Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
onesimo3
Camaro Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Silver Camaro 2LT/RS
K&N Filter for Camaro 2013

I just bought the K&N Drop-in Filter for my 2013 Camaro 2LT but I was not able to install it since the Air-filter box does not close. Has anyone had similar experiences with the filter box not closing?

I was thinking of removing a little excess rubber to make it fit. Is this a good idea?
onesimo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
Cincy10SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Sounds like you're trying to insert it upside down; try flipping it over.
Traded-in car: K&N Typhoon intake, JBA Shorty headers, Solo mid-pipes/hi-flow cats, GMPP Track Pack axle-back, Vmax ported TB, Billet Custom catch can, billet tensioner pulley, Hines Hex Vents, Z/TA rear spoiler, ProCustom headlight covers, Drake black/riveted quarter window covers, GM satin fuel door, chrome and brushed caps/covers under the hood, EmblemPros underhood bowtie & fuel rail "Camaro" plates, chrome "SS" door kick-panels, chrome trunk latch plate & strut rods, Street Scene lower grille ducts w/LED lights, front bowtie-delete, Yates Performance pedals, 35% tint, etc.
Cincy10SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
onesimo3
Camaro Enthusiast

Nope, I know I'm trying to put it in the way it's supposed to go, but it still won't close.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Is it the correct part number?
Old 06-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
onesimo3
Camaro Enthusiast

yes, correct part number 33-2434.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
take it back and get your money back. k&ns are all hype....

they can and do mess with your mass air sensor...

just saying...
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
compare the thickness/size with the factory filter.

Make sure to get the air box top into the 3 slots on the left side before attempting to seat the clips on the right side.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Never had this problem... I've tried K&N, Green, S&B, AFe, Stock, ZL1, and AEM brand filters in the stock box, and they all close.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
Mine was also tight fitting. I used a little piece of hard rubber in one of the box clips to keep it closed. I imagin once the rubber gets warm it will be more pliable and seal better. Not a big deal. I actually replaced mine with a CAI in less than 100 miles (bought the K&N over the Winter) so I'm looking for someone who would like a filter...cheap.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
onesimo3
Camaro Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
Never had this problem... I've tried K&N, Green, S&B, AFe, Stock, ZL1, and AEM brand filters in the stock box, and they all close.
Might it possibly be that the 2013 filter box is smaller? It literally broke the tabs that lock the filterbox and yes, i tried to fit it as best as I could but it just wouldn't fit.

Anyways, I have trimmed the rubber framing since then to make it fit. So my question is... Is this a bad idea?
Old 08-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #11
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Just wanted to bring this back up again with some info that hopefully some will find useful...

I'm thinking it's quite possible there there has been some kind of small change to the 2013 airbox that will not allow some aftermarket drop in filters to fit, as this thread was originally started for...

Today, I received a returned S&B filter for the same reason, it did not fit into the airbox of a 2013 ZL1... I have previously sold this exact same filter to a customer with a 2012 ZL1 and he reported no problems installing it, and was happy with it...

I decided to try one of the used S&B filters I have in my 2013 LFX airbox, and sure enough, it did not want to latch closed as reported above with the K&N... I went and took the filter for a 2010 airbox I have, and it closed with no problems at all. Tried the 13 again, no go... I do have a 2012 airbox I have not unpackaged yet, but I will break it out tomorrow and try to confirm that it is a 2013 change, and (hopefully) isn't a 2012 problem as well.

I will also try to dig up an AFe filter, and K&N filter I have as well to see if they fit the 12 and 13 airbox.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
lacpac how come you switched out the k and N for CAI?
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
Kevinw. Three reasons for the switch. 1. Wife likes the sound of the cold air intake when she gets on the throttle. 2. I have K&N drop in filters in all my cars but I'm concerned about the quality of filteration. There seems to be a lot of pro/con postings. I've never had a Mass air Flow problem and I've reoliled heavy before by accident 3. I wanted something that would filter as well as a stock filter without the restriction. Although the kits are not as pretty (They look more stock) the Volant CAI uses a Donaldson Power Core Filter (Donaldson is well known for air filteration in Industrial & Truck Applications). This filter with the CAI boasts increased HP, has the sound I like, and filters better than the stock OEM filter. You can read up on the Power Core Filter on the Donaldson web site. Filter can go 50-100k before cleaning or changing. Also, my drop in K&N was extremely tight. Try reinstalling when the engine is warm and just works it. I also had to put a rubber spacer near one of the tabs to keep the air box closed. I hope this helps.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:45 AM   #14
Blue Ray

Drives: 2017 LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesimo3 View Post
I just bought the K&N Drop-in Filter for my 2013 Camaro 2LT but I was not able to install it since the Air-filter box does not close. Has anyone had similar experiences with the filter box not closing?

I was thinking of removing a little excess rubber to make it fit. Is this a good idea?

Same problem on my 2013 1LT. Dealership said that it did not fit also. They could not get it in. I went home and got it in but had one heck of a time. I am watching closely to make sure that it does not pop open while driving but I think it is safe. Thanks for your post bringing this out.
Blue Ray is offline   Reply With Quote