Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
DeathShadowX

Drives: 2010 Transformer Edition Camaro
Old Gas/Fuel in tank

Hello this is my first post here.
My names Jim
Got a question about old fuel.
I have a 2010 Camaro and due to unforeseen circumstances my Camaro has been in storage for 5+ years sadly. The camaro itself has less then 2000 miles on it. But the storage was only ment to be for the winter and ended up being for 5+ years. So do due that it didn't get any long term storage like stabilizer for the gas put in. Or any other things done other then being put in the cover.
My question is what should i do about the Old gas and is there anything else i should look into before starting it? Would like to drive it this summer. But i am afraid to run it on the old gas especially since it no longer has a warranty because of how many years i have had it.
DeathShadowX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Use the quick disconnect on the fuel rail. DIsconnect it, throw some fuel line on it into a pail (or where ever you want the fuel to go) and then jump the fuel pump.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:11 PM   #3
Dylan1214

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS L99
^^Yep
MODS: GPI MAX Package ported and milled heads+(229/250,111 LSA),Johnson 2110 Lifters,BTR .660 Springs,CHE Trunnions,C5R chain,DSX Flex Fuel kit,LSA Injectors,ZL1 Fuel Pump,MAMO Ported MSD Intake manifold,BOWhite ported Throttle body,25% UDP,CAI Intake,Intake Scoop,Kooks 1 7/8 headers,Borla attak catback,Elite catch can,BMR Motor mounts,CircleD 5C 4000-4200 Torque converter,ADM trans cooler,Jannetty Trans dipstick,DSS Aluminum Driveshaft,3.91 Gears,Eaton TrueTrac,JRE Billet caps,BMR Trailing arms,BMR Toe rods,BMR rear sway bar,Pegasus Solid sub frame bushings,DSS 1,000HP Axles
Dylan1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:29 PM   #4
DeathShadowX

Okay that sounds easy enough. shouldnt have to worry about burning fuel pump out doing that? And does anyone by chance got a picture of the quick disconnect to make sure i got the right thing? Also when you say jump the fuel pump how would i go about doing that?
Old 06-26-2018, 10:03 PM   #5
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
60 psi of fuel spraying out a disconnected main line? Accident waiting to happen. That's how shops burn to the ground. Even if you get that done, what are you going to do with 15+ gallons of bad gas?

I'd flatbed it to a shop with a fuel cart. Better shops deal with that all the time and have a fuel cart with built in pump. And contracts with disposal companies to empty the cart to turn into waste oil fuel for furnaces. The cart pumps it out from the tank. All that crap is not sent through the car's pump/pump strainer/filter/line... Better to go straight to disposal.

While there, being a '10 it needs every fluid on board changed. With all new fluids, instruct the shop to remove fuel pump fuse and crank engine until it has oil pressure. Put fuse back, start engine and enjoy.

When I was a tech, I did a ton of bringing long term stored cars back to life. Make a list of every fluid the car has and start ticking them off. The fuel cart and disposal company is key though. No way would I mess with a full fuel tank without that.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:18 PM   #6
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Get a close inspection too of the belts and hoses. They are probably dry rotted. Plan on tires. Pirellis that have sat for a few years will be square and dried out. It's a shame to see low mileage tires that are junk... but they are. I drove a '10 once that had been sitting in a museum. Thump thump thump thump. It was like driving over 2x4s. Could not get the flat spots driven out. Took it to a tire shop... the tire insides were turning to crumbly dust. The tire shop tech said I can't believe you made it here.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
DeathShadowX

Sadly i cannot afford to take it and have it pumped out otherwise i would have.As for diconectting the main line if i did what they said it would have a nice long hose attached to it and straight into some shitty gas cans i got. I have no issues properly disposing of the fluids. And i already planned on changing all fluids.
The battery on the other hand needs replaced.
Belts and hoses will be check as well before it goes anywhere.
As for tires they look to be in Great condition. if they arn't once i pull it out then yes i would be looking into a new set.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:27 PM   #8
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
60 psi of fuel spraying out a disconnected main line? Accident waiting to happen.
It won't get 1psi because it has nothing to pressurize it against. It'll flow out nicely--I've done it many many times.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #9
DeathShadowX

How would i go about Jumping the fuel pump? I ask a friend with a scanner to do it but he is bed ridden at this time so cannot. I asked another guy and so far he has yet to show up.
It has less gas then i originally thought its got half way between a quarter and and half tank of 5 year old gas.
As for the hoses ect they look to be perfect as if i had just got it. can't see any dry rot on them at all.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #10
Matt8892(2)

Drives: Black camaro 2ss 45th
Every single fluid. New tires. Maybe a belt. Should be good to go I would guess
Matt8892(2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:14 PM   #11
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
There is some kind of plastic valve looking thing on the bottom of the fuel tank. Is this a drain?