Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Were Initial ZL1 Production Expectations Properly Managed?

With respect to many things in life whether one ends up happy or not is often dependent on one's expectations. It is my opinion that Chevrolet did not properly manage expectations with regard to release and initial production quantities of the ZL1. On February 9, 2011, John Fitz, Camaro Marketing Manager, stated with respect to the ZL1 production that Chevrolet "will do everything to meet market demand."

I believe that the above statement is a little misleading, at least with regard to 2012 ZL1 production. I think that the statement by Mr. Fitz should have been more qualified, indicating that initial first year ZL1 production would likely be lower than 3,000 units, and that, therefore, it could easily be 6 or 8 months before ZL1 production quantities would be at regularly targeted annual production levels. Such a statement would have indicated that there would probably be a period of time after launch before everyone who wanted a ZL1 could order one without any constraints.

Mr. Fitz's actual statement could be inferred to mean that at any time after launch anyone who wanted could walk into a Chevrolet dealership and successfully order a ZL1. I think that is at the root of a lot of the current disappointment. If we were explicitly given guidance that it was likely that initial ZL1 production ramp would be slow, and that less than 3,000 units would be produced for the 2012 model year, many would have realized early on that they would likely have to wait for a period of time after launch to acquire a ZL1, and the wait would have been properly built into expectations, and, there would be no disconnect between reality and expectations, and, therefore, no disappointment.

With all of the publicity and marketing effort that has been put into the ZL1, one would think that Chevrolet would have ensured that it had the ability to produce enough ZL1s to meet demand from the beginning, otherwise, the entire marketing effort ends up be a large waste of resources. The last thing a company wants to have is a marketing campaign that is not consistent with its ability to produce vehicles, and have the resulting mismatch between between the two end up annoying and disappointing its potential customer base.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
Joebot8484
ZL1 # 1307

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1, 2008 Hummzilla H3
Good point goldenbear! I think they should have given a sponsored dealer on this site enough allocations to get us all our ZL1's!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Slow ramp up, no different than any other new model.

With a little patience, the supply line will meet the demand line on the little chart.

Unbunch your panties, have a beer, and relax.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
I knew it was gonna be like this so i built my own for less money. In a couple weeks i will have a full Pedders Justice road course suspension installed. Yea, i know, it would be nice to have the badge....but i cant wait a couple years due to the availibility. When all done, i dont think the ZL1 will be able to touch me....of course unless it is modded also.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
If he had mentioned the limited availablity back then, it would have probably resulted in much higher dealer markup.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
If he had mentioned the limited availablity back then, it would have probably resulted in much higher dealer markup.
I don't quite follow, as most of the dealers that I contacted who indicated that they would be adding markup stated that they would base their ADM on how many ZL1s they were actually allocated and on how much interest there was in the vehicle. So I'm not sure that knowing far in advance that there was limited availability would affect the amount of ADM that a dealer would apply.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
Old 10-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
EVERYONE interested, seriously or otherwise, in a ZL1 would LIKE to have one TODAY...but they'll wait till Spring. Meeting demand will NOT happen TODAY...or by Spring... I'm sure they'll keep their word, and eventually do "all they can" to build "your" ZL1. Maybe as a '13 or '14... After all, how many MR suspensions can Delphi make? How many blowers can GM get, to finish off the LSA? How many HD Tremecs? Etc...

If, in the meantime, you'd like a car with similar performance and built by GM-only, "let me show you this lovely CTS-V right over here..."
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I don't think they did a good job but most car companies don't on new non-mass produced models.

Samll dealerships still don't know crap about anything. you are a few days from being able to order and the infomation flow down is crappy. I had to find the curb wieght myself on a pdf that was not supposed to be given out to the public.

Can you imagine if apple or a technology company ran like this. Ohh hear is a new iphone. I am not going to tell you what it can do and we are only going to build a few to start.

People want them so some will put up with it. I wanted a chanllenger when they first came out and dodge did the same thing so it is not only chevy.

I won't get a 2ss too much slower than my Z06 and I am not sure if I will wait till next oct for a ZL1. So they could have potentially lost a sale because they can't effective manage they supply chain.

LEAN MANUFACTURING 101 would be produce to order at the volume the demand dictates. Obviouly chevy still needs to grown up a bit here.
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Meeting demand will NOT happen TODAY...or by Spring... I'm sure they'll keep their word, and eventually do "all they can" to build "your" ZL1. Maybe as a '13 or '14...
No disagreement. My point is that I think that there could have been a better job of managing expectations with regard to ZL1 production and availability time frames. I have learned over the years that properly managing expectations is a important aspect of peoples' happiness and satisfaction.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
If you want one, go buy one... whats the complaint. Did you call all 3100 dealerships? Clearly not because I've already talked to several which have more allocation than they do orders.

No popular car can meet demand... I dont know what your complaining about. if they can only make 7k per year, and demand calls for about 7k a year, what are you complaining about? the model year?

7k per year = 3k in half a year, thats about right... I'm not disappointed by the supply, I'm disappointed by demand... I was hoping people didnt want the ZL1 lol... Just like I hate how so many people are buying the new camaro.

Production is near linear... its not like they are saying "hmmm, lets sell 1000 2012s, then turn off production for 6 months and start making 2013s"- no they are going to start building them, and will keep building them, and what year they are is simply when you get to them.

They are going to produce as many as people want to buy, but they can't get them to you on day one. I wanted a camaro SS on day one- Couldnt get it. I wanted a jeep patriot on day 1, couldnt get it. I wanted a Droid on day 1, couldnt do it. I wanted a Xbox, Nintendo, wii, etc. on day 1, couldnt do it.

I've never heard of any product in the world that is in demand and able to meet demand on day 1. Its not even smart from a business standpoint, plus they'd have to increase the cost to do it... (storage and capital costs at least if they start production 6 months early).
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumblebeeAmigo View Post
If you want one, go buy one... whats the complaint ...

... I've never heard of any product in the world that is in demand and able to meet demand on day 1. Its not even smart from a business standpoint, plus they'd have to increase the cost to do it... (storage and capital costs at least if they start production 6 months early).
You appear to have missed the point about managing expectations.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
He lost me at wanting a Jeep Patriot on day 1... I didn't think anyone EVER wanted those POS phony Jeeps. To me there is one Jeep and it has plastic windows and no carpet!

As for the roll out... I think they did a fine job. People have not patience.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #13
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
GB, "managing expectations", in the case of the ZL1, was an impossibility from Day 1 (last Feb.). And it suffered from spoon-fed info that was trickled into the avid/rabid marketplace. The PRICE isn't even known, yet...and won't be until 9 months after "announcement" and fully 3 months, now, before the first few actually get into customers' hands. Sure it's a helluva car, but HOW MUCH?! And initial orders MUST be placed before the price is known!!

But hey, that worked for the car itself...how long was it from "announcement" to "order entry" to "first on your block"? Remember all the angst and hysteria regarding the Gen-5 Camaro, who would get what and when, pricing, colors, features, options, performance?

At least THIS time, dealers KNOW how many (if any) they're getting, initially, saving needless hassles from buyers who can't buy from them.

Simply, history repeating itself...just fewer folks wringing their hands, this time...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #14
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
As for the roll out... I think they did a fine job. People have not patience.
The only issue I have is with, in my opinion, the inadequate management of expectations regarding initial availability.