Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-24-2022, 01:36 PM   #15
KOIVUN 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Wow, ouch... Good luck with it. Hope you can get it repaired with the parts you need.
Collision shop said for the bumper to come in would be more towards the end of july :( Not sure what the situation with the hood will be... A new OEM hood i'd think would have the matte wrap on it already, but the shop said they'd have to have a company come out and match the color of the wrap and everything so idrk, also estimated $1700 for the hood alone? damn. thankfully i have insurance but still damn.

I doubt there's any frame damage since the radiator (condenser?) wasn't even touched, but the bike did hit at the mounting point of the crash bar so i'm not sure how much energy it was able to absorb.

the front bumper i assume comes with the fascia, all my lights seemed to still be functional so that's good especially since i have the RS package meaning to find replacement lights would be harder i presume.

gonna have to get a loaner for now

Black 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Stock... for now
NW Chicago Suburbs
KOIVUN 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 01:42 PM   #16
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
Hood isn’t difficult at all as there are plenty of used ones available if you wanted to go that route (I would). Same with the bumper itself; however, the 1LE splitter is impossible to find, so that’s either aftermarket or paying a crazy amount for used. It will NOT come with the bumper as it’s a standard SS bumper.
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:41 AM   #17
KOIVUN 1

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
Hood isn’t difficult at all as there are plenty of used ones available if you wanted to go that route (I would). Same with the bumper itself; however, the 1LE splitter is impossible to find, so that’s either aftermarket or paying a crazy amount for used. It will NOT come with the bumper as it’s a standard SS bumper.
it's currently in a collision shop, insurance is involved
going with a used hood while it may be easier, i'm not sure how doable that is for the shop themselves to do. they're obviously going to want to go with a brand new hood so they can get the bill as high as possible.

i gotta call them on monday; i found a bumper for sale about 4 hours from me. same color, the car had the RS package (i'm not sure if that changes anything cosmetically on the bumper). My hope is that they allow me to get that bumper and have them install it. Otherwise they said late july would be estimated arrival of bumper parts

Black 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Stock... for now
NW Chicago Suburbs
Old 06-25-2022, 04:18 PM   #18
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

It’s your car - you determine what parts are used. If the shop won’t work with you then find another shop.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:41 PM   #19
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
It’s your car - you determine what parts are used. If the shop won’t work with you then find another shop.
^^^ This. If you can save some money on the cost of the parts, they should be good on that. A lot of shops use what they call LKQ, (like kind and quality) and they would be used parts off a donor car. Been there and seen that back when. Like demon stated, it's your car and you make the calls, not them.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:32 AM   #20
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
If you supply the parts and later on there is an issue its on you. If they supply the parts and there is an issue its on them. Something to think about when weighing your options.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 11:55 AM   #21
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

After looking at the video again, I’d venture you could probably just fix it yourself. These bumpers and hoods go on and off so easy. From the looks of it, not much underneath looks touched. Here’s mine when I pulled the engine and transmission - you can see there’s not much there. If it were me, I’d source used bumper and hood that’s already “weathered” and matches the fenders and doors rather than having a shop paint and blend stuff. You’ll get all the insurance money for the body shop estimate, so pocket all the savings and buy some mods!
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2022, 12:41 AM   #22
KOIVUN 1

Quote:
After looking at the video again, I’d venture you could probably just fix it yourself. These bumpers and hoods go on and off so easy. From the looks of it, not much underneath looks touched. Here’s mine when I pulled the engine and transmission - you can see there’s not much there. If it were me, I’d source used bumper and hood that’s already “weathered” and matches the fenders and doors rather than having a shop paint and blend stuff. You’ll get all the insurance money for the body shop estimate, so pocket all the savings and buy some mods!
i'd consider it, i'd have to 1) wait for the inspection to even be done -hopefully sometime this week-, 2) see the availability for every single part that broke, and 3) commit and tell the shop i'll do it myself

i've been able to find a bumper for sale, the hood is a little harder to find
i don't think the headlights are damaged, but i know for a fact a good bit of the fascia in and out has been cracked. I picked up a piece of it off the road before they came and swept everything up. i found it in a diagram but can't seem to remember the number or name oh well

it'd be a big decision to make, i'd just have to make sure that all the parts that broke i can get a replacement for. bumper is the biggest thing since i think i could get away with no hood for a bit, also since i've already found it i'd be 50% done. all the brackets and fascia and trim pieces though that's my worry that i'll miss some

Black 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Stock... for now
NW Chicago Suburbs
Old 07-25-2022, 02:03 PM   #23
KOIVUN 1

so it turned out to be nothing mechanical. when i got my new tires put on, it seems that a 1/4 oz. wheel weight found its way inside my RR tire. at low speeds it would fall off the tire inside and bounce off the barrel of the wheel, creating the noise i was hearing.

It led me to get a replacement kit for the rear drum brakes and upon removal of the wheel i could feel something bouncing around inside. Silver lining though is that i found out that my e brake wasn't adjusted properly as even the last click was barely enough to hold the camaro from rolling away. so i got that adjusted, now 4-5 clicks up and it's tight.

anyways problem solved. now to eliminate the clutch chatter (maybe?), a/c clutch noise, alternator whine, driveline slack, and probably more.

anyone have an acs cf 1le splitter i can buy?

Black 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Stock... for now
NW Chicago Suburbs
Old 07-25-2022, 02:50 PM   #24
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOIVUN 1 View Post
so it turned out to be nothing mechanical. when i got my new tires put on, it seems that a 1/4 oz. wheel weight found its way inside my RR tire. at low speeds it would fall off the tire inside and bounce off the barrel of the wheel, creating the noise i was hearing.

It led me to get a replacement kit for the rear drum brakes and upon removal of the wheel i could feel something bouncing around inside. Silver lining though is that i found out that my e brake wasn't adjusted properly as even the last click was barely enough to hold the camaro from rolling away. so i got that adjusted, now 4-5 clicks up and it's tight.

anyways problem solved. now to eliminate the clutch chatter (maybe?), a/c clutch noise, alternator whine, driveline slack, and probably more.

anyone have an acs cf 1le splitter i can buy?
Wow, that's a new one! Haven't heard that happening yet, but seems as though it can happen. Glad you figured it out and it wasn't mechanical in nature! Thanks for letting us know.