Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
Thumbs down Camaro

it "looks" like a 2013 zl1 convertible

Via Yahoo:

Quote:
To paraphrase Rene Magritte, this is not a car. Yes, it is a Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 convertible, and it has an engine which can turn those 30-inch Forgiato gold saucers into forward motion. But the transformation by a Tampa tuning shop into what it calls the King ZL1 has placed the Camaro into the kind of debate heard around avant-garde galleries: Is it a piece of art, or a piece of garbage?

Built and shown by 813 Customs, the King ZL1 follows a similar effort on a less-powerful King Camaro unveiled earlier this year. Both required a near-complete teardown and reassembly, with bespoke fiberglass dash and door pieces to handle a Radio Shack's worth of speakers and monitors, including the three 23-inch TVs that pop up from the back seat. The outside gets a gold-chrome vinyl wrap, and the 6.2-liter V-8 also gets a brace of upgrades, such as a Whipple supercharger, that can never be used in anger thanks to custom-painted 30-inch Forgiato Maschili wheels that make the Camaro like Lolo Jones running hurdles in spike heels.

As someone who spends a lot of time reading what people say on the Internet about cars, I can safely say the King ZL1 has stirred a more heated reaction than any other vehicle I've seen in quite a spell. Camaro fans take their cars seriously, and the idea of turning a ZL1 into a slow-rolling rec room enrages many; one commenter called it "the murder of this American muscle car." The Facebook page of 813 Customs was so filled with invective, including some blatant racism, that the company's owner had to respond, noting that he's paid to build cars even when they're not to his personal taste:

Quote:
Listen its pretty disgusting the things people are saying, everybody has there owns styles, lifted trucks with mud tires, lifted cars with big wheels, lowered cars, racing riding lawnmowers, clothing, hair, etc. To judge a car with such ignorance is disgusting. If you really no what it takes to build a car and your a fan of cars you would respect every custom car for the time, effort and style that,that person came up with even its not your style. Building cars is a hobby for people PEOPLE DONT BUILD CARS TO MAKE ANOTHER PERSON HAPPY they build it to there own style and what they want.
In this, 813 has a point. The majority of car enthusiasts see their passion spring from drivability; not just how much pure speed, but how a machine moves and sounds under power, and the appreciation for the engineering that made it possible. That dominant sensibility has always been at odds with those who care less about moving and more about catching people looking. If a donked Camaro or a BMW stanced so that it's only millimeters off the ground count as crimes against automotive culture, so too must the $2.3 million Bugatti Veyron L'Or Blanc, whose hand-crafted paint swirls and porcelain body and wheel inserts make it too valuable to drive at high speeds.

This King ZL1 isn't a muscle-car murder or a sign of America's impending moral collapse any more than the rolling cartoons emerging from George Barris' shop were in the 1960s. It's something else; an exercise in fashion that pushes the boundaries of taste and revs our passions -- but it won't transform back into a plain Camaro no matter how many gallons of haterade get spewed over it.

Name:  kingzl1dubs.jpg
Views: 22665
Size:  81.4 KB

Name:  zl1kinginside.jpg
Views: 13069
Size:  94.4 KB

Last edited by zkdreads; 11-20-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
sonic656

Drives: 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Old 11-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
Renegade
Banned

Drives: Camaro SS Edition
Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
Not one of these again. :(
Old 11-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
Old 11-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
So it's real. Why God why?
Old 11-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Old 11-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
Not one of these again. :(
seems like there doing 1 a month
Old 11-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
Renegade
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkdreads View Post
seems like there doing 1 a month
I just hope they don't do one for Christmas.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I love black and gold, but that right there is crazy
Old 11-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
Renegade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
Do you think the rims are BIG enough?
Old 11-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
SNK

Drives: 2010 2LT...Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
I hate to correct you but unfortunately that is not BLACK and gold. Look closely and you'll see that the top and GFX are GREEN!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
My45thAnniversaryCamaro

Drives: 45th Anniversary
Someone posted the video of them making this car the other night on here, funny because its not even a zl1, just a poser car
Old 11-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Repost from yesterday don't care enough to find the post but it is not a real zl1 it started life as a 2012 SS vert and went down hill from there
Old 11-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
Renegade
Banned

Flash & furious!

Closed Thread