all the stock spark plugs & replace with a NGK Iridium IX TR7IX. Gap the spark plug at .035”. Torque the spark plug to 11 foot pounds as per GM manual. NOTE: Apply a small amount of anti-seize on the threads."
More boost will require a tighter gap, like .030" or even less, but start at .035.
Also - never trust plug gaps out of the box. And old gas beyond 90 days is not a good thing, especially with a supercharger. I always try to run my fuel level down low for the winter and throw in fresh gas in the spring when I bring her out. Not a believer in stabilizer, but a little bit usually won't hurt.
These are not my stock plus. They are the AC Delco Iridium (ZR1) plugs. I gaped them to .032. That was what was recommended at the time of the install.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #6
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Any update on your situation? What did you find? Did you swap to different spark plugs?

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:06 PM   #7
newagemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
Any update on your situation? What did you find? Did you swap to different spark plugs?
I had a diagnostic run on it and it came back that cylinder 3 was misfiring. I thought the easiest thing to do first would be just change the plug. Sure enough that was it. Car runs perfect now. I only changed the one. Come spring I'm going to change all of them out just to be safe.