Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #15
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Actually, GB, there's a TON of mismanaged expectations regarding this car...including initial availability...by a LOT of folks including, especially, consumers...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #16
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
I'm surprised that many are surprised at the low numbers. It makes sense to start the first quarter with a small number and ramp up as production continues. It happened with the initial production in '10, and it happened with the convertible. I don't see anything out of the ordinary
Old 10-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #17
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
History repeating, folks. If you didn't have a talk with your dealer before the 'official allocation' came out, you had a hard search to get one of the 2010's. I know it was almost October of 2009 before everyone on "The List" got their cars at my local dealership and they would let a guy off the street order.

There is no way to properly manage allocation on a hot car like this. Especially when the (and I use this term very jokingly) "Lesser Models" are still selling like hotcakes.

Do you put the push on ZL-1 production and let the other models suffer? GM has accountants and logistics people that get paid very well to make sure everything runs as smoothly as possible. I am pretty sure if there was a better way to do something, they would be doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #18
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
History repeating, folks. If you didn't have a talk with your dealer before the 'official allocation' came out, you had a hard search to get one of the 2010's. I know it was almost October of 2009 before everyone on "The List" got their cars at my local dealership and they would let a guy off the street order.

There is no way to properly manage allocation on a hot car like this. Especially when the (and I use this term very jokingly) "Lesser Models" are still selling like hotcakes.

Do you put the push on ZL-1 production and let the other models suffer? GM has accountants and logistics people that get paid very well to make sure everything runs as smoothly as possible. I am pretty sure if there was a better way to do something, they would be doing it.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #19
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
It seems to me that John Fitz gave the correct party line.
They have to try an anticipate what the initial demand might be at a certain price point, and make an estimation of how many cars they will need to build to satisfy the actual demand. Trying to make these estimations before the details of the car let alone the price is announced is going to be a WAG at best.
As John seems to have said, once it goes on sale and they find out the real demand, they will do their best to adjust their production to meet that demand.

I guess it all depends on what you choose to read into his statements.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #20
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Actually, GB, there's a TON of mismanaged expectations regarding this car...including initial availability...by a LOT of folks including, especially, consumers...
True. However, I think that Chevrolet could have mitigated the mismanagement of initial availability expectations somewhat had they been more clear with certain statements made early in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
There is a difference between managing allocations and managing customer expectations with regard to allocations.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #21
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Sorry, in my opinion, the milk has already been spilt, so we may as well not waste time crying about it. It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #22
blaSSt

Drives: 98 SS, 15 COPO, 09 ZR1
John Fitzpatrick and Chevrolet has done very well releasing information for the ZL1.

What the user community has done speculating ad nauseum set unrealistic expectations for some.

First of all I wouldn't take the statement to literally. In the mode of on line chat he surely meant "will do everything WE CAN to meet market demand". I am convinced they are. Getting your hopes up they can instantly produce thousands of cars for initial demand is unrealistic.

In a year or two there will be plenty ZL1's sitting on dealer showrooms, probably available at discounted prices. (I.E. Corvette ZR1's) But I understand that does not satisfy the fast food, fast computer, I WANT IT NOW, culture we live in.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #23
RPO_Z28

Drives: 2007 C6Z
If you want quality cars, you gotta take your time and not flood the market. Then everyone will complain about poor quality build.

Personally, I think Fitz and Scott are doing a wonderful job.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #24
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
No disagreement. My point is that I think that there could have been a better job of managing expectations with regard to ZL1 production and availability time frames. I have learned over the years that properly managing expectations is a important aspect of peoples' happiness and satisfaction.

I 100% agree! They have done a poor job of communicating initial launch production volumes. They have created a lot of unnecessary anxiety with people dying to spend money on their exciting new product. Shameful! People are standing in line to buy this car and after all this time they are going to trickle it into the market? Only GM.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #25
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post

I 100% agree! They have done a poor job of communicating initial launch production volumes. They have created a lot of unnecessary anxiety with people dying to spend money on their exciting new product. Shameful! People are standing in line to buy this car and after all this time they are going to trickle it into the market? Only GM.

Standing in line to order the car ... that has not been priced yet. Once the price is announced, and it's time to pay the piper, that line might just fall in line with supply. Just sayin...........

Do you think the 2012 ZL1 will become a "collector" or similar to the ZR1, which does not look to be calibrated to become one of the rarest most collectible Vettes? I think it was Oldscool who predicted they would only make 1969 ZL1's this year in a NOD to 1969. ?? Might be nice. 1969 total 2012 ZL1's worldwide might be similar collectibility of 69 ZL1's in 1969.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #26
REVENGE

Drives: 1999 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Standing in line to order the car ... that has not been priced yet. Once the price is announced, and it's time to pay the piper, that line might just fall in line with supply. Just sayin...........

Do you think the 2012 ZL1 will become a "collector" or similar to the ZR1, which does not look to be calibrated to become one of the rarest most collectible Vettes? I think it was Oldscool who predicted they would only make 1969 ZL1's this year in a NOD to 1969. ?? Might be nice. 1969 total 2012 ZL1's worldwide might be similar collectibility of 69 ZL1's in 1969.
These cars will not become collector cars. In 15 years these cars will the CDs and the electric cars will be the Ipods. Basically there will be older folks who prefer the gasoline car but the young adults will prefer the electric cars and that is what will be popular.
REVENGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #27
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by REVENGE View Post
These cars will not become collector cars. In 15 years these cars will the CDs and the electric cars will be the Ipods. Basically there will be older folks who prefer the gasoline car but the young adults will prefer the electric cars and that is what will be popular.
I tend to think that electric cars for performance enthusiasts will not take root. Possibly Natural Gas which is plentiful and clean. But electrics just don't have the staying power. Just an opinion. Electrics ..... not so much.

Electric cars being mainstream in 15 years would be about as prominent as an electric flyswatter/zapper is compared to the original. The original still is what people want!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #28
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Answer to OP's question. No.