Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #57
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Bottom line the car is WAY too expensive and about 30 miles on a charge is just bad. This is a very nice car, but cost and efficency is prohibitive to good sales. Until battery technology becomes much, much better and cost is brought down, electric vehicles will continue to struggle to make a dent in the amount of them on the road.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #58
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

It's ridiculous how many people in this country openly want the car to fail.
since they're so sore over the bailout you'd think they'd want it to succeed and the stock to go up so the country would get the money back, but they're more concerned with trying to use it as a hammer against the President.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #59
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
I like to see more alternative to gas vehicles. This is the only way that petroleum companies will become competitive and charge less for gasoline.
It would be nice to be an energy independent country. We can do it, but many people in charge will not allow it. But, you are right, give the people and alternative to gas that is not gonna cost them an arm and a leg and is efficient, then you will see gas drop like a rock. Competition is good. Anyway we can stick it to OPEC I'm for it.

Last edited by BackinBlackSS/RS; 03-06-2012 at 09:29 AM.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #60
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Bottom line the car is WAY too expensive and about 30 miles on a charge is just bad. This is a very nice car, but cost and efficency is prohibitive to good sales. Until battery technology becomes much, much better and cost is brought down, electric vehicles will continue to struggle to make a dent in the amount of them on the road.
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #61
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
The wifey sent this to me via email the other day......

Cost to operate a Chevy Volt
- Eric Bolling (Fox Business Channel's Follow the Money) test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors.

For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.

Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles. It will take you 4 1/2 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph

According to General Motors, the Volt battery hold 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.

The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I looked up what I pay for electricity.

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $011.6 per kwh.

16 kwh x $011.6 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery for 10 hours.

$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery.

Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine only that gets 32 mpg.

$3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car cost about $15,000 while the Volt costs $46,000.

So Obama wants us to pay 3 times as much for a car that costs more that 7 time as much to run and takes 3 times as long to drive across country.

REALLY?
CooG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #62
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooG View Post
Cost to operate a Chevy Volt

Eric Bolling (Fox Business Channel's Follow the Money) test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors.

For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.

Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles. It will take you 4 1/2 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph

According to General Motors, the Volt battery hold 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.

The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I looked up what I pay for electricity.

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $011.6 per kwh.

16 kwh x $011.6 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.

$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery.

Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine only that gets 32 mpg.

So Obama wants us to pay 3 times as much for a car that costs more that 7 time as much to run and takes 3 times as long to drive across country.

REALLY?
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/chevyvolt.asp

Want to try that again?

Just another example of what I'm talking about. People in this country WANT the car to fail.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #63
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John@AutoAgenda View Post

No one wants the car to fail, the American public is sick and tired of being treated like a bunch of dumb sheep and are awake to what's going on here. I just rented a new Ford Focus which retails for around $20k that got 42mpg and did not require government subsidized rebates to get someone to buy it and gets the same if not better mpg then a Volt, nor did Ford take a bailout.

The market NOT the government determines if a car is going to be successful and you are seeing exactly what happens when someone produces something no one wants for a price twice what you can get something comparable that's WAY less complicated.

BINGO! The problem with the Volt is all the cars hitting the roads that get get 40 plus MPG on the highway. Car and Driver did a comparo of the Volt and Cruze Eco a couple months back. In the city a fully charged volt of course ruled the roost, but on the highway the Cruze got something like 4MPG BETTER than the volt. For a lot of America, unlike Europe, the highway mileage a car can get is far more important than what it will get roving around a city.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #64
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
A local dealer is offering a $299/mo, 36 month lease on the Volt. My wife spent $93.00 a month for gas last year. With a Volt she would spend the minimum on gas as her commute is 15 miles round trip. All her other driving would fall into the electric range of the Volt. A Volt lease for here would be $206 with the fuel saving. A brand new car with a warranty for the duration of the lease = cheap operating expense.

I look forward to the day of high performance electric cars with instant torque.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #65
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
I'm glad you brought up Eric Bolling. He's been bashing GM ever since the bailout. In recent month's he's turned his attention to the Volt . I don't trust anything out of his mouth. He's also a commodities trader. He trades Oil and natural gas specifically.
think about that. and think about that the next time you hear him bash Obama over gas price's.

The man is also an idiot. a few month's back one of his co-host's mentioned the tax cuts in the 'stimulus bill' of 3 years ago. He said no, no we're talking about the stimulus.
He didn't know..literally didn't know that the bill he had been bashing on TV for 3 years had over 300 Billion of tax cuts in it.
There's no one on tv i despise more than that guy.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #66
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooG View Post
The wifey sent this to me via email the other day......

Cost to operate a Chevy Volt - Eric Bolling (Fox Business Channel's Follow the Money) test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors.

16 kwh x $011.6 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery for 10 hours.

REALLY?
Wifey needs a better news source. A reporter that fails at basic fact checking
is pretty much not really a reporter. We call those types blowbags.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #67
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
A local dealer is offering a $299/mo, 36 month lease on the Volt. My wife spent $93.00 a month for gas last year. With a Volt she would spend the minimum on gas as her commute is 15 miles round trip. All her other driving would fall into the electric range of the Volt. A Volt lease for here would be $206 with the fuel saving. A brand new car with a warranty for the duration of the lease = cheap operating expense.

I look forward to the day of high performance electric cars with instant torque.
Question, how much do they want down? how many miles a year?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #68
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
You know the volt isn't a bad idea, it actually would make a nice DD for me as I work close to home and spend most of my time commuting 25 miles or less. I do get tired of putting $60.00 a week into my Ram. The problem is the pricetag. 40K for this vehicle is just ridiculous. Price the car mid 20K and you will probably see some movement.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #69
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Question, how much do they want down? how many miles a year?
They want $1499 down and mileage is 10,000 per year.
Let's face it, the Volt is not for everyone, but fits my wifes driving habits.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #70
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
heh, just saw this article on MSNBC:
http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...ar-of-the-year
Quote:
It’s been a tough year for the Chevrolet Volt, General Motors’ once-celebrated plug-in hybrid. But perhaps it’s about to see its fortunes turn as a jury of Continental motoring journalists declare Volt and its Opel Ampera sibling the European Car of the year.