Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #15
TIE FIGHTR
Cousin of Foo

Drives: 2010 2LT RS BLACK/BEIGE

'I wish I was the full moon shining off a Camaro's hood' ~ Pearl Jam Wishlist
Old 11-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #16
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
If they did that I would certainly go for it without violating the Warranty.....
Old 11-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #17
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
Can anyone go into the dealership and get this tune, and not violate the warranty?
NO, they hired a tuner to put a ecm/tcm flash in the car, warranty is void if gm finds out. just because it was done at the dealer means nothing
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
Old 11-26-2009, 05:59 PM   #18
aldaran

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS/RS
I assume if you get a tune and don't mention it on the site, the moment you take it in for service, they will be able to tell from the ECM/PCM correct?
Old 11-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #19
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Also on a side note I have it from a reliable source that some dealers send people out to the local dragstrips looking for new cars and if they see them drag racing them they get the VIN numbers and if the car comes in for an engine/drivetrain problem.. the warranty may not cover it any more....

It's your car do with it what you will but all I am saying don't be surprised if you have a problem and you have done any of these things your warranty may not be valid any more...
Old 11-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #20
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldaran View Post
I assume if you get a tune and don't mention it on the site, the moment you take it in for service, they will be able to tell from the ECM/PCM correct?
Yes, if you tune the PCM and take it in for service they will know.

There is some speculation that you can returt the PCM to stock and they won't know... (I don't recomend this). Still others speculate there is a "counter" that records how many time the PCM has been flashed. Meaning GM would know you'd tuned you car wether it was returned to stock or not...

Old 11-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #21
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Old 12-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #22
montej23

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
Good Post, the internet can work for ya and against ya.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #23
Easy Go

Drives: LLT MV5 B34 N65... period.
To pour gas on this fire, the kind people at On Star have the capability of interpreting codes when service lights pop on. In my last car, I was unable to restart the car for several minutes after it stalled in the parking lot. Within those 2-3 minutes, On Star was able to read the specific code and I was into a 3-way phone call with the service department down the street. They knew at the dealership what was wrong with my car before I even arrived.

It is certainly feasible that On Star can communicate all sorts of things (whether the driver knows it or not).

Knowing this, it certainly seems possible that On Star could, at any time, relay information to GM that some drivers might rather be kept private.

Now... where did I put my tinfoil hat...
Old 12-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #24
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
My question is after watching the below video (watch the WHOLE VIDEO) and seeing how tunes are supposed to violate the warranty, here is a brand new SS being delivered and at the dealership, where the in house techs are doing a TUNE that is increasing the HP.

Its at 2:30 min into the video

http://www.youtube.com/user/SpookTechSpyShop#p/f/2/nt51wPJaocI

Can anyone go into the dealership and get this tune, and not violate the warranty?
Well...

In that situation, if there is a problem where the dealer DOES NOT have to send any computer snap shot info to GM, AND...AND, you take the car into this dealer ONLY, there would not be a problem. But, if your tranny goes, the engine blows, etc and you take your car into this dealership where it was purchased from and GM has to get involved? I would not expect GM to honor any powertrain warranty. This is when the dealership would have to step up and take the hit for any repairs.

There are dealers who will offer this. But, they will also stand by that ANY and ALL changes/work must be done through them.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #25
terryzx

Drives: 2010 Grand Sport M6 Black Vette
Would buying some other after-market warranty allow you to do a tune and keep your warranty?
Old 12-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #26
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Well...

In that situation, if there is a problem where the dealer DOES NOT have to send any computer snap shot info to GM, AND...AND, you take the car into this dealer ONLY, there would not be a problem. But, if your tranny goes, the engine blows, etc and you take your car into this dealership where it was purchased from and GM has to get involved? I would not expect GM to honor any powertrain warranty. This is when the dealership would have to step up and take the hit for any repairs.

There are dealers who will offer this. But, they will also stand by that ANY and ALL changes/work must be done through them.
I would say if you got the tune at the dealership, you better get it in writing from that dealership that they will honor the warrenty, even if GM denys the claim... they did the tune they should be held responsible...
Old 12-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #27
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
I would say if you got the tune at the dealership, you better get it in writing from that dealership that they will honor the warrenty, even if GM denys the claim... they did the tune they should be held responsible...
Amen to that...
Old 12-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #28
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryzx View Post
Would buying some other after-market warranty allow you to do a tune and keep your warranty?
Good question for someone from some place like Warranty Direct.

I had an aftermarket warranty though them (but no tune stuff...all stock).

Closed Thread