Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #43
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
While I think the Volt has been a failure from a sales perspective the notion that we should be upset as tax payers is a joke. GM posted some of the highest profits in its history despite the Volt, was that not worth the tax payer investment? Would we be better off without GM, the answer is an obvious no. Not every product is going to be a hit, at least the Volt itself for what it is a good car. It could have been another Aztec after all...
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #44
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
It's ridiculous how many people in this country openly want the car to fail.
I don't think that they want it to fail.

The way I see it people are just scared to go out the norm and try something totally new. Like these EV cars.

It's like how people back in the day hated computers. Now we can't live without them.
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #45
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
The Volt, the Leaf, the Mitsubishi i, the Smart Car, etc. etc., are cars that fit a niche market of people who think they are doing something good for the enviroment. There are only so many of them to go around, and they can only buy one car.(Can't have any ostantatious consumption where the public can see.) The general public understands that a cheap fuel efficient car will save more than a high-priced hybrid all day long and twice on Sunday.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #46
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Quote:
I don't want the Volt to fail, I just don't see how it can be a success at the current price point.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:00 AM   #47
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Either way, I see it as a great car that's worth the money. If I had to worry more about gas(I have a company vehicle.) I would be all over it. I don't believe the leaf is even half the car the volt is. I know it looks like crap compared to the volt. Heck, it looks like crap compared to just about anything. LOL

I hope GM finds a way to get sales moving on it. They have a lot of money invested in it ,and it would be nice to get those works back on the job.
They could find full time employment if they re-opened the Trailblazer/Envoy assembly line.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #48
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:

GM can't control dealer mark-ups. If your dealer is marking-up cars then they're shooting themselves in the foot. Blame the idiot dealers, not GM or the Volt. That doesn't make the car overpriced when it's MSRP (maybe I need to spell that out for you, Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price) is right in line with the competition.

The Volt doesn't catch on fire either...unless you're a total moron and you don't disconnect the battery after wrecking the car, which every first responder is trained to do. Again, don't blame GM or the Volt for other people's stupidity (looking at you, NHTSA).

You can cover your eyes and ears all you want, like it or not, electrification is on the way. Not hinting or trying to imply anything here, but even the Camaro has a chance of receiving some sort of alternative powertrain.
Blasphemy!!!

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #49
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
They could find full time employment if they re-opened the Trailblazer/Envoy assembly line.
I'm with of on this one man!!

GM should bring back the Trailblazer SS to kick some SRT a$$!! Yes I'm talking to you Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
[/SIZE]

Blasphemy!!!
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #50
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
Profit per unit (read: profit per Volt) is not what matters to a firm; total profit over the long-run is what is sought after. The author of that article needs to get that through his head.
No profit is too small, no perk is too costly, and no risk is too great... if you are too big to fail.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #51
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
That article is ridiculous.

What everyone seems to be forgetting amid the rampant "Volt-hating" (which is absolutely astounding to me, in and of itself...), is that while GM was perhaps overly optimistic of the Volt's sales projections....Volt sales are actually increasing, nonetheless.

They're not ceasing production, so Chevydude - I'm not sure I understand your "sleeping with the fishes" comment...They're idling the plant for a few weeks to let inventory settle down to mirror demand.

And for the record, we never acted like you were the devil...funny how things are remembered....
They have created their own problem here. This news is already a couple of days old, yet I sit down and watch a couple programs tonight on TDC and I have been subjected to commercial after commercial for the Volt. They stuffed commercials for the thing into the Superbowl as well... and that one was particularly revolting "The car America HAD to build..."

They know the car is radioactive right now and a political football and they don't have the sense to shut up about it? Everyone knows about the Volt already, so advertising it incessantly is only annoying people who wouldn't buy it anyway and making them dislike the brand.

They need to cool it and do some sort of tastful reworking of the commercials and reintroduce the car like any other car. I do not appreciate being hit over the head with this thing every time I turn on the TV.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #52
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEo View Post
The Volt has been in the Market for to long to have a Mark Up that much. Having a mark up is overpriced. Yes the Camaro did have a mark up but did not last this long.

I agree that the volt has more technology than the Pruis. But the Pruis is selling even tho it's inferior compared to the Volt. Because its not overpriced and doesn't catches on fire. lol

I don't see this EV cars lasting verny long.

You can get a brand new 3 series with that price!
The dealers USUALLY mark up cars that are in high demand, not ones that are piling up on lots to the point they lay off the workers that build it and close the plant for a month.

Maybe it's time for Chevy to figure out a "No Dealer Markup" policy and enforce it. That way we can get new Camaro models for NOT $50K too.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #53
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:

The Volt doesn't catch on fire either...unless you're a total moron and you don't disconnect the battery after wrecking the car, which every first responder is trained to do. Again, don't blame GM or the Volt for other people's stupidity (looking at you, NHTSA).
Just for the record, to completely prevent a fire you must REMOVE the battery after an accident. The Lithium in the battery itself can catch fire because it reacts with oxygen. Damage to the battery can lead to exposure of the Lithium and eventual fire.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #54
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
If this is true then perhaps it already has...

But at least we can rethink about WHY this happened and take corrective actions. Perhaps we can open a dialogue and figure things out to help?
Old 03-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #55
John@AutoAgenda

Drives: 2004 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65

No one wants the car to fail, the American public is sick and tired of being treated like a bunch of dumb sheep and are awake to what's going on here. I just rented a new Ford Focus which retails for around $20k that got 42mpg and did not require government subsidized rebates to get someone to buy it and gets the same if not better mpg then a Volt, nor did Ford take a bailout.

The market NOT the government determines if a car is going to be successful and you are seeing exactly what happens when someone produces something no one wants for a price twice what you can get something comparable that's WAY less complicated.

John@AutoAgenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:56 AM   #56
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I like to see more alternative to gas vehicles. This is the only way that petroleum companies will become competitive and charge less for gasoline.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote