Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-20-2018, 01:33 PM   #57
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Those who are saying the 6th gen is just a altered 5th gen need to get their eyes checked. If it was close to my 5 th gen style wise then maybe I would buy one. They tried to update the look and failed.....great performance numbers but not much to look at. Its not popular and 3 years into production its not getting better...sugar coat it anyway you want...its not happening with the current model. Maybe the 7th gen will be a somewhere in the middle of 5th gen styling and 6th gen performance.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #58
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Those who are saying the 6th gen is just a altered 5th gen need to get their eyes checked. If it was close to my 5 th gen style wise then maybe I would buy one. They tried to update the look and failed.....great performance numbers but not much to look at. Its not popular and 3 years into production its not getting better...sugar coat it anyway you want...its not happening with the current model. Maybe the 7th gen will be a somewhere in the middle of 5th gen styling and 6th gen performance.
And if the 6th gen looked like the 5th gen I wouldn't have bought one

Not a fan of the 5th gen retro style. Too big and boring.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #59
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
As I posted earlier imho those looking for a bargain straight line performer like it or not the A10 5.0 (2018) is hands down the best bang for the buck period. A base car is 31k and outperforms (straight line) the 2016+ss stock for stock. Add f.i for 6-8k and you are 650+. Don't give me the no warranty argument or get a zl1 bc there is no debate for those who are not brand loyal and want a fast decent looking car but don't give 2 shits abt creature comfort gadgets. if money and a budget was an issue for me I sure as Hell would have bought a 5.0 A10 (although I prefer manuals) threw on a roush blower and been done for under 40k with a tune pushing 650 +/- rwhp. Not everyone is in a position spend 40k on a car then modify it for another 9-13k (ss) to reach those numbers, or spend 60k+ on a base Zl1. It's not rocket science, it's mathematics
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #60
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Unfair. Camry is the one that made the jump to the ultra sporty look(when so equipped) well after the release of the 2016 Camaro style. So to say the Camaro looks like a Camry (it doesn't...I don't even know how you made that leap) isn't fair to the Camaro. No "disaster" in that respect at all.

The 2019 Camaro is even farther away from the look of the Camry.

That said, I think the new Camry, at least from the side and the rear, is pretty nice looking. Its aggressive, especially with the black roof option. You can't go much more aggressive than that without looking ricer.

Ditto! That new Camry XSE is amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #61
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laststandard View Post
And if the 6th gen looked like the 5th gen I wouldn't have bought one

Not a fan of the 5th gen retro style. Too big and boring.
See where we are going with this . Looks are subjective. After owning a 5th gen for a long time now I can honestly say you are definitely in the minority regarding your view of the 5th gen. My to big and boring 5th gen recieved compliments all day at the drag strip
last Saturday about how nice a car it is. Not to mention numerous thumbs up and "nice car " compliments I get often whenever I drive it. Not to shabby for a design that is somewhere around 13 or more years old. The 6th gen will never have the same affect regardless of opinions. People just like the retro style ..muscle car look of the 5th gen. Maybe the 7th gen will be a bit of both and do better.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #62
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
As I posted earlier imho those looking for a bargain straight line performer like it or not the A10 5.0 (2018) is hands down the best bang for the buck period. A base car is 31k and outperforms (straight line) the 2016+ss stock for stock. Add f.i for 6-8k and you are 650+. Don't give me the no warranty argument or get a zl1 bc there is no debate for those who are not brand loyal and want a fast decent looking car but don't give 2 shits abt creature comfort gadgets. if money and a budget was an issue for me I sure as Hell would have bought a 5.0 A10 (although I prefer manuals) threw on a roush blower and been done for under 40k with a tune pushing 650 +/- rwhp. Not everyone is in a position spend 40k on a car then modify it for another 9-13k (ss) to reach those numbers, or spend 60k+ on a base Zl1. It's not rocket science, it's mathematics
So we're supposed to sell our Camaros and buy Mustangs? When I'm ready for another car it'll be a Zl1.

The Mustang is one big problem on wheels with inferior hardware and engineering. Because the 5.0 can tolerate boost 'sometimes' without blowing up is not enough to take a chance on buying a lemon.

And the PP2 GT is Ford's pathetic attempt to compete with the 1Le when in reality, a regular SS would survive on a track much longer.

A base Mustang deserves to be 31k and not a penny higher.

Even the 2019s are already suffering. I'm not a glutton for punishment.

And the Mustang is stale looking with that big gaping hole up front. To each his own.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:21 PM   #63
torqueaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
See where we are going with this . Looks are subjective. After owning a 5th gen for a long time now I can honestly say you are definitely in the minority regarding your view of the 5th gen. My to big and boring 5th gen recieved compliments all day at the drag strip
last Saturday about how nice a car it is. Not to mention numerous thumbs up and "nice car " compliments I get often whenever I drive it. Not to shabby for a design that is somewhere around 13 or more years old. The 6th gen will never have the same affect regardless of opinions. People just like the retro style ..muscle car look of the 5th gen. Maybe the 7th gen will be a bit of both and do better.
Really? I get nothing but complements. Beautiful is often used to describe my 6th gen. The 5th gen is nice, but it has run its course. The 5th gen is like Pamela Anderson today. It was once stunning, but now is a little long in the tooth.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:55 PM   #64
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
So we're supposed to sell our Camaros and buy Mustangs? When I'm ready for another car it'll be a Zl1.

The Mustang is one big problem on wheels with inferior hardware and engineering. Because the 5.0 can tolerate boost 'sometimes' without blowing up is not enough to take a chance on buying a lemon.

And the PP2 GT is Ford's pathetic attempt to compete with the 1Le when in reality, a regular SS would survive on a track much longer.

A base Mustang deserves to be 31k and not a penny higher.

Even the 2019s are already suffering. I'm not a glutton for punishment.

And the Mustang is stale looking with that big gaping hole up front. To each his own.
You missed my point sir. What I am saying is Those simply looking for a strong but affordable performer the 5.0 wins that fight. Do I drive a 5.0? No I have what's in my current garage on my signature bc I'm fortunate enough to be in different financial position where "to a degree" budget is not an issue car wise. For those (mainly us millennials) money is an object and when you want best bang for buck the 5.0 A10 is the ticket as of now. Ok think about it, why is it the best selling by far out of the 3? They have their issues with the crappy mt82 manual transmission and most everyone knows to run from those (any year) but the 6r80's overall are pretty stout. The looks are subjective and I won't comment there (some might like the look better, others might hate it). I personally prefer the look of the ss to the 5.0. As for the pp yes those are not all that at all. On a track setting the ss is clearly the better car. I'm talking a poor mans fun car brand new straight line performance on a budget. They love boost and trump anything in it's class for less $. I am simply stating the obvious and drive mainly all gm cars except my 2018 f150 4x4 so there is zero bias here.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:23 PM   #65
torqueaddict

Quote:
You missed my point sir. What I am saying is Those simply looking for a strong but affordable performer the 5.0 wins that fight. Do I drive a 5.0? No I have what's in my current garage on my signature bc I'm fortunate enough to be in different financial position where "to a degree" budget is not an issue car wise. For those (mainly us millennials) money is an object and when you want best bang for buck the 5.0 A10 is the ticket as of now. Ok think about it, why is it the best selling by far out of the 3? They have their issues with the crappy mt82 manual transmission and most everyone knows to run from those (any year) but the 6r80's overall are pretty stout. The looks are subjective and I won't comment there (some might like the look better, others might hate it). I personally prefer the look of the ss to the 5.0. As for the pp yes those are not all that at all. On a track setting the ss is clearly the better car. I'm talking a poor mans fun car brand new straight line performance on a budget. They love boost and trump anything in it's class for less $. I am simply stating the obvious and drive mainly all gm cars except my 2018 f150 4x4 so there is zero bias here.
That's your opinion. Off the line and for everyday driving on the street, the Camaro SS is the quicker car 9/10 times. Even in the quarter it's pretty much a wash.

My point was, the Camaro is worth the extra. And BTW, you can get a Camaro SS for 30-35k. I paid around 35k for mine. So it's not like you're breaking the bank for the extras that come with the base SS. Having extra cooling, a better transmission and a more reliable motor is more than worth it. If that's too much for the 'poor' man then he's certainly biting more than he can chew.

I've said it many times here. Bolting on a Supercharger or Turbo to ANY car and calling it a day to save money is doing it WRONG.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:38 PM   #66
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
That's your opinion. Off the line and for everyday driving on the street, the Camaro SS is the quicker car 9/10 times. Even in the quarter it's pretty much a wash.

My point was, the Camaro is worth the extra. And BTW, you can get a Camaro SS for 30-35k. I paid around 35k for mine. So it's not like you're breaking the bank for the extras that come with the base SS. Having extra cooling, a better transmission and a more reliable motor is more than worth it. If that's too much for the 'poor' man then he's certainly biting more than he can chew.

I've said it many times here. Bolting on a Supercharger or Turbo to ANY car and calling it a day to save money is doing it WRONG.
We will have to agree to disagree, because the 2018 A10 5.0 1/4 mile and mexico racing is faster than a stock ss. I also don't see the harm in bolting up a blower to a car for savings? there is a reason it's a popular route. If I had a base 2016+ ss I'd toss on a used lt4 blower and not turn up the boost too much and enjoy it. If I had a base 5.0 I'd toss on a roush and call it a day. To me (imho) for a budget go fast build it's pretty harmless. As for motor the coyote is just as reliable as an Lt, I think the Ls's are a bit more trustworthy on the other hand.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:18 PM   #67
torqueaddict

Quote:
We will have to agree to disagree, because the 2018 A10 5.0 1/4 mile and mexico racing is faster than a stock ss. I also don't see the harm in bolting up a blower to a car for savings? there is a reason it's a popular route. If I had a base 2016+ ss I'd toss on a used lt4 blower and not turn up the boost too much and enjoy it. If I had a base 5.0 I'd toss on a roush and call it a day. To me (imho) for a budget go fast build it's pretty harmless. As for motor the coyote is just as reliable as an Lt, I think the Ls's are a bit more trustworthy on the other hand.

That video is about as accurate as it gets when it comes to these 2 cars stock for stock.

The fast lists on the forums correspond to what you see here. The Mustang is catching up as the quarter ends and generally trap a bit higher. So yes, beyond the quarter the Mustang would most likely pull past the Camaro, but before that, the Camaro is king. The torque of the LT1 is nothing to sneeze at or underestimate.