Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 08-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Road America High Performance Driving School - Level 1

I'm pretty excited. Tonight I signed up for the Level 1 Road America High Performance driving school. It seems pretty reasonable at $350 for a 7 hour school with plenty of time in the car doing braking and handling drills. Any other fellow Camaro Enthusiasts interested? Check out the Road America website under Schools and maybe we can get a few Camaro5 members there representing!!

The class I signed up for is Friday October 10th from 9am to 4pm. Using my own vehicle. There are school provided vehicles for another $100 but the vehicles would be cruze's, Malibu's, impala's, and Sonics. I opted to just use my own 1LE for more added fun factor!!
Old 08-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Your going to love that track. Enjoy the day and post some video if you can.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
Nick S

I've been to the track before and gone on ride alongs. Never driven it myself. I think the level 1 school though is only going to be on the go cart track for some autocross stuff. The level 2 class I think then takes it out to the big track! I am planning on taking the level 2 class as well.

I don't have a go pro or anything so I don't think I'll be able to get any video. I wish I would be able to but I don't really have a way of getting any video. Sorry.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
There is nothing like learning to drive your own Camaro on a racetrack. Enjoy and drive that car like it's meant to be driven.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
There is nothing like learning to drive your own Camaro on a racetrack. Enjoy and drive that car like it's meant to be driven.
+1
Old 08-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
When you are done with that class and ready to get onto the actual track at RA check out these HPDE events at RA. It cost just a little bit more for the whole weekend of track time, about 4-5 hours of ontrack time over the weekend.

http://www.mvptracktime.com/
http://lapsincorporated.com/events-2
http://www.chinmotorsports.com/RoadAmerica.aspx

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
Nick S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
When you are done with that class and ready to get onto the actual track at RA check out these HPDE events at RA. It cost just a little bit more for the whole weekend of track time, about 4-5 hours of ontrack time over the weekend.

http://www.mvptracktime.com/
http://lapsincorporated.com/events-2
http://www.chinmotorsports.com/RoadAmerica.aspx

T.

Thanks for the links. I will be checking out more track day stuff after I've had enough proper instruction to feel more comfortable with my driving skills. I'm hoping to complete the 2 Road America courses this October and then possibly go to the Bondurant 3 day school sometime in February or March next year. Bondurant is not cheap but I think it will be well worth the experience. And another plus is Bondurant uses 2014 1LE's!! So I can learn even more in the same basic car I have already.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
I'm pretty excited. Tonight I signed up for the Level 1 Road America High Performance driving school. It seems pretty reasonable at $350 for a 7 hour school with plenty of time in the car doing braking and handling drills. Any other fellow Camaro Enthusiasts interested? Check out the Road America website under Schools and maybe we can get a few Camaro5 members there representing!!

The class I signed up for is Friday October 10th from 9am to 4pm. Using my own vehicle. There are school provided vehicles for another $100 but the vehicles would be cruze's, Malibu's, impala's, and Sonics. I opted to just use my own 1LE for more added fun factor!!
I've signed up for the October 10th class too and I'll be using my ZL1. Prerequisite to get into the level 2, HPDE stuff.

I don't expect this will be very hard on the car but was thinking of changing the brake fluid. Any recommendation?

Also going to buy a helmet tomorrow and was leaning toward an open face one like in the link. Is this OK?

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...oduct=2308-S10

Long term I just want to be able to drive safely on a track but don't see myself pushing hard. "Its not a race!"

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #9
Nick S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
I've signed up for the October 10th class too and I'll be using my ZL1. Prerequisite to get into the level 2, HPDE stuff.

I don't expect this will be very hard on the car but was thinking of changing the brake fluid. Any recommendation?

Also going to buy a helmet tomorrow and was leaning toward an open face one like in the link. Is this OK?

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...oduct=2308-S10

Long term I just want to be able to drive safely on a track but don't see myself pushing hard. "Its not a race!"
Cool!! It will be great to meet you.

For brake fluid I changed mine over to Motul RBF600. It's a very popular one people on this forum use. It's has one of the highest boiling points for a fluid that isn't outrageously expensive like the Castrol SRF. For this level one class I think the most track use it will see is on the Autocross course. No big track stuff for the level 1. So your factory filled brake fluid will likely be fine for the level 1 course. For level 2 you'd want to think about some higher temp brake fluid.

For a helmet I would check on e-bay. I bought a RaceQuip brand open face Snell SA2010 helmet for $125 or so. And it looks very similar to the bell brand in your link. The hardest part is picking the right size! If you've never had a helmet you might want to see if there is a store near by where you can try some on for size and fitment. I know there is another brand I found online last night as I was just browsing for fun called Pyrotect. Their prices seemed really reasonable as well. Open face is nice if you are only going to use it inside of a car. If you do anything like go karting or other activities that might require a full face helmet you might want to consider that route so you don't have to buy a helmet twice. I like my open face because it gives the most unobstructed vision and line of sight.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #10
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Thank for the tips Nick. I look forward to seeing you and your car on Oct 10th!

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote