Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2022, 04:26 PM   #57
1JEWLDSSRS


 
1JEWLDSSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 7,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkeen View Post
Hi all , I got real curious after seeing all of this ,as I installed the Smith Brothers bushing kit in my 416 stroker. So I pulled them and cked them out ,all were worn even with about .012 wear groove at the bottom with very noticeable wobble, and I have less than 5000 mi on the build. No visible metallic in the oil , trunions were just starting to show wear .
That's not acceptable to me ,so I went with the BTR's TK002 kit that has the bearing steel sleeves pressed on with oil feed holes and the big side washers . This looks like a good set up, we will see.
Well crap man! I guess I really need to get mine to the shop and get the Smith's out for a look see and replacement, since I have 27k on mine!! I haven't been driving my Camaro much since the gas is so high, and I do like to cruise around a bit, but damn it is expensive, so she has been covered up and only goes to local shows and back home. Guess I better get on the ball and get them swapped out.
__________________
TSP STAGE 3 CAM,231/246 @112 LSA 614/641 LIFT, CIRCLE D 5C-4200-4500 CONVERTER,LOD INTAKE.CORSA EXHAUST. DSS 1 PC DS. PEGASUS SOLID CRADLE MOUNTS. 486RWHP/475RWTQ.LOTS MORE.
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:24 PM   #58
1JEWLDSSRS


 
1JEWLDSSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 7,596
Ok guys, I finally was able to order my CHE's and got them this afternoon, along with my new 160 t-stat to replace the Mishimoto 169 that I had one fail already, and so did acammer last time I chatted with him. His gasket on his came apart and jammed it in the open position I think he said, so gonna replace it with the 160 like he did. Always wanted to do that. Now I just have to make time to get the Camaro up to the shop to get the trunnions swapped out, and see how my 27k mile Smith Brothers are looking!!
__________________
TSP STAGE 3 CAM,231/246 @112 LSA 614/641 LIFT, CIRCLE D 5C-4200-4500 CONVERTER,LOD INTAKE.CORSA EXHAUST. DSS 1 PC DS. PEGASUS SOLID CRADLE MOUNTS. 486RWHP/475RWTQ.LOTS MORE.
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:43 PM   #59
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant
 
acammer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Weedsport, NY
Posts: 2,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Ok guys, I finally was able to order my CHE's and got them this afternoon, along with my new 160 t-stat to replace the Mishimoto 169 that I had one fail already, and so did acammer last time I chatted with him. His gasket on his came apart and jammed it in the open position I think he said, so gonna replace it with the 160 like he did. Always wanted to do that. Now I just have to make time to get the Camaro up to the shop to get the trunnions swapped out, and see how my 27k mile Smith Brothers are looking!!
Looking forward to your results!
__________________
GPI Max Package 2.0 - 551whp of NA noise, RPM, and smiles for days.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:45 PM   #60
1JEWLDSSRS


 
1JEWLDSSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 7,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Looking forward to your results!
Thanks sir, me too. Kinda curious how they are going to look at 27k miles, and everyone else is less milage. I don't have any valve train noise, but that doesn't mean anything, so we shall see.
__________________
TSP STAGE 3 CAM,231/246 @112 LSA 614/641 LIFT, CIRCLE D 5C-4200-4500 CONVERTER,LOD INTAKE.CORSA EXHAUST. DSS 1 PC DS. PEGASUS SOLID CRADLE MOUNTS. 486RWHP/475RWTQ.LOTS MORE.
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:52 PM   #61
1JEWLDSSRS


 
1JEWLDSSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 7,596
Alright guys and gals, finally got my Camaro up to the shop yesterday so we could swap out the Smith Brother trunnions for the CHE trunnion kit. All I have to say is, man am I lucky I didn't wait any longer,and took it really easy driving her! Kinda of wished I would have done it when we did the spring refresh, but we all didn't know about the trunnions until after that. These Smith Brothers are TRASHED after 27k miles!! We inspected the rockers for wear on the ends that touch the valves and the pushrod cups, and they all looked good, so no problem there, also the tips of the valves looked pretty good as well, no abnormal wear there. Pushing the Smith's out wasn't too bad, once we got them out is was time for inspection. Holding the rockers between your fingers they were pretty loose, you could wiggle them quite a bit up and down and all around, that wasn't cool. So we labeled them all as to where they came from before we took them apart, then we disassembled them, the bushings themselves wobbled quite a bit on the trunnion itself after removal from the rockers, that wasn't cool either. Removing the bushing from the trunnion proved to be quite a task on just about ALL the trunnions as when we got them off and looked inside them, a couple we had to force off, there was a good sized ridge worn into the bushing from it sitting on the trinnion where the oil grove was cut into the trunnion, wow, ALL of them. It wore that much material away from the bushing. Most of the really bad ones for whatever reason were the exhaust valve trunnions seems like. I'm really surprised as loose as they were my engine didn't sound like a sewing machine and I didn't have an issue with anything! Thank God for small favors!! In the pics I have, if you enlarge them some you will also see where the trunnion itself was also worn quite a bit. So yea I'm a firm believer that these items SHOULD BE refreshed along with the valve springs at 20k, no later for safety sake of your engine. And yea I used to push the rev limit above 7000 a lot. Looking at my cam card, my lift @ 1.7 on the intake side is .640,, and the exhaust side is .615 @ 1.7..Lobe lift on intake is .376, and exhaust is .332.. Not sure if any of that info is useful, but I listed it anyway. All I can say, is we were pretty lucky, and now I know where the "safe" area, mileage wise to refresh them.Hope all this info is what you guys and gals need to be safe with your valve train.. Good luck all!!!

Name:  Trun1.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  374.3 KB

Name:  Trun 2.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  264.3 KB

Don't wait too long!!
__________________
TSP STAGE 3 CAM,231/246 @112 LSA 614/641 LIFT, CIRCLE D 5C-4200-4500 CONVERTER,LOD INTAKE.CORSA EXHAUST. DSS 1 PC DS. PEGASUS SOLID CRADLE MOUNTS. 486RWHP/475RWTQ.LOTS MORE.
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:36 PM   #62
tartagliazl1
 
tartagliazl1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Rochester, New york
Posts: 504
I’m glad you got to them before something terrible happened. Glad i went with the Che.
__________________
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 1-7/8” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ AFCO with fans/ prospeed tank/ fic 850/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:51 PM   #63
1JEWLDSSRS


 
1JEWLDSSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 7,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartagliazl1 View Post
I’m glad you got to them before something terrible happened. Glad i went with the Che.
Yea, me too. Funny, well not so funny, my tech I was working with while we were doing mine told me that the guy who lives next door to him was also installing a CHE trunnion kit to replace his failed BTR ones he had in. He wasn't so lucky, he had a rocker bind up and bent a pushrod.
__________________
TSP STAGE 3 CAM,231/246 @112 LSA 614/641 LIFT, CIRCLE D 5C-4200-4500 CONVERTER,LOD INTAKE.CORSA EXHAUST. DSS 1 PC DS. PEGASUS SOLID CRADLE MOUNTS. 486RWHP/475RWTQ.LOTS MORE.
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:48 PM   #64
Tajefe Couple

 
Tajefe Couple's Avatar
 
Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,455
Okay getting nervous now. Was contemplating new springs, now just going to plan on both this winter. Appreciate everyone and thanks for the update Jewld!
__________________
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
Old Skool
Tajefe Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:29 AM   #65
Ashen 6.2

 
Ashen 6.2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Alright guys and gals, finally got my Camaro up to the shop yesterday so we could swap out the Smith Brother trunnions for the CHE trunnion kit. All I have to say is, man am I lucky I didn't wait any longer,and took it really easy driving her! Kinda of wished I would have done it when we did the spring refresh, but we all didn't know about the trunnions until after that. These Smith Brothers are TRASHED after 27k miles!! We inspected the rockers for wear on the ends that touch the valves and the pushrod cups, and they all looked good, so no problem there, also the tips of the valves looked pretty good as well, no abnormal wear there. Pushing the Smith's out wasn't too bad, once we got them out is was time for inspection. Holding the rockers between your fingers they were pretty loose, you could wiggle them quite a bit up and down and all around, that wasn't cool. So we labeled them all as to where they came from before we took them apart, then we disassembled them, the bushings themselves wobbled quite a bit on the trunnion itself after removal from the rockers, that wasn't cool either. Removing the bushing from the trunnion proved to be quite a task on just about ALL the trunnions as when we got them off and looked inside them, a couple we had to force off, there was a good sized ridge worn into the bushing from it sitting on the trinnion where the oil grove was cut into the trunnion, wow, ALL of them. It wore that much material away from the bushing. Most of the really bad ones for whatever reason were the exhaust valve trunnions seems like. I'm really surprised as loose as they were my engine didn't sound like a sewing machine and I didn't have an issue with anything! Thank God for small favors!! In the pics I have, if you enlarge them some you will also see where the trunnion itself was also worn quite a bit. So yea I'm a firm believer that these items SHOULD BE refreshed along with the valve springs at 20k, no later for safety sake of your engine. And yea I used to push the rev limit above 7000 a lot. Looking at my cam card, my lift @ 1.7 on the intake side is .640,, and the exhaust side is .615 @ 1.7..Lobe lift on intake is .376, and exhaust is .332.. Not sure if any of that info is useful, but I listed it anyway. All I can say, is we were pretty lucky, and now I know where the "safe" area, mileage wise to refresh them.Hope all this info is what you guys and gals need to be safe with your valve train.. Good luck all!!!

Attachment 1103126

Attachment 1103127

Don't wait too long!!

Thanks for reporting back what you found Wayne & glad it was on the "preventative" side!!
__________________
2014 Camaro SS L99, Ashen Grey w/Black Leather - Build thread - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491561

Mods - GPI Tuned (Ben), GPI SS3 PD Cam, GPI Ported Heads, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump, DSX Aux Pump & Flex Fuel, NW 103 TB, ID 1050's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, RPM 5” CAI, Kooks Headers, Solo Cat Back, BMR Motor Mounts, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Aluminum Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, MRR228 & VMS Drag Wheels.
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:47 AM   #66
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant
 
acammer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Weedsport, NY
Posts: 2,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Alright guys and gals, finally got my Camaro up to the shop yesterday so we could swap out the Smith Brother trunnions for the CHE trunnion kit....

Don't wait too long!!
Good stuff, thanks for sharing. Honestly, that doesn't look too bad. Worn a bit deeper than mine, but you had another 7,000 miles on them. In the car, under valve spring load, those weren't going to be moving around too much. Worn, and ready to be replaced, yes, definitely - but I don't see them dangerously close to a failure.

As we've all discussed in here, I think treating them like a wear item is the way to look at bushed trunnions. 20k inspection, and then routinely at 5k or so after that. Pull a few valve springs to test pressures, and inspect a few trunnions.
__________________
GPI Max Package 2.0 - 551whp of NA noise, RPM, and smiles for days.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:15 AM   #67
1JEWLDSSRS


 
1JEWLDSSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 7,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple View Post
Okay getting nervous now. Was contemplating new springs, now just going to plan on both this winter. Appreciate everyone and thanks for the update Jewld!
Hey you're welcome! Just don't NOT change them out, as little as it cost to do it, it is great insurance at this point. Being as the bronze is a softer material, it's kind of like a fillet knife, the sharp edge is put on and every time you have to hone it back to sharpness, you take a little bit of material off the edge, after a while the material is down to the softer material and won't hold an edge, and wears very quickly.
__________________
TSP STAGE 3 CAM,231/246 @112 LSA 614/641 LIFT, CIRCLE D 5C-4200-4500 CONVERTER,LOD INTAKE.CORSA EXHAUST. DSS 1 PC DS. PEGASUS SOLID CRADLE MOUNTS. 486RWHP/475RWTQ.LOTS MORE.
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:18 AM   #68
1JEWLDSSRS


 
1JEWLDSSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 7,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen 6.2 View Post
Thanks for reporting back what you found Wayne & glad it was on the "preventative" side!!
Oh hell yeah man!! Me too. You're welcome. Nice to be able to help out with these kind of things. Soooo glad it wasn't any worse. But now we all know what to expect, and hope everyone pays attention. Like they say, better to be safe than sorry!!! I got lucky, no doubt...
__________________
TSP STAGE 3 CAM,231/246 @112 LSA 614/641 LIFT, CIRCLE D 5C-4200-4500 CONVERTER,LOD INTAKE.CORSA EXHAUST. DSS 1 PC DS. PEGASUS SOLID CRADLE MOUNTS. 486RWHP/475RWTQ.LOTS MORE.

Last edited by 1JEWLDSSRS; 07-07-2022 at 06:02 PM.
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:24 AM   #69
1JEWLDSSRS


 
1JEWLDSSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 7,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Good stuff, thanks for sharing. Honestly, that doesn't look too bad. Worn a bit deeper than mine, but you had another 7,000 miles on them. In the car, under valve spring load, those weren't going to be moving around too much. Worn, and ready to be replaced, yes, definitely - but I don't see them dangerously close to a failure.

As we've all discussed in here, I think treating them like a wear item is the way to look at bushed trunnions. 20k inspection, and then routinely at 5k or so after that. Pull a few valve springs to test pressures, and inspect a few trunnions.
Yes sir, you're welcome. I guess I don't know too much about these bushed trunnions and wear, but to me they looked "trashed". But what do I know, just glad to have them out and replaced. Thanks Andrew for all your help with everything and getting me on the band wagon to swap them out for better.
__________________
TSP STAGE 3 CAM,231/246 @112 LSA 614/641 LIFT, CIRCLE D 5C-4200-4500 CONVERTER,LOD INTAKE.CORSA EXHAUST. DSS 1 PC DS. PEGASUS SOLID CRADLE MOUNTS. 486RWHP/475RWTQ.LOTS MORE.
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 03:52 PM   #70
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd
 
Badbubba's Avatar
 
Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,198
Piece of mind knowing these components will last 20k miles. I won't even bother with inspecting for further use. Just replace.
__________________
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.