Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-26-2017, 08:34 PM   #15
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
On my 10 SS I ran an Airaid that had the sound you are looking for. It was an open element, so it had that sound like flipping the top of the air cleaner back then.
OMG when I learned about flipping the air cleaner cover it was like the most amazing thing ever. I did this on my 77 Grand Prix, 82 Trans Am and several other cars that I'm not proud that I drove....

I will check out the Airaid, thanks for the info!!!
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:34 PM   #16
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
When I installed my Airaid I noticed my car sounded "meaner" especially at wot.
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:37 PM   #17
OHIOSS
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Your search is over. Almost as loud as a custom EXHAUST. GM's own "Z/28" CAI:
Attachment 875055
Thanks, I will check it out online and find one that I can buy.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:38 PM   #18
alrock

Drives: 2015 Camaro Convertible 2SS RS
Love my Airaid on my 15 SS. Adds a great sound. They are pretty well shielded from bringing in hot engine air, though of course not as well shielded as a closed box.
alrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:46 AM   #19
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
My first mod was a CAI, I didn't want to buy one that everyone else has and I thought they all had some kind of sound. I was hoping that I could hear the air going in and sound like a super charger. I thought someone posted that their CAI sounded a little like a super charger but I don't recall what brand it was. I did a search and I couldn't find the specific thread.

Russ
You might want to post this in the "rice" section.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #20
Dave@Sturgiscamarorally

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS
My Roto-Fab whistles like crazy... Ive checked every connection point to see if there was anything loose or misaligned but it was all tight. I can't hear it at idle but plain as day when I hit the gas on the road.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:50 PM   #21
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
I can here my K&N Typhon just fine.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:51 PM   #22
OHIOSS
Russ

Wow the Z28 CAI is over $400! I have a G5CR now and it's working just fine. I didn't think about the sound getting drowned out by my exhaust noise. I don't think I would be able to hear anything even with the Z28 CAI.

Thank you guys for the suggestions!

Russ
Old 05-31-2017, 10:54 PM   #23
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
Airaid + Borla Atak =
Attached Images

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:44 AM   #24
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
My first mod was a CAI, I didn't want to buy one that everyone else has and I thought they all had some kind of sound. I was hoping that I could hear the air going in and sound like a super charger. I thought someone posted that their CAI sounded a little like a super charger but I don't recall what brand it was. I did a search and I couldn't find the specific thread.
Russ
By definition CAI means Cold Air Intake ... to do that task a "good system", in my opinion, will isolate the intake as much as feasible from the engine bay and as a side affect will stop much of the intake "noise" from reaching the passenger compartment (but some noise will be noticeable from the front of the car where the air inlet is located). Installing CAI brings relatively cooler/denser less restricted airflow in to the engine to help performance. After reviewing many of the CAI systems available for the Camaro I've picked the Z28 Camaro OEM CAI for several reasons. It seals off/isolates the intake from the engine bay when the hood is closed. The inside of the hood has a layer of hood insulation that covers the top of the CAI box which has a continuous gasket that runs along the top margin. In addition, the snorkel tube is super heavy and thick walled (way more than most) as well as the airbox itself, helping with the insulation factor. All those fins make it look fast just sitting there ;-)

Most CAI systems I've reviewed do not isolate the airbox from the engine bay as well as the Z28 OEM unit does ... and those other units probably will allow more intake sounds to get through to the passenger compartment; if sound is one of your main goals I'd NOT recommend this system ... on the flip side ... if engine performance is your main goal I would recommend this system (the Z28 engineers did their homework):
p.s. ignore the yellow arrow, I also posted this pic in another forum thread.
Attached Images

2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 06-01-2017 at 07:09 AM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote